Wednesday, October 24, 2012

October Free Motion Quilting Challenge

Time to do the free motion challenge for this month. This one was really fun. This challenge was presented by Terri Lucas. Her quilting is amazing. 
 First I had to draw a six inch square, write my name, and then fill in with different designs. I was supposed to use silk for the top layer but I didn't have any. I would like to try quilting on it sometime though. I was also supposed to use wool or bamboo batting. I did have some of that.
 Next I was also supposed to use some different thread. I don't have a whole lot of choices but I did use rayon, cotton, and polyester.
 So after I quilted my name in the middle of the square then I filled in the square using the different threads. One of the things I learned was to use edge of the foot as a gauge when doing cross hatching on a piece.

 My final piece is a little different from my drawing. Look at the nautilus shell I did. Pretty cool. It was one of Teri's designs.
With Passion,
Carrie P.

26 comments:

  1. You are turning pro Carrie! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your FMQ! I thought it was fun. My designs came out differently than my paper one also. I wish I had changed threads. I sort of forgot about that!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful stitches! How I would love to be able to do that. I'm not sure I have enough patience. I admire you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Love the nautilus. I'll be out of a job soon;) Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice!! Love your conch shell - I'm doing my piece at the moment (just taking a break between fillers) and you've inspired me to try the shell!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're getting really good, Carrie! Soon you'll be doing whole quilts!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your quilting is looking great. Love the thread colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's cool! Very impressive (and inspirational!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing! I am still practicing on paper. Hope to go on fabric on day. Judith, Texas

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're making little works of art. I admire your dedication to learning to machine quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous.FMQ is in my to do list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. absolutely wonderful. I want to learn that!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Carrie! You are a natural!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Carrie, I thought I would stop by and see what you've been sewing. This looks like an excellent challenge and you are doing a fantastic job! I like to see quilting with fm words all around too. I may have to go over and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks like a great exercise to beef up your skills. It looks beautiful in all that fun thread!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice! Still at the drawing stage, but hopefully it'll be stitched by the end of the month. Fun challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That looks like a fun project! I love the different threads-- and your freemotion work is looking so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how you placed your thread colors

    ReplyDelete
  19. Carrie, your getting so good at this! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you have come by for a visit.