Thursday, August 14, 2014

Vacation Handwork

While on vacation I was prepared to do some handwork in  the evenings. One day it got up in the 90's so I stayed in the condo and work on some projects.  In the evenings I would sit on the baloney watching all the activity on the beach and listening to the waves crashing on shore. While sitting there I worked on my Bertie's Year BOM. I embroidered all the green. Sunday after I got settled back home I work on sewing the half square triangle borders on the appliqued pieces. I still have more hand stitching to do.
Yesterday I spent some time machine appliqueing all the brown and gray parts of the tops. Others I am going to do on my machine. I have a pretty neat feature on my new machine which allows the pressure foot to rise up when I am ready to pivot the piece. So convenient.
 I got the cornucopia embroidered on this BOM.
 I crocheted three more granny square blocks.
 The September BOM arrived in the mail the other day so I decided to get the pieces ironed on. I machine appliqued the bird, acorn tops, and the squirrel tail. Last night I hand stitched the leaves.
 I went out to the garden when I arrived home. I found these two pumpkins which I had hoped would be bigger. I planted cooking pumpkins which are smaller than some varieties. These two will make nice fall decorations. I have a few bigger pumpkins still on the vine.
The yellow thing is my one and only spaghetti squash. While on vacation the squash bugs destroyed the vine so that is all for this year. I had been growing pinto and black beans to dry and have for winter. All the rain we had caused some of the seeds to sprout right in the pod. I am trying to salvage what I can. I am going to be cleaning up the garden this weekend and start planting for the fall garden soon.

With Passion,
Carrie P.

24 comments:

  1. Carrie, that BOM is gorgeous, it's good to hear you had some relaxing time while on vacation and got some stitching done. Great you've been able to continue the momentum back home! A shame about those squash bugs while you were gone, but I'm sure you would have much rather been on holdiday than home chasing bugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to have something to work on by hand when the mood strikes or the weather doesn't cooperate. Your garden bounty is beautiful. What do you plant in the Fall?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the patterns you've chosen to quilt. Are the shapes made from felt?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had lousy lighting on vacation. I gave up on needleturn applique and switched to a couple wool on cotton projects where the stitching did not have to be hidden. Still hard to see on that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your description of sitting on the balcony in the evenings of your vacation sounded so lovely and peaceful. It looks like you got lots done too. So sorry to hear about the bugs getting your squash. What do you plant for a fall garden?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your Bertie's Year project!
    Your embroidery block and granny squares look fabulous too!

    Sorry to hear about those pesky squash bugs, they are a big problem here too! But your spaghetti squash looks delicious and so do your darling little pie pumpkins.

    Great success to you on your fall garden!

    ReplyDelete
  7. your holiday snaps are lovely, looks like a lovely beach.
    lot's of work on your wool applique too. Your Bertie quilt is going to be so amazing.
    enjoy your work in the garden

    ReplyDelete
  8. i really want to learn to do applique

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really accomplished a lot of handwork on vacation. I love the way you combine both machine and hand stitching on the same appliquéd block.

    Spaghetti squash is one of my favorites. Sorry you didn't get more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do believe you had the most wonderful vacation ever! I could just imagine you sitting there stitching and listening to the waves. How peaceful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never heard of a spaghetti squash before? Looks like a yellow watermelon. Is it a vegetable or fruit?
    Love the BOM. I would like to learn how to crochet.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You got a lot done and they are all beautiful pieces. We had pumpkins once, they grew from old ones we had thrown into the back of the garden, lol.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  13. your pumpkins are so cute! Sorry to hear about your squash vine. sounds like you have an amazing gardens - photos please!
    I too have a auto presser foot and I LOVE IT!
    Your blocks look beautiful and your granny squares are really fun

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your Bertie blocks. I have a few of the patterns but haven't started. The pumpkin and squash look delish. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your Bertie's Year blocks, they are so lovely......
    Have a nice weekend dear Carrie
    Hugs
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wool applique is popping up again....at least it is for me...yours is beautiful!
    Smiles,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh girl! I am SO jealous!!! All your Berties are beautiful!!! I'm woefully behind on mine... July and August are simply fused down, no stitching yet, and September is still in the bag! Having a 16-year-old here for 2 months really put a hiccup in my schedule, but I'm hoping to catch up soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like you had a lovely vacation, Carrie! Sitting and stiching with the ocean and beach activities is a wonderful way to relax! Love your harvest - that's three more than we have, but then we didn't plant squash or pumpkins this year ;>)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Holy cow, Carrie, that BOM is absolutely gorgeous!! You've been a busy lady!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those Bertie blocks are so fun! And the cornucopia stitchery looks awesome. I'm starting to feel ready for fall! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. You've been busy! Love the wool appliqué! My BFF is doing that, too. Have you seen the new one coming out by the same designer? I signed up for it at my LQS. My machine has that pivot feature, too. I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a relaxing vacation! It sounds lovely :-) Your pictures were amazing too. Your handwork is just lovely. The pumpkins are so cute! A cucumber moth got to our cucumbers before we got many of them this year, so I know your garden woes! It's fun to have a garden though.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Berties are turning out lovely. You are getting a lot of rain, we are getting lots of dry weather. My squash are not doing spectacular either.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those Bertie blocks are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you have come by for a visit.