Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Old is New Again!

Cockscomb and Currants. Grapes and Oakleaf. No matter what you call it, these are very old blocks. From the 1800's.

I own this book and I have wanted to do this pattern for a while. I wanted to make this old pattern with the new fabrics that are available instead of the red and green that was so popular a long time ago.



Here it is. Old is New Again! You have seen little bits of it while I have been working on it. The top is finished and I am happy with the makeover.
When the quilt is finished it will hang in Karen Gray's quilt shop. She sells lots and lots of these bright and cheerful fabrics. She just celebrated her one year anniversary. I went to the celebration and she was having little make it/take it projects that you could pick to do. I chose to do this cute little pincushion.
Easter Blessings to you and your family.

With Passion,
Carrie P.

He Is Risen! Matt. 28:7

45 comments:

  1. Although the old is wonderful the new is spectacular. Terrific makeover. Very cute pincushion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb makeover, Carrie.

    Are you going to hand quilt it or have it machine quilted?

    Happy Easter to you and yours as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie it's wonderful and so FRESH in the new fabrics - I love bright, cheerful fabrics! That pincushion is fantastic, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carrie that color combo is outstanding. i absolutely love it. nice job

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Carrie, you've done a wonderful job making the old new! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! I also have that book, might go back and look at it a little differently now! Amazing.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful love your version of it
    yes sometimes we just need to look in our books and we can find the old patterns that are being repeated!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow Carrie your block is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carrie as usual, another work of art. Happy Easter to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful block!!! And do i see a timble from TJlane?

    Greetings from Debby,
    the Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carrie - I love the block. So bright and happy looking. Happy Easter to you and yours!

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your new rendition is much more lively than the old. I prefer yours! Way to go.

    And that pin cushion dish... very neat. I've never seen that before. I'm sure it's much weightier than most pin cushions these days. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carrie, that is amazing! I can't believe how beautiful it turned out. It'll look wonderful hanging in her shop. That is the cutest little pin cushion doohicky I've ever seen. ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks so fresh and cheery. Love it!
    cheers
    Marina

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your makeover block is fantastic, you did a great job making a old block new again. Love the pincushion, where did you get that sweet dish?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just Love your Block. That is one I have been wanting to do to. Love your colours :-) The Pin cushion is just the icing on the cake
    Cheers
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love how you look at things Carrie. The quilt is beautiful and fun.

    And that pin cushion...THAT I covet.

    Happy Easter to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow great applique poinsettia....
    love your makeover :0)

    I do love the quilted grid around the old block though.....it is classic.

    Happy Easter.....Christ is Risen

    Happy Sewing

    ReplyDelete
  19. Carrie, I just love your work.
    Keep those posts coming.
    Happy Easter..

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ok you are just so talented!!! I love that you come up with such great color schemes! BRAVO!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow Carrie!! Using the modern fabrics the block has become so exciting and vibrant!! You have a wonderful eye for colours!!!
    Have a truly Blessed Easter - He Is Risen Indeed!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Old is New Again is just beautiful Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just gorgeous Carrie, I love how the modern fabric gives it such a fresh look. Happy Easter to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow Carrie I love the updated version!! A whole quilt in these lovely fabric would be wonderful (not saying you have to do it though LOL).

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just love the Old is New Again block! Happy Easter Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Carrie,
    Love the makeover......beautiful change from the red and green. Nice pincushion too.
    Happy Easter to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Love the modern twist you have put on a classical block - very spring like! Your little pin cushion is also super sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Carrie,

    I love your contemporary interpretation of the block! You did a great job picking the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That quilt is really, really pretty and I just love it when new fabrics are chosen to replicate an old quilt. Just absolutley beautiful. You must be pround of it

    ReplyDelete
  30. The block is gorgeous redone, of course it would be right up my alley. Love the pincushion, saw it somewhere else and now I want one, what is the dish?

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow! What a great idea! It turned out beautiful :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow Carrie, it's breathtaking! Absolutely gorgeous. Happy Easter to you too! x

    ReplyDelete
  33. Gorgeous!!! I love the makeover. It is so fresh and beautiful! And it looks like it will fit right in at that new shop. I love your new little pincushion too-- very fun.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Wow, What a transformation from old to new. I loved the old, but then seeing it in the new, well spectacular! I love Applique! I am working on one and getting close to finishing. Come check out my quilts over at www.cmcscrap.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your updated block is wonderful. I am so surprised that the new designer fabrics worked out so well in that block. And I love your pincushion, too.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yes, it is beautiful! Do you do needle turn, starch method? Your work is stunning. I love that pattern in an updated fabric. Yes old is new agin. Will that work for Us? :>) Thank you for sharing. I too will have to check on that book.

    gloria g. Hemingway, SC

    ReplyDelete
  37. I love the way you decided to go from old to new using the same block pattern..Such a different look altogether..Fantastic..Cheers :-)

    ReplyDelete
  38. WOW is all I can say. What a difference the fabric makes. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Carrie, what a gorgeous makeover! I love the you have the ability to "see" a beautiful old pattern in a new light!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I've been meaning to leave you a comment on this post for days Carrie but I've just been on the go....I LOVE what you've done with the old pattern. It just looks so fresh and alive! I love the old applique too, but yours is so pretty! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Love the new interpretation of an old design...

    ReplyDelete
  42. Your contemporary interpretation of the old design is wonderful!!! Your fabric choices work very well!
    I love the pincushion too!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oh my....I just LOVE your "Old is New Again!" Great fabric selections! I appreciate the older quilts, but love the newer versions of them.

    ReplyDelete

So glad you have come by for a visit.