Friday, December 12, 2008

Announcement and other things

I have an announcement! My second born son is engaged to be married to a sweet young woman. He went to her parents house on Thanksgiving to ask her father for permission to marry her and the father said yes. He proposed and she said yes. We are happy to be having her join our family.

Now to the quilty stuff. Yesterday I taught an applique class and afterwards I decided to go to a Ben Franklin store that is going out of business. So sad. They sold Moda fabric too. Well, their fabric is 50% off right now and I found the backing fabric for my patriotic quilt.

This week I also had my last charm exchange for the year. Hear are all my charms. A charm quilt is a one-patch quilt using a different fabric for every piece. No repeats allowed. Some charm quilts have over a thousand different fabrics in them. I have made 2 charm quilts. One of them has over 2000 pieces in it. I started a hexagon charm quilt several years ago. It is in with the rest of the UFO's.



Just had to share this picture of my Carolina blue sky. The last couple of days have been rainy but today it is sunny, crisp and clear. The air smells so good and the sky is so blue.
Here is another Christmas decoration. The pattern for this doorknob hanger came from www.allpeoplequilt.com. There are a lot of great projects on this site. I used batting for the snowman.I am off to my sewing room now to see how much I can get done on my patriotic quilt. Have a great week-end.

With Passion, Carrie P.

15 comments:

  1. Sad about the Ben Franklin. I just think we are in this death spiral - people not spending because they are out of work and business busting because of no spending and it keeps going and going. To get this moving in the other direction seems like a monumental task. Sigh.

    Cute charms! I love them. I can find all sorts of things to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, NO! I didn't know about the Ben Franklin going out. I'm very sad. Your backing fabric is perfect... love that little snowman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your son's upcoming nuptials, Carrie! Don't you just love it that he asked her father for her hand...so very sweet!
    I had never heard of a charm quilt using different charms - what a great idea - especially for all those left over ones.
    Have a great weekend sewing!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your snowman door decoration!! Too sad about the Ben Franklin...we have one here in Il and I just love going in it. Hugs, Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. we lost our ben franklin years ago...i loved going in there...they had everything! please tell your son i said congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Ben Franklins but haven't lived near one in years. Sad.

    Congratulations on your growing family. Such a happy time.

    I have the same little door hanger a friend made me. I'll be sharing it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your son's engagement.. what a wonderful christmas present!

    Our Ben Franklin closed a couple years back. I was upset.. it was always one of my favorite stores.. and the only place I could find those big diaper pins that I like to use to wrap baby shower gifts with. And also Woolworth's.. ours has been out of business for about 8 years, and I just read on Melanie's blog that theirs was closing in the UK. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute snowman! I keep forgetting you have a blog. You have now been added to my blog list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to your son and family! Love the snowman and how fun to have all those charms to make a charm quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! Oh, and I love the doorknob hanger...I actually have that pattern...it's another one on the list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on your sons engagement, an exciting event to look forward too.
    I love getting a great deal on backing fabric, and yours looks very patriotic. I love red!
    Your door hanger turned out very cute, love your snowman. :)
    Show us a pic sometime of your charm quilts, I have collected charm squares but never put one together.
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  12. congrads to your son and his 'soon to be'.....he seems to show great character....hmmmm.....wonder where he could have learned that..?.......love all your 'new' fabrics.....how could you not stand to buy 'tons' with that kind of sale!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats to your son and soon to be new daughter inlaw.
    It's fun to do a charm quilt, do you have a theme? How big are the charms?
    Love the little snowman hanger, so cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So happy for your son and your new daughter! How exciting to see your family growing ... more people to love.

    I just love those little charm squares. I bought some a while back and had no idea what they were for ... I just loved all the different fabrics. LOL Guess I need to get to work!

    Smiles,
    Lea

    ReplyDelete

So glad you have come by for a visit.