The month of March has flown by for me. I have not been on the computer much so I am way behind on reading all your blogs which I miss. Because I am watching my grandson five days a week again I don't much time for my hobbies. Despite not having much free time I have managed to get some projects made.
First off--I finished this quilt just in time for my daughter's birthday.This was the free BOM by Jacquelynne Steves. She will be starting another BOM soon. I won't be doing it though but you might like to do it.I made this months block for my local quilt shop BOM. Only one more to go.
At Modern Quilt therapy group we were given three more blocks for the quilt.
I am way behind on this sew-along by Jeni from the Willow but I did get one more block appliqued.
I made the second block of the BOM from Buttermilk Basin. The next block is a bee hive which I need to make before next months block is released.My applique bee is working on blocks for a raffle quilt for when our guild hosts symposium. All the blocks are orchids. These are the two I made. The plan is to add some embroidery or use paint sticks to add more details to the orchids. All the blocks are being done in batiks.
I went to applique bee and saw some of the other blocks which aren't quite finished yet. It is going to be a fabulous quilt when it is done. I thought I would share some of the blocks that Patti is working on.
I am still working on this afghan from LookatwhatImade.net. I am three weeks behind but I am not worried about. I am enjoying crocheting every row I add to this afghan. There is a facebook group and every one of the afghans are gorgeous. There are new people joining every day so don't be afraid to join in too.
Way back at Christmas time when we went to the mountains to get our Christmas tree we stopped at an antique store. I found this sewing box. All the spool holders on the side were full of old thread. Some were wooden spools which I kept. Inside the drawers were more spools and few other sewing notions. (This is the before photo.)
Mr. P. sanded some of the bad places down and added a few coats of Tung oil to the wood to spruce it up again. Now it sits near my sewing machine where I can get to some of my threads and favorite tools I use while sewing. (After photo)
With springtime here I have been spending my weekends in the garden planting some cool weather veggies or working out in the yard. Check out the garden shoes my daughter got me for my birthday.
My grandson has started coming outside with me now that some days are warmer. He loves playing in the dirt.
He has been walking for the last month. He will be one year old on Friday. I can't believe how his first year has flown. Every day he does something new.
Buttermilk Basin was having a blog hop which included different designers. They each shared some really sweet projects. This little needlebook was shared by Crabapple Hill. . I just had to make several of these needle books because they were so cute. Two I have given away.
To be entered in the giveaway just tell me if you like to play in the dirt too. (gardening,planting flowers, container gardens, etc.)
I will announce the winner after Easter sometime. I will not give a certain date because I just don't know when I can get back on the computer again.
I wish you all a Blessed Easter.
With Passion,
Carrie P.





I love 'playing' in the dirt too. I tried to explain to our little neighbor boy that this was my 'adult' sandbox - just like he enjoys his sandbox. He seemed a bit skeptical :)! Love your new garden shoes and the beautiful sewing box. Your grandson is a sweetheart!
ReplyDeleteThis month did go by quick but it looks like you got a lot done, so many beautiful pieces and quilts in progress. Love your spool box, that is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteDebbie
I love playing in th dirt as well. In fact, today I was outside cleaning up after winter's mess.
ReplyDeleteYour garden shoes are fabulous!a
You do so much of sewing even after looking your grandson and I suppose there might not be alternatives to do away with daily chores too. Where do you get that much energy from?:)
ReplyDeleteAll your blocks are lovely, the 3rd and 5th ones look interesting....may be they are a bit small and I feel I can try those, others are way complicated for me.
Your crochet is coming along beautifully :)
About playing in dirt, I do some container gardening, this year wasn't so nice but still I managed to get spinach, mint and tomatoes apart from few flowering plants . I like gardening but there are limitations to container gardening especially when it gets infected, it's too difficult to manage.
I bet your daughter loved her quilt. It's hard to believe he is a year old already! I enjoyed catching up this am, like you I haven't been reading blogs much lately but I've been busy quilting and yards. We had 5 yds of mulch and expecting pine straw delivery this weekend. There is always something..never bored.
ReplyDeleteLove this time of year! I play in the dirt all Spring! Beautiful time of the year. So full of promise.....
ReplyDeleteI am amazed at all you accomplish while taking care of your adorable grandson ~ wow! Love your new garden shoes.
ReplyDeleteThe orchid quilt will be, I am sure, a beautiful quilt. Love your applique blocks and that thread case is gorgeous! As for the garden, I enjoy doing a little digging but honestly prefer to sew while others do the gardening! Thanks for the link to the pansy needle book pattern - it is adorable!
ReplyDeleteYour shoes are lovely, I would love to have a pair for working in my gardens. Would your daughter share where she got them do you think?
ReplyDeleteI love all the pieces you are working on and I am always inspired by your blog
Oh Carrie...so much wonderful eye candy. I love your Jeni block. Your grandson is getting big. So inspired to get some sewing done today. Hugs
ReplyDeleteYour sweet little grandson may be keeping you busy, but you've certainly managed to accomplish quite a lot! Your creative energies are obviously very organized and focused to be able to keep up with so much. There's only so much time for handwork! Yet you've managed to fit it all in some how. I don't play in the dirt nearly as much as I used to, largely because I now live in such a harsh environment, very little survives. I treat my 'native' plants well, though, and encourage their growth. Please don't include me in the give away this time, as much as I appreciate the opportunity. I'm getting ready to migrate and shipping to Canada is just way too much! Have a wonderful Easter weekend!
ReplyDeleteYou have got so much accomplished even with the little one around. I would love to play in dirt but we have mud still. Can't wait for warmer days, and green grass.
ReplyDeleteThank you SO very much for the information about your quilter, Laura, as well as the pictures of her quilting! I've just received a quilt top back from my quilter that just about brings tears to my eyes - WHAT was she thinking??? I'm trying to decide if I want to remove her quilting and get it redone, but I didn't have a clue as to who to try…
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, I love to garden too! P.S. Love your shoes!!!
Playing in the dirt is my favorite thing to do Last week we had beautiful weather so we did a lot of clean up. My spring bulbs are popping up and some tulips are open. Love to quilt also so it is sometimes a challenge to pick one. Hope your day is awesome.
ReplyDeleteNew to your blog but am enjoying seeing your work. I am new to SoCal and am learning to play in my very dry, hard soil. Quite a change from the NW but I am learning. thanks for the give away.
ReplyDeleteJaent
Oh, Carrie, you do make me laugh. Your month of 'not getting much time to craft' is still more productive than 6 months at my house!!!
ReplyDeleteThe fabrics you're using in the LQS BOM are soooo sweet. This month's block would be amazing in one whole quilt (okay, amazing if someone ELSE were to make it, but you know). And your daughter's quilt is just lovely - I really like the colour combo you (she?) chose.
Don't enter me into your drawing, I'm trying to have a big old clean-out between deadlines here at Casa del Babble. Today I don't need more fabric. I can't guarantee that I'll be so strong tomorrow, but today I'm holding firm. ;-)
My goodness, it seems you got a lot done in March, Carrie! I just love the antique thread box - what a great find! Damien is walking so well - his legs look great! What a sweet giveaway - you know I like to dig in the dirt, but please do leave me out of the giveaway! Happy Easter!
ReplyDeleteCheers!
Love your sewing box, what a little winner! Carrie, the March Buttermilk Bssin block was released on the 17th, the April one comes on the 15th of this month. Love your flower block for February.
ReplyDeleteYour WIP's are fabulous!! And the quilt for your daughter is gorgeous! Your grandson is adorable - such a fun age!!
ReplyDeleteBlessings and hugs!
P.S. That sewing box is superb!! What a great find for your sewing room!!!!
ReplyDeleteI like playing in the dirt but I LOVE playing in my sewing room so much more!
ReplyDeleteHello Carrie, thanks for the lovely comment you left over on my blog. Gosh you have achieved so much in this post - your blog is a wonderful & inspirational place to visit - thank you :-) That little sewing box of yours took my breath away. Yes I love to play in the dirt very much indeed :-) Julie x0x
ReplyDeleteI play in the dirt on a small scale! I have a small flower garden next to my patio and a few containers on the patio. I love all your pictures. Hugs,
ReplyDeleteYou may not have as much play time now that you are babysitting but what you do have you have been very successful and have some beautiful projects . Yes I love to play in the diet but it will be a long time before any dirt is exposed in these parts lol . Happy Easter to you and your family .
ReplyDeleteI think you got a lot done for having a little boy to take care of. The Jacquelyn Steves quilt turned out really nice. I saved the directions but have no idea if or when I will make it. I just don't do a lot of piecing any more. Mostly applique.
ReplyDeleteNo, I do not like playing in the dirt. I don't like getting my hands dirty. And nowadays, the dirt would have to be brought to me as I have too many back problems to be bending over and knee replacements and they do not recommend being down on them.
I've always likes yard work of all kinds, but since moving into my motorhome I've confined my dirt work to my cactus garden which lives on my dash. I chose cacti because I don't have to worry about my cat eating them and being poisoned! I baby them along and watch them grow and bloom!
ReplyDeleteYou have been busy! The finished seashell quilt turned out so beautifully! March somehow got away from me too. This month my youngest is turning 5!!! Yikes!
ReplyDelete"Love" is a strong word for my relationship with dirt. But-- I am trying to do more outside. My boys love it and I definitely want to encourage them in that. So I am trying to embrace it. :P
Carrie your daughter is going to love her new quilt. Your box is a real treasure - perfect for the sewing room! And what adorable pictures of your grandson...blessings, marlene
ReplyDeletegreat finishing your daughters quilt in time.
ReplyDeleteLove your bom block.
so many other lovely projects on the go too. Amazing applique blocks by Patti.
gorgeous sewing box, I wouldn't have been able to leave that behind either. Great you have company in the garden, what a big boy!
Not a great gardener myself but hub likes to garden a little, so I will leave it to him.
So many wonderful projects. Love your new sewing box too. I can't believe your little grandson is almost one! He has gotten so big and walking too. Pretty soon he will be talking your ear off!
ReplyDeleteI love "playing" in the dirt when it has rained, I come for Ireland and I live in Australia and we are in the middle of a drought where I live so I don't have much of a garden at the moment. Winter will be here soon so hopefully we will get some rain. I love your garden shoes and I am amazed how much sewing work you achieve even though you are so busy with other areas of your life. You are amazing :)
ReplyDeleteWarm wishes Lizzi xo
I love to do my gardening in flip flops so I can get the dirt between my toes.
ReplyDeleteAll your projects are looking great.
Thank you for the giveaway.
I don't know how you find the time to do all you do - taking care of a little one is enough of a job, lol, I guess sewing must be a re-charger for you, because all your projects are fabulous!! Just keep checking in on your blog when you can, and don't worry about getting around to other blogs. We all have busy seasons. LOVE your new garden shoes, and your new sewing box, but especially the darling pics of your sweet little grandson!
ReplyDeleteSo many lovely things to see all in one post, Carrie! I love your sage blossom block, fantastic color choices, and the antique sewing chest is a fantastic treasure find!
ReplyDeleteI do not like to play in the dirt... I like to give gardening orders to my husband and have HIM do the digging and the planting. But this is probably partly because we have this awful, hard-as-rock, shovel-bending orange clay instead of soil here in North Carolina and it requires a great deal of muscle just to mix in enough good dirt and soil amendments that you can plant anything.
Carrie you are amazing! With watching your little fella and making all those quilts, blocks of the month, free sew alongs !! WOW - no wonder you don't get on the computer. As always your work is just beautiful. I'm loving the applique all the way around, wool and cotton. So pretty. I know the giveaway has ended - I just wanted to tell you WOW - you're always inspirational Thank you - and thanks for stopping by my blog last week too. Take good care, Karen
ReplyDelete