Monday, December 22, 2008

Brrrrr!! It is cold here in North Carolina. Eighteen degrees with a wind chill of five. No comparison to Ohio where Stephanie lives. (go check out her trees, too cute) So I am not complaining.
I am keeper of the wood stove. During the winter I keep this thing stoked. It is in the the middle of the house which is the kitchen and it will keep the whole house pretty warm. Sure helps keep the electric bill lower. See the pot on top of the stove. I will put one or two of these mulling spice bags in the water and as it evaporates it smells like I am baking something really good. No calories that way! This is a seasonal product and I get it at a Whole Foods store if anyone wants to know. It is really good in a cup of hot apple juice or cider.
Here are the calories. We make gingersnaps every Christmas and my daughter and I decided to make some a little bigger so we could use our Martha Stewart stencils. She sifted powdered sugar on them. We also made fudge and sugar cookies with sprinkles on them.
The week-end was very full. As I mentioned a couple of days ago our family was going to meet my son's future in-laws. My husband and I met them at a restaurant Saturday night and it was so nice to meet them. They are just really nice down home folk. We felt like we had known them a long time. It was very comfortable with them. Sunday afternoon everyone was at the house for lunch so they got to meet our other son and daughter. It was a really nice time. The future in-laws live 3 1/2 hours east of us so unfortunately we will not see them much. Several hours after they headed back home, my son called and said thanks for hanging out with them. It was a special time for him and know he was glad we were all there for him. He is so happy and we a happy for him.
After everyone left I went upstairs and worked on stitching more stars on the border of my patriotic quilt. It is coming along.
I found a free applique BOM for those interested. Here is the site. http://www.eqg.us/patterns.html There is also a pieced BOM. They are both very nice.
With Passion, Carrie P.

10 comments:

  1. Oh I need one of those stoves! We have a Whole Foods but don't visit often...bad for the wallet! The kids want to go so perhaps I'll find the mulling spice bags. Beautiful cookies! Your family sounds wonderful. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful weekend. I'm glad the visit with the future in-laws was a success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful way to sprinkle the cookies!! Stencils.. how clever.
    Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That stove looks nice and cosy to sit by ... and thank you for the link for the applique blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie, your weather is right in line with ours now! Although today we are closer to the freezing mark which almost feels balmy compared to what we've had! I'm with Stephanie - we go to Whole Foods as "entertainment" just once in a while as it does tend to put a big dent in our pockets, but we love it!
    Thanks for the free BOM link - I think I'll have some fun with that!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. those cookies look wonderful
    I need to get those stencils too cute!
    glad everything went well with the future in laws!~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those stencils -- they're absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The gingersnaps look so pretty. They are one of my favourite cookies.

    Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The stove is beautiful. I have one in my kitchen too although it is not functional. It came out of the house that my husband's grandmother was born in. I put candles in the bottom and somehow it makes the room feel warmer.
    Merry Christmas.
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete

So glad you have come by for a visit.