Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Busy Quilting


I have been busy working on some different projects this week.This first picture is a UFO that I started around 2002. This is not one on my UFO list. I had it machine quilted 2 summers ago and just got the binding and sleeve on.


Here is a sneak peek of the border for my patriotic quilt. Notice the red fabric I picked out for the backing. I decided it might look better with just a narrow red border.


I just thought I would show you this applique that I am working on. This is a technique I like to use for narrow stems. It is called "cut away." As you can see I traced the pattern on with a chalk pencil and then I cut just a little of the fabric away as I applique.



Here is my Red Delicious mystery BOM. You might notice that one bird does not have legs. His legs will be stitched on a piece of fabric that will be sewn where the scallop outline ends. Aren't they cute birds?

Check out this site for some little applique bug bags.

With Passion, Carrie P.

12 comments:

  1. I love those wool ornaments, I am going to order that book today, so I can get started for next year! Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have been busy quilting! The Red Delicious Mystery block looks great...and I always love your applique' tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh-h-h! So That's how you do little stems and bird legs and skinny things. What a great tip! Thank you Carrie! I loved being able to click you photo and see it close-up.. but oh my goodness.. your stitching is invisible. I am in total awe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your little birds. I do really like the skinny border for your patriotic quilt and love how you've positioned your stars. For those who applique you have great helpful hints.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who knew about that applique tip - great idea and one I'm tucking away for future use - but will I remember it, LOL. Love your redwork stitchery - never heard of that Mystery Block. Great choice of the border fabric.

    Hugs - Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrie, I have a couple of questions: Where did you get the note card-the one you sent to Stephanie? so so cute! And, I wanted to view the red delicious thing, but wasn't able to, is there a way to see what it is?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear! I was going to applique my Red Delicious, but look how wonderful it looks in Redwork. Maybe, I should make one of each! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your stems are incredible! How skinny is that? They are beautiful - great job.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've got a lot of great projects going on. I, too, love cut away applique. I first taught myself that technique in 1989 when I bought Elly's book "Baltimore Beauties and Beyond". Then I was lucky enough to take a few classes from her, and she used this technique whenever she could. It's a great way to get accurate placement of a bunch of stems.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the quilt and your birds are just so cute, I must start mine...

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have been hard at work! Beautiful applique pieces. Merry Christmas to you and your family!
    ~Kelli

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your Redwowrk Red Delicious block. I have just started the first block, but am appliqueing it. Can't wait to see your next completed block!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you have come by for a visit.