This weekend I finally felt like getting into my sewing room to do a little prep work for some things I am going to work on. I am sure you all recognize these little trademark roses of
Jenny's. I am doing her "Give Thanks" BOM. I have the other parts of the little wall hanging cut out but not sewn together yet. I decided it was time to take my sewing machine in to be cleaned and serviced. But for now I will do some embroidery on these two parts.

I also got the "Autumn" pattern traced on the fabric and cut out the wool pieces. More embroidery to do on this too.

This year the facilitator in my Wednesday applique group decided that we would do this pattern. I had actually bought the book months before she told us what the new project would be.
Some of the ladies in the group are buying a kit from the shop we meet at but when I found out we were going to do this pattern I started collecting a line of fabric called Martinique by 3 Sisters for Moda. The green fabrics are from my stash since there were not any greens made in the line. You can see the kitted fabrics from the shop on Mrs. Goodneedle's blog. I read on Crafty Musings that Robin is also going to be doing the same pattern as a BOM. You can see her kit here.
Here is what I have done so far. I really like the preparation process. For me it is a relaxing time and it is fun to see the block come together like a painting.
With Passion,
25 comments:
Good for you to join in on such a pretty project - "Hop To It." It's good motivation to be doing it alongside others. Maybe that's what I need to get back to the Joseph's Coat project. I can't figure why I find it so difficult to work on hand-applique. Maybe it's the prep work? Maybe I really don't like it?! Still, once I'm seated, with a really good light (sometimes that's difficult to get), it's very enjoyable. Do you have a secret for accomplishing so much handwork? A special chair? A particular lamp?
I love to see applique in the process.. very exciting! I am preparing to do my first applique.. and I will be doing freezer paper method.. however I think my method calls for the freezer paper to be on the back side.. I'm so very nervous to start an applique, and yet so very excited at the same time.. Eeeeek!
I love Hop To It!! You are going to love every second of making that quilt! You can't go wrong with Eydta or Martinique. I'm going to enjoy following you make it as well, Carrie! :-)
I agree with you Carrie - prepping applique is so relaxing and fun! Yours looks great.
Glad you are back to feeling better and just in time for SNOW! Is it snowing there now? We woke to a few inches first thing and I'd heard it hadn't started your way yet.
Oh, Carrie, I can't wait to follow along with your progress on all your sweet projects.
I'm searching for an applique project because I didn't do much, if any, last year. I've missed it so much. Any thoughts?
This is going to be so pretty. It's always nice to do things in a group - keeps everyone motivated to keep up. What's your favorite method of applique? I love the easy prep of needle turn, but like the finished look of the starch method for tricky pieces. Do you also use an overlay method for keeping everything in line or do you "gulp" draw it on your fabric. So many questions, lol
I love that pattern and I know your quilt will be gorgeous!
Glad to hear you are feeling better.
Jenny has such a sweet and delicate style. Always lovely, as is your work. I look forward to watching the progress on all of your projects.
I looove Martinique fabric!!! One day I would love to make one of Edyta Sitar's patterns.....too may UFOs here at the moment! lol
I will enjoy watching your progress from afar.
I love EVERYTHING Edyta Sitar does...her latest book featuring strips is nice as well. I think if I could ever pick just one favorite, I would start one as well. A lot of her stuff features batiks, which I don't have a huge stash of. Your fabric bundle looks LOVELY and makes me just want to jump in! Can't wait to watch all your things unfold and blossom.
In stitches,
Teresa :o)
Aren't we having FUN? Your colors are very pretty and delicate.
I love that range of fabric too> It is going to look so beautiful.
Oh my Carrie, you're already "hopping"...and you're so good at it...LOL
I love to watch as you show us your blocks along the way.
Hugs...always.
I love Jenny's Give Thanks - I still have to decide which fabrics to use before I decide on threads. You're doing so well getting your projects prepped, I can't wait to start prepping some myself!
Thank goodness you're feeling better, I love the new project and I'll be looking forward to seeing more.
So glad you are feeling better Carrie and that you are able to get back into your sewing room.
I am with you, the prep process of applique is very relaxing, mind clearing and somewhat healing for me. Love the Hop To It quilt (I have the book) and I really love the fabrics you will be using!
So many lovely projects!
I'm glad you're feeling better. It looks like you are starting some lovely projects - I look forward to watching your progress.
I'm really going to have fun watching your progress and the progress of your group on this one. I too love the prep work :0)
Crispy
I love seeing the beginnings of a project...and then the progress! I hope you will show in progress pictures!
Seeing your prep work is inspiring, Carrie! I'm seriously feeling the need to do some applique now.
The Give Thanks project looks like it is going to be beautiful. I can't wait to see how your Hop to It starts coming together too. It will be a lot of fun seeing it put together in completely different fabrics!
Great preparations, Carrie! Isn't it relaxing that now you've done this, you can just sit down and work on it!
Love your new banner!
Carrie - I am so glad you are both feeling better. The work on your blocks looks good.
Stay warm and well.
Hugs - Marie
I bought the same book. Love the applique projects in them. Cabn't wait to see your progress! What applique technique do you use?
Post a Comment