Thursday, August 29, 2013

Do the Hustle!

Did you ever dance the Hustle when it came out in the mid 70's? Maybe you weren't even born then. The song came out in 1975 the same year I graduated high school. Whoa! that is a long time ago. You can hear this song from the disco craze here. But be warned if you listen to it the song will be stuck in your head all day long. OOOO! do the hustle.


Let's get to the real reason I titled this post "Do the Hustle." The title should really be do the Holiday Hustle. Sew Lux Fabric  had a quilt along. The quilt was made with charm squares. I had some so I decided to join in. This quilt is going to be a Christmas gift. The quilt measures 53" x 60", a very nice lap quilt. Sew Lux Fabrics just made up some really cute kits using this pattern which are now on sale. Plus they are having an end of summer sale. No, they did not pay me to say that. Just wanted to share in case you want to make a quilt like this for a gift or just need some other fabrics.
I decided to quilt this one myself since it wasn't too big. Some of the fabric squares have holly leaves on them. So I thought I would make a pattern to carry on the theme.I traced it on the red border to make a continuous quilting design.
 I quilted most of the quilt in a very dark brown thread.
 Stippling on the squares and straight lines a quarter inch from the edge on the off white fabric. Not too bad for not having done any free motion quilting in a while.
I am linking up my finished quilt to Sew Lux Fabric and Such a Sew and Sew August finish. Don't forget to link up your finished UFOs on the previous post. You still have four days.

                

With Passion,
Carrie P.

21 comments:

  1. Yes! I did hustle back then and even though I didn't click the link, I have that song playing in my mind. But that's ok...

    Love your quilt and thanks for the tip that the kit is on sale. My poor husband is the only one in the family that I haven't gifted a quilt to. This would be a nice one for his recliner at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful quilting! Way to go for another finish! Yea! better hustle with mine...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the quilt! Even the Hustle was too hard for me -- two left feet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm older than you and I remember the song but not the dance. You will have to do a video to show us Carrie! Love the quilt and your quilting is great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! You started a worm in my brain for sure, Carrie! Cute idea for charm squares and you have a holiday present already done! Fantastic!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Holiday Hustle quilt looks great - and the quilting is cool - a clever touch with the continuous holly leaves in the border.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely quilt and yep, I remember the Hustle -lol-
    Have a great day.
    Always, Queenie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, no, I have the song rattling around in my head over and over ;-) Nice quilt finish and I like the quilting that you did!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Quilt! Do do do d-do do do do...do the hustle! Oh no! It's in my head! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yea I remember "Do the Hustle." I used to love going to the discos and dancing the evening away!! Quilt pattern looks like a fun and quick quilt. I will have to remember it. Good job on the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your quilt looks so great! I love the holly motif in the border. :-)
    Thanks so much for quilting along with me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great quilt and I like how you tell us how you quilted it. Would love to see it at Hexie Friday, Carrie or Finish it Friday. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great quilt! Your quilting suits it perfectly. Hmmm... I do have a couple of charm packs laying about. This looks like it could be fun to make and fast (I could definitely use more fast in my quilty life!). :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. And I am now listening to that song. You weren't kidding! Catchy for sure! :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was married with babies by then so the only hustle I did was from one diaper change to the other. :) Love the quilt though! blessings, marlene

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! It is beautiful! I love the holy leaves that you did in the border!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the Christmas quilt , great idea for a charm pack .

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your quilting just keeps getting better! Good for you to keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice finish, Carrie! And now I have The Hustle stuck in my brain even though I did not pull the song up. ;D Remember the hours we spent doing that during PE class 6th-8th, along with roller skating to the BeeGees and Sean Cassidy. . . (coach let us girls do whatever we wanted as long as we were moving significantly - one whole blacktop was dedicated to girls and music play time)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that quilt design! What a great way to use charms and the size really is just right. Your colors are so pretty and your quilting is lovely! Congrats on a great finish and thank you for linking up!

    xo -E

    ReplyDelete

So glad you have come by for a visit.