Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A First

My daughter who is a senior in college this year is taking a craft class this semester and she had to do an applique project the first week she was in school. This is her first and probably her last. She is not real thrilled to do applique but I think she did a great job for her first try at it. Her professor required her to do a running stitch on top of the pieces instead of the invisible stitch. She also did this in needle turn. She is now working on a small quilt that she has to make all by hand too.
I am sure a lot of you have read about Dorothy Baker's new embroidery BOM of the month. If you haven't, go over to her blog and check out her giveaway. She will be revealing the block soon so be on the lookout. I have a button on my sidebar that gives an indication what a block will be like. Cute!
You probably noticed another button on my sidebar. I have joined Jane's swap. Jane had a poll on her blog and I voted. She is swapping red and aqua disappearing nine patch blocks. I love the color combination so I signed up. She is still taking sign-ups.

With Passion,
Carrie P.

The grand essentials for happiness are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for. Chalmers

21 comments:

  1. yayy for your daughter! and jane's swap will be fun...☺...going to get my reds and aquas today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gosh your daughter's project is darling! Good for her!
    I'm going to do that BOM too - can't wait to see it. Have fun with the swap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your DD fish is awesome! She has a good sense of color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your daughter's first attempt at applique turned out pretty darn good!
    Wish I had time to join in on Jane's swap! Sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute fish! It's interesting how they offer a class at a college level learning to do the things our mothers, grandmothers taught us. Does she enjoy the quilt making more than the applique? Is she in college here in NC?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did your daughter design her applique quilt herself, Carrie? All I can say is WOW! SHe must have had a great teacher. (wink)

    I joined Jane's swap last week and bought my fabrics when we went to Vermont. Maybe I'll get a start on them this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems to me Carrie, that you ought to be darned proud to have a daughter follow in your footsteps....well, even if only this project...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carrie it's in your daughters DNA. She can't deny her talent. It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your daughter did extremely well for the applique. She may not be fussed now but you've sown a seed so who knows what she'll do when she gets older.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wasn't real crazy about applique the first time I did it either but after a while...... She may come to love it someday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your daughter did a terrific job...maybe someday she'll be a quilter too...you never know...I never thought I'd quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't is great to have your daughter share your interests! She has your talents!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Her professor is right to push them to experience all they can while in this class. Much to learn and from the looks of it she is learning her lessons well. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the little fishy! Your daughter's running stitches look really lovely too. I wish I had gotten to take such a class in school!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Love your daughter's Fish.. She should be very proud of her work.. Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  16. The applique looks great...I'll bet she wished you were there at every stitch!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think your DD did a wonderful job on her project and it makes my hand piecing heart happy that she is making a quilt project all by hand :0) She may not like it now, but I wouldn't be surprised if she turns to quilting some day :0)

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  18. For a first applique - I'd give your daughter an A+ - after all, she had a fantastic role model in mom!! I had not read about Dorothy Baker's BOM - thanks, Carrie!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your daughter did a beautiful job. It is a little bit of work to do applique, but she shouldn't get to discouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an awesome job your daughter did - that needle turn can be a test in patience, lol. You never know she might come back to it again.

    Hugs - Karen

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks like she did a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you have come by for a visit.