I have been working on little dresses from
Nanette's very cute pattern. When I am going to be making a lot of the same pattern I like to use this Templar plastic. Some plastics will melt when you just barely touch an iron to it. So if you are going to use plastic make sure it is the right kind for the technique you will be using for. As you can see I save everything because you just don't know when you will need a tiny piece.

I take the Templar and trace the pattern onto it using a pigma pen. If you use pencil it will smear as you handle the plastic piece. Cut it out. After I cut it out I will rub my finger along the edges and if I feel any rough spots/points I will take an emery board/nail file to smooth the edges of the plastic. If there are any little points left over from cutting those will actually show up when you are trying to iron the fabric around the plastic. The edges will not be smooth. Next I will trace the pattern on the back side of the fabric. I will trace on the bias of the fabric when I have curves because then you don't have to fight the curves as you are working with them. Cut out the fabric pattern leaving 3/16" for the seam allowance. I will then spray some Magic Sizing in a little cup and let it become liquid. Next take a small paint brush and paint the edges of the seam allowance with the Magic Sizing. Put the Templar pattern back onto the backside of the cut out piece of fabric. I will use a Clover mini iron to press the edges of the fabric up around the Templar plastic pattern. You can see from the lavender dress that I have clipped a few places on the fabric. This helps the fabric go around the plastic easier. Do not clip past your drawn line. If you do the fabric will have an irregular shape to it. You want to try to stop the clip mark right before the drawn line. After you have finished ironing, let it cool, and then pull out the plastic carefully and you will have a perfect shape ready to applique.

Here are some of the cute little dresses I have finished. I have a lot cut out but I am adding trim to those. So I have to do that first. As you can see two of the dresses have some trim at the waist of the dress. This pattern would be great for those of you are new to applique. Very good for beginners.

If you are new to my blog and to applique you can check out my other tutorials on my sidebar.
With Passion,
Carrie P.
The best way to secure future happiness is to be as happy as is rightfully possible today.
Charles W. Eliot
This is going to be a very cute project when done. I have still not dived head first into anything requiring applique
ReplyDeleteGreat tips as usual, Carrie. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteWon't it be fun thinking up different ways to embellish the dresses!
your dresses are so sweet - i love your fabric choices! ☺
ReplyDeleteCute little dresses! A long ago started project that needs attention again. :-)
ReplyDeleteAwesome tips for using the Templar, Carrie.
Cute little dresses! A long ago started project that needs attention again. :-)
ReplyDeleteAwesome tips for using the Templar, Carrie.
CUTE dresses! Good tip on filing the rough edges. So that's what I should use my clover mini iron for? No more burned fingers! You can see how much I applique. Boy that iron would have come in handing making all those circles for my dresden plate quilt.
ReplyDeleteSuch cute little dresses. They would be fun to embellish.
ReplyDeleteI love the little dresses!!! I just spent a month looking for my little Clover iron. Found it as soon as I gave up - isn't that how it always goes? I don't usually do the turn and press method, but for these little dresses, I think it would be the easiest path to success. The quilt is going to be darling! I can't wait to see it finished.
ReplyDeleteYour little dresses are very pretty! Thanks for the tutorial.
ReplyDeleteIt's so funny you posted about this today...because I was just going to e-mail you a question. I was using my "Perfect Circle" the other day making posie flower centers...and I guess since I was doing so many in a row the template got too much heat and is curved now. Should I just throw that circle away...or would you continue to use it?
ReplyDeleteLoved the tutorial Carrie!! It's so much fun to see how others handle their applique. I save all the little bits too LOL.
ReplyDeleteCrispy
what darling little dresses!
ReplyDeleteHow timely - I just bought this pattern the other day- I think I'll try your method - thanks for the pointers.
ReplyDeletePrecious dresses and a well-done tutorial, this is one method that I like to use, too. But you are oh, so right, that it must be TEMPLAR!
ReplyDeleteLesson one super,just the way I will do it! how about lesson two,the applique stitch!??
ReplyDeleteDarling..makes me want to play dress up as a kid again!! Now if I had little girls I'd have to whip up this quilt!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for a great tutorial, Carrie! The little dresses are so adorable!
ReplyDeleteThat quilt is going to be so darn cute! How fun to embellish the little dresses!
ReplyDeleteI've never tried Templar before. Me thinks I will have to give it a shot!
ReplyDeleteI love that templar plastic, those dresses are just darling! Can't wait to see it all put together.
ReplyDeleteJust too darned cute for words. How neat would it be to use old, actually-worn dresses from gramma to make applique? What a nice keepsake quilt it would be. Thanks for sharing your applique tips with us!
ReplyDeleteGreat tutorial!
ReplyDeleteThose are so sweet!!! Great tips, thank you!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great method when doing the same shape over and over. This is going to be such an adorable quilt.
ReplyDeleteI've never tried this templar plastic, but it is something to look into and try! Thanks for the tutorial and your dresses look devine!
ReplyDeleteCute little dresses! They will make a great quilt.
ReplyDeleteGreat Idea! Love the dresses, too.
ReplyDeleteCarrie those are just adorable. I made that quilt for my grandaughter several months ago. It was alot of fun.
ReplyDeleteCarrie, your dresses are so cute from Nanette's pattern. Thanks for the helpful tutorial.
ReplyDeleteKeep Stitchen'
Bonnie
Another great tutorial. Thanks for sharing your talent. I love this pattern. Your dresses are darling.
ReplyDeleteGreat tip and wow...those dresses looks so cute...wish I had a waist like that!
ReplyDeleteLove all the dresses! The Templar idea looks like a good one.
ReplyDeletefirst I love your dresses your quilt will look awesome.. second I just love templar applique when I am using a pattern over and over again..it is so worth it. I used it on my AMG blocks just a dab of glue to put on your background and no pins.. great tutorial thanks so much
ReplyDeleteThanks for explaining it so well, these are very good tips. And those cute dresses, so pretty!
ReplyDeleteThank you for your wonderful tutorial. I found it really helpful.
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh they are so so cute. I'm loving your tutorials. Thank you so much!
ReplyDeleteThank you for the wonderful tips! The one about using the emery board to smooth the edges is especially mind-blowing for me... genius! Those dresses are looking so cute!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad I came to visit. I love the dress, and where can I get the pattern. I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge with us.
ReplyDeleteThanks in advance for your reply. Evita
Great tutorial. I have just started going through your tutes. I want to learn to applique (better) and I figured you are the one to learn from!!
ReplyDelete