Today a new sun rises for me; everything lives, everything is animated, everything seems to speak to me of my passion, everything invites me to cherish it. Anne de Lenclos
ps SueQuilts asked if there was a pattern for the raffle quilt. There is not a pattern at this time but if one ever comes available I will be sure to have a post about it. You had "no reply" on your comment so I could not respond personally.
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Another Passion
Mr. Bluebird has found himself a wife and there are 4 beautiful blue eggs in their perfect little nest in the bluebird house. I am member of the Bluebird Society. I only have one house in our yard because that is all that will fit. I know that sounds funny but they are territorial birds. We live on six acres but we are surrounded by woods so there is not room for any more houses. The houses need to be at least 100 yards from each other so that is why we only have one house. They prefer two acres for their territory but where their house is located is much smaller but because we don't have anymore houses up it works for them. The Bluebirds like open fields so the house that they lay their eggs in is right near the edge the woods facing the grassy area. Last year we had four groups of babies. There were a few that did not survive. I keep count of how many eggs and how many fledged and send the information to the society. Bluebirds were on the endangered list at one time but have really made a comeback. I really enjoy watching them. I have wondered if the couple I have out there now is some of the babies from last year. Mr. Bluebird like to sit up here and look for bugs in the grass.
I just have two more quilts from the quilt show for you to see. Hope you don't mind. They are just too great not to show you. I have longed to make a cathedral window quilt. This one is just fantastic.
Here is one that I thought was very cute. It is all machine appliqued which is done beautifully. I think that is what one of the ribbons is for. Best machine applique.
With Passion, Carrie P.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
20 comments:
I didn't know about bluebirds being endangered or that they were territorial. We have dove, robins, and cardinals that nest very close to the house. Right now we have a nest built in the climbing hydrangea right by the garage door. Mrs. Cardinal does not like to be disturbed!
I've got a bluebird too...they've found the box I put out for them 6 months ago! Are you going to make a cathedral window? I'd love to finish the one my mother was working on...it's so special to me.
it is so fascinating to watch the birds...we have a momma robin's nest right outside our patio door...we did last year, too...love the cathedral windows quilt!...i started one, but it's slow going! ☺
What a gorgeous bluebird...he is so majestic!
How nice to be able to watch the little bluebird families grow!
Very lovely cathedral windows quilt. Lots of hand work in that. I used Christmas fabric for the centers and made 2 blocks. Put them together and stuffed the middle and attached a ribbon at one corner to make a Christmas ornament. I knew I wouldn't ever finish anything larger than that!
Both quilts are stunning. I have made a cathedral windows one but not in white. That will be my future one.
I've always loved Blue Birds (maybe because I was one when I was a little girl). I finally saw my first one in Michigan about two years ago....I was soooo excited!!
Cripy
I knew nothing about blue birds. Certainly not that they are so territorial. Guess you are lucky to have enough land to have at least one set of blue birds.
I met a lady a long time ago who had made several cathedral window quilts. They weigh a ton!
I never mind looking at quilts. I am a bird watcher. We have planted an environment friendly for them and all the other animals too. Not only do I feed the birds but the ducks, squirrels and chipmunks come too. This year we have had more yellow finches than ever. They are impatient waiting for their turn at the thistle. I love all this great info, thanks.
I so wish we had bluebirds in our area, Carrie! It's wonderful that you take such care with them - I'm sure they very much appreciate it!
Thanks for the peek at two more fantastic quilts - I love little miss sunflowers outfit!
Cheers!
Mr Bluebird is beautiful...gosh I wish we had some here.
The Bluebirds are very pretty. I had a few stop by this winter. But I didn't have very much for them to eat, just some suet pellets with dried bugs in them. the quilts were fun to see, thanks for showing them.
We had bluebirds nest in one of our houses last year. They have to be my favorite birds, probably because of their coloring.
More gorgeous quilts, Carrie. Thanks for showing them to us.
Carrie, thanks for answering my pattern question. Sorry I didn't have reply set.
There are no bluebirds in this part of the world, interesting info on them, We have a box we built for a possum, not as pretty as having a bluebird!
I tried having a go at cathedral window and hated it but admire anyone who can do it.
I never knew that bluebirds were on the endangered list at one point. How wonderful that you've been able to provide a little refuge for some each year. When we lived in Texas, we had a bird feeder and it was so much fun to watch who would come by for a snack.
I really think I want to frame your quote today.
Carrie, I don't think I've ever seen a bluebird, I guess they don't come this far north. It's a lovely bird. We've had a robin's nest the past 2 years and I'm hoping they'll come back again this year. It's fascinating to watch.
I've never seen a real bluebird...how beautiful. Thank you for sharing him, Carrie!
Hi! Popped over from Dorothy's blog!
I've never see a blue bird up where we live... very cute... I hope their numbers keep growing. 8-)
You have some absolutely lovely quilt-works on your blog! Very, very nice! 8-)
That raffle quilt is gorgeous! 8-)
Happy stitchings!
Ciao. E' bellissimo questo pannello!!
Post a Comment