Saturday, November 13, 2010

Embroidery Tutorial

This is a very simple way to get a variegated look on an embroidery project without using variegated thread. To begin, pick out your favorite color. Look through your stash of thread and pick out as many as you want in a similar color. Look for threads that range from dark, medium, and light. In this project I chose 5 shades of the teal. In the gray pillow I only used 4 shades.
The next step is to decide what length you will cut the threads. For this teal project I cut threads 6 inches. For the gray pillow I cut them 12" in length. Depending on how big the project will determine how long to cut the threads. This project was small so I cut them 6 inches. You can determine this yourself.

Now begin with the darkest thread and embroider until it runs out.
Now use the next shade of thread...
then the next...
and the next.
Now the secret to the look is to continue using the threads in the order that you have (dark to light) and cut them the same length each time.
And here is the finished project. This design is on a feedsack dishtowel that is why the stitches look loose in some places. I really like how the shells look using this technique.
You can get this free pattern from Bird Brain Designs.

With Passion,
Carrie P.

One cannot collect all the beautiful shells on the beach. One can collect only a few, and they are more beautiful if they are few. Anne Morrow Lindbergh

13 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie, you are just too clever for words. And, I am delighted with this pattern!! You know how much I adore anything having to do with the ocean. Thanks! ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah!!! That is such a super idea! Thank you Carrie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant idea!! Thank you for that :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting post - thank you. I would never have thought of doing that. blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is amazing, Carrie, thank you so much - I have few shades of variegated but lots of plain ones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. NEVER thought of that! Thank you for sharing that incredible tip!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a clever process! I will sure keep this in mind the next time I need a variegated thread in just the right colors. It might be fun to do a series of different colors too. Thanks for the great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the clever tip! I will be using this idea for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful clever idea Carrie, Bravo!!

    Crispy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carrie - I love this tutorial!
    I enjoy working with varigated threads but it's difficult at times to find the right color-match for a project. (some threads are too light or dyed too dark)
    Your method is AWESOME - for creating the perfect variations.

    THANKS FOR SHARING!

    Doreen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you are having fun with this project ... love what you are doing and you gave great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The shells look beautiful with this technique (and those fabulous teals). Thanks so much for sharing how you achieved it!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you have come by for a visit.