Do you all ever get frustrated with a project you are working on? Well, I am very frustrated. I am not frustrated with this. A finished Verandah View block.

Or this. This is a new block I have started for Aunt Millie's Garden.

I am frustrated with this. I had this vision in my mind but this is just not working for me. I think it is the background fabric that is bothering me so much. I am not please with the yellow roses either. You might notice that some of them to the left look a little different. That is because I was doing a second row in a variegated thread trying to make it look better but to no avail.

I started to do a little on the other block with some variegated pink thread and it is not working for me either.

So guess what? It is back to the beginning for me with a whole new fabric choice. I will show the blocks as soon as I get them done. So they will be a go or be thrown in the trash too. My daughter wants me to finished the vase and give it to her, so I will do that.

With Passion and a little frustration,
Carrie P.
Even the darkest days can be brightened considerably by a s simple act of kindness. Help make someone's day a bit brighter today.
21 comments:
Don't waste all your hard work! Use colored pencils and color the roses to give them more definition! It's amazing the difference using colored pencils can make! Try it! What have you got to lose if you were going to just throw them out anyways?
Mmmm! I did a close-up view of the block. The background doesn't bother me but if it bothers you, it will make it hard to finish the project. A plainer look background might make you more comfortable. And looks like you will have something to do with the blocks you have already finished one way or the other.
What you call "trash" I call "treasure". Sorry you're unhappy but I happen to think they're beautiuful. :o) But you must do what makes you happy. Can't wait to see your new choices.
Carrie you always make beautiful choices on your color selection and your work looks impeccable to me.
But maybe you just need some RR or step away from the project for a day or two and you might see things differently.
Don't trash them! Put them away,if you don't care for them right now, but don't dispose of them; you'll look at them differently later on. Ask me how I know ;)
Carrie, don't trash them. I can only relate to my painting to try to draw a comparison to what you're experiencing. Many time I was unhappy with what I was painting and was ready to throw it in the trash. I learned to put it away for a couple of days and not look at it. Almost 100% of the time when I went back, I used to smile and say,"Now what was it that I didn't like about this?"
Sometimes we are too close to what we're working on to actually appreciate it and most od us are our own worst critics. Try not to start your next one til you let it sit doe a couple of days.
BIG hugs to you.
Carrie, You have my permission to trash the block if you aren't happy with it....not that it's horrible IMHO but if you aren't happy, sewing will be a labor instead of a joy. I have found that when using a verigated thread you have to go darker/brighter to get the effect your mind is visualizing.
Crispy
Put it away...come back to it later. Maybe then it will have the spark your looking for. Can't tell you how many times this has happened to me...and yes, I've tossed a few!
I have to agree with what everyone is saying.. put it away for a little bit and come back later. Or if it makes you feel better. finish it up and give it to your daughter if you don't like unfinished things hanging around. I know I made some pretty horrible raggedy ann dolls before, and put them up for sale and had them go fast as lightening. So beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
However.. those lily-of-the-valley are seriously beautiful. Each perfect flower. I'm going to go out and see if mine are up.. but I don't think they are yet.
I'm just like you. No matter what anyone says, if I'm not satisfied, I start again! (I did like them, tho' and hope you do something with them so as not to waste the effort).
I like the idea of the coloured pencils, that could make a huge difference and then they could be a cushion or put on a tote.
I just love lily of the valley!!!
Ohhhh...I love the stitchery with the slug! Slug is our state animal here in the PNW (not really, but it seems like it)! I would definitely try the colored pencil trick, but only you know what will make you happy, Carrie! Good luck!
Cheers!
I think we all have projects that haven't turned out as we had imagined them too! Hope the stars align themselves for you today and everything falls into place.
I agree with most everyone else. Set it aside for a bit. Sometimes after a day or so a new idea comes to mind and is the answer. I think your stitching is beautiful, myself. But I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
i understand frustration with something, but i think your rose blocks look wonderful - the yellow and pink...
the lily-of-the-valley pic brings back fond memories...it was my grandma's favorite flower and she had a whole bunch always growing in her back yard...☺
I like it! Look at it again with fresh eyes in a few days.
You must see something I don't...looks "beauty" to me. What a nice way to end with the Lily of the Valley
Hi Carrie, Lots of opinions..all sound pretty good. I like the idea of the colored pencil too, although I have never used them. My aunt always uses color crayons and then melts off the wax. Have not tried that either!! So I am no help!
Sometimes the product just doesn't match the vision. It's a really great skill to be able to stop when you feel something just isn't working and then look at it all with a fresh eye. Of course, that doesn't help with the frustration any. But I hope that you are able to make your vision come to life the way you intend. :)
I'm interested in your verdictum after so many opinions! Actually I'm like that too, if I'm not happy with the results, I start again!...
what are those beautiful white flowers called?I have never seen them before.
Not lily of the valley are they??
Different to ones I have seen.
Post a Comment