Monday, September 10, 2012

Garden Update

I thought I would share some photos of the garden. It was a tough summer. At our home we did not get a drop of rain the whole month of July even though we had storms all around us. We did a lot of watering by hand but there is nothing like real rain from God to refresh and restore the plants in a garden.
I had a few Gardenias bloom recently. They smell delightful!
This photo shows all our sweet potatoes in the right hand corners. In the fore ground are some melons and corn. This was a second try at corn which is probably not going to make. Our first crop a raccoon got into it.
These are all the melons and squash. There is cantaloupe, watermelon, spaghetti squash, and pumpkin. The pumpkin are not going to make it this year either. Some critter keeps getting the little pumpkins and now some kind of leave mold is on the leaves. I tried planting butternut squash too but squash borers got to them and they died. We are going to make more beds this winter which will have much better soil for the melons and squash next year. It was a struggle trying to keep these mounds watered. We just didn't have enough time to get them built before it was time to plant.
I have planted cabbage in the front bed. Kale and onions in the second bed. I just pulled up that zucchini plant to the left today. Next bed has some bell peppers and way in back are pinto beans that I am going to let dry on the plant so I will have dried beans for wintertime.
Tomatoes to the left which have done horribly this year. More sweet potatoes, chili peppers and asparagus. In the middle are black beans which I will dry on the plant like the pinto beans. Under that white cloth are carrots which are doing okay.
Here is one of the cantaloupe we got this summer. It was the sweetest melon I ever ate.
From some of the tomatoes, onions, bell peppers, and basil I harvested I decided to make some homemade pizza.
I roasted some garlic that I also grew.

Don't these pizzas look good? They were very, very good!
This is a papaya-dew melon. It was so sweet and juicy too. I will definitely grow these again
 I am still getting a baggy full of green beans every two days.
 Here are some of the tomatoes. I tried to grow some big slicing tomatoes and paste tomatoes but they did not do well at all.
 I leave you with this photo of some blooms from the sweet potatoes vines. I thought we had morning glories growing among the potato vines.
Gardening can be tough be it is good to get out in the garden and work. I really enjoy watching things grow and even better I enjoy the fresh fruits.

With Passion,
Carrie P.






22 comments:

  1. Such a productive garden - how lovely to eat your own produce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you've done wonderfully with your garden this summer, Carrie! Next summer will be even better! Your pizzas look SO good! Did you make the crust, too?
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Talk about a green thumb! You have the kind of garden I dream about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh Carrie...my mouth is watering for that pizza! Fabulous!
    A papaya dew melon? How cool is that! Would love to taste that too!
    An amazing garden girlfriend. You grow the coolest stuff! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful and fruitful garden... hooray for you; it all looks wonderful (and delicious)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those sweet potato flowers are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a small kitchen garden, and was so pleased to get 42 quarts of tomatoes from six plants. I also had success with yellow and spagetti squash. I put a 2-3 inch piece of pvc pipe where the stem comes out of the ground when the seedling comes up and it prevents the squash borer from killing the plant, the pvc pipe is easy to cut and reusable from year to year and no pesticides. We really love eating the fresh produce.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My, that garden looks like a lot of work but I suspect it is worth it!

    We call cantaloupe rock melon, and bell peppers capsicum. Your pizzas do look delicious -- I love pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your garden looks AMAZING....this is such a yummy post! That pizza looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mother Nature has been a wicked woman this year. Your bounty is beautiful and the pizza looks delicious. Surprisingly, after a slow start, my tomatoes have done very well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice garden. is garlic hard to grow? Our garden was HUGE and we got very little out of it. the critters had a field day. LITERALLY! raccoons got all the corn, moles were eating the potatoes and beets and the tomatoes got blight. we even were asking OTHERS for zuchinni! (we usually give it away on doorsteps at night and run LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  12. pizza looks yummy what time is dinner?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This year really was a challenge in the garden. Even my sister's garden suffered & she has an ideal situation in so many ways. Blight got her tomatos. Hopefully the fall garden will clear the emotional gardening palate. It fascinates me that altho july was so dry, the melons are sweet!
    Thanks for sharing @ your garden... Take care. B

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ok, now I'm hungry. Your photos are great and I love seeing all that you have grown this year. I didn't think to take pix of our garden this year. I like to put the pix in the boys scrapbook...there's always next year.

    Thanks for sharing your lovely garden.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a nice garden and lots of yummies!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! I am impressed! That turned out great! My dog keeps eating my tomatoes off the plant ...she loves them! Dog chewed tomatoes are the only veggie I have to show! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. love seeing your garden and the beautiful produce you have collected!
    sounds like some of the little critters are enjoying the harvest too?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is so incredible, to harvest such lovely fruits and vegetables from your garden! The very best!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved the tour of your garden! You have a wonderful space to grow! Gardening can be so exciting, and so frustrating at the same time! The melons look delicious!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you have come by for a visit.