Monday, July 20, 2009

Day Trip



My husband has a new work schedule during the summer months which means he has Fridays off. It has been great because we take little day trips and this past Friday we decided to go north of us and go shopping in the antique stores. We also decided to take a drive up to Pilot Mountain.Remember my signature blocks that I have been sending out to other quilters? Here is my picture from the lookout that is the picture above.


The picture above is a view toward the city Winston-Salem. The picture below is my where zoomed in as far as my camera would go. If you look close you can see the buildings downtown.
Another view to the left of Pilot Mountain. My husband I own 10 acres of land out to the left of that tiny peak. We hope to move out there within a couple of years.
We went into the town of Pilot Mountain and visited three antique stores on their Main Street.
Found some little napkins.

Another handkerchief with some very nice crochet trim.
Boy did I get excited when I saw this box full of all kinds of sewing stuff. I started digging and look at all this vintage rick rack I found. Check out the prices on some of the wrappers.
Another find was this thread on wood spools. Notice the three in the bottom of the picture. They are pure silk. The owner of the shop just got in some boxes of the thread. The boxes were falling apart but inside were these precious jewels.
I found envelope of kitchen motifs, looked inside to see if the patterns were in it and didn't pay any attention to the other papers inside but when I got home...
this envelope...
and this envelope were inside. Both have all their patterns too.
Check out this applique block I found. Noticed on the right hand side that a set of berries do not have the stems embroidered onto the fabric. I think I am going to soak the block in some Oxiclean and see it some of the stains will come out. The author of "Sugar Sacks" does that with old feed sacks that she finds. So I thought I would try it.

With Passion,
Carrie P.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler. Henry David Thoreau

26 comments:

Purple and Paisley said...

gorgeous scenery where you live! and what wonderful finds from the shops! love the kitchen-y patterns! lucky you! ☺

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way to spend your day. My gosh Stephanie is going to go gaga over that ricrac when she see's it. I noticed in the thread photo little bobbins, surely they weren't for machines?

Nanette Merrill said...

Oh Carrie what a great idea and a blessing to have Fridays to explore together. I'm very jealous. Lovely vintage stuff here.

Anonymous said...

Carrie,
What treasures you found.....I have all of my mothers sewing room items and her thread box. There are several of those little wooden spools and many large ones. I love the wooden spools. My grandkiddos play with the empties with all the wooden blocks that their daddies played with.
So nice that you have Fridays to go exploring with your hubbby....where to next?
Hugs, Barb

soggybottomflats said...

My mouth watered whtn I saw your appliqued block! The ric rac, thread and those wonderful transfers! What a great day you had. I hope you have lots more fun day trips, lucky you! Elaine

Abby and Stephanie said...

You scored on your antique shopping!!! Great goodies. That is one gorgeous applique block...I think it was secretly waiting for you to find it.

Lovely views. I love the mountains.

Candace said...

My husband and I have Friday's off together in the summer as well - it's so nice to have those 3 days - little mini-vacations! You two had such a nice drive, Carrie! Love the photos - and I know you can't wait to move to your property!
What fun finds - those are the best kind!
Cheers!

Karen said...

Now that's a nice day trip and you came home with lots of goodies!

Janet said...

Great finds!!! I love the applique block. Your scenery pictures are beautiful too.

Karen said...

The applique block with leaves & berries is a good find!

Allie said...

What a lovely day - the view is magnificient. And the treasures you found - I'm drooling over that thread! Good job~

YokkoBears ♥ Bears with a HEART ♥ said...

Hi Carrie, great to see these scenery photo's, thank you.
And what a great wooden spools with threads you've found, I love these.

Anonymous said...

Haven't ever been to Pilot Mountain...doable. I'll add it to my list. You've found some good little treasures.

Robin said...

Your photographs are just beautiful! It sounds like a lovely daytrip. My family definitely needs to do more of those!

You made some great finds too, it looks like. All that rick-rack! And the little stash of silk thread? Nice! You'll definitely have to let us know how the Oxiclean works on that block. I hope it helps, because the block is just so lovely.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Wonderful photos....but your finds Carrie...what stories all these treasures could tell, love the piece of applique..

Sherri said...

What wonderful pictures! Thanks so much for sharing them!

Miriam said...

Thank you for the virtual tour of where you live. Gorgeous photos. Love that little squirrel!!

Some great finds at the antique stores.

Janet said...

What a great way to spend the day. Loved the photos and your finds are wonderful.
I love the little block.

Crispy said...

What a wonderful place to retire to. It's so fun to take day trips.

Crispy

Mel said...

Lovely finds!! Great treasures!

Danielle said...

Great pictures from your daytrip! I love the 'finds' too. I feel the browsing for antiques bug coming on.

Jan said...

Sounds like a lovely day! And all of that rick rack and the cherry block (*swoon*), too! East coast antique shops are the best.

Salem Stitcher said...

What great finds! The applique block is gorgeous. One of these days, I'm going to wander around those shops myself!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

What a super way to spend the day, and all the winderful vintage goodies, how fun! Love the kitchen pattern!!

Susan said...

What wonderful treasures you found. It would be great to have access to many places where you could find treasures and bargins like these. I'd love to find a vintage apron pattern somewhere!!!

Jenny of Elefantz said...

What a rewarding day trip, Carrie!! Lots of lovely bits and pieces to play with...