Monday, March 21, 2011

Silk!

Look at this wonderful pile of silk fabrics. The Dragonfly Quilt shop bought this small amount and thought I might like to give it a try in a pattern and maybe teach a class. Well, I can say that this is some fun fabric to work with. I have never worked with silk before but this amazing. It is so soft and the colors are so pretty as you can see. And guess what?! The silk does not unravel as you cut it and work with it.
Remember the sneak peek from my 30 minute post? Here is the finished silk project. The original pattern was for a wall hanging but I decided to make it into a pillow. All the pieces are ironed on using Steam A Seam lite fusible web. The only sewing I did was the embellishment lines in the flowers and leaves. This patten is designed for raw edge applique and those edges are so nice without little pieces of fabric fraying.
The pattern calls for beads to be added to the center of the flowers. It says to sew or glue them on with fabric glue. That is exactly what I did and beads are on there for good.
Here is the original pattern. You can read and see more of the beautiful silks on the Silk To Dye For! blog.
With Passion,
Carrie P.

20 comments:

  1. BEAUTIFUL, Carrie!!! Love the Hyrdangeas. You did a superb job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What gorgeous spring silks, Carrie! I can't wait to see what you do with them. The pillow is just gorgeous - the flowers look so real!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pillow and the silks really look gorgeous in the design.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous and you make it sound so easy Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrie - this is beautiful. Thanks for sharing the information and letting us know how easy it is to work with silks.

    Hugs - Marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Carrie, how beautiful! I've always been afraid to work with silk, thinking it might be too slippery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow is that beautiful, Carrie! I've never worked with silk before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That pillow is adorable! Looks very realistic too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful colors! I saw Dragonfly Quilts at the Lancaster Shop Hop but didn't get a chance to go in their booth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous! Love love it! Hydrangea are one of my favorites, especially that color!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Carrie, the pillow is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! That's a beautiful design. You did a really nice job. And how wonderful that you received those silk samples. It will be interesting to know what you think of working with them, and how they'll be in a project.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful Carrie! The stitching and the beads in the center really set off the Hydrangea's. Thanks for the review on the silk. Question please - Is the Steam a Seam lite a lighter weight than the Steam a Seam II?
    I'm looking for a lighter weight fusible web. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW that silk is beautiful!! I was really shocked to hear it doesn't ravel, I always thought silk would. The pillow is gorgeous and I'm impressed with all those little hydrangia flowers :0)

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a beautiful pillow! The beading and emboidered embellishments really make it special.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful - I've never sewn on silk before but the colors are so beautiful it's very tempting. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, Carrie! The pillow is beautiful. The silk really has a wonderful look to it and the embellishment you did is lovely. That's interesting that the silk didn't unravel at all.

    ReplyDelete

So glad you have come by for a visit.