(Warning:long post)
Nothing much going on around my place. I have been doing physical therapy twice a week plus at home. Still some swelling which I found out from my physical therapist that it could last up to 12 weeks while the inside of my knee heals. I am now walking normally but I still take the stairs one at a time when I come down.
I have been upstairs to my sewing room and was working on the borders again for my Hop To It quilt. While staying downstairs I did get some pieces stitched in place on my Harrington and Hannah block. Now to add the embroidered details to this block.
I thought I would show you the progress of the garden so far. I don't have to spend too much time in it yet. Things are growing really well.Here is the garlic bed. If you look close you can see some curly things growing from some of the garlic leaves. Those are called scapes. I will use them just like garlic in some spaghetti sauce tomorrow.
The bed in the foreground is potatoes, next bed has bell peppers and some flowers. The next is zucchini along with some hot pepper plants. On both sides of that bed are some sunflowers which will be opening soon. They are a small variety. The bed way in the back is full of three different kinds of beans.
I bought some asparagus this spring but these won't be ready to eat for 3 years.
The bed in the foreground of this photos has a beans in the back, cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli. Unfortunately one day I went out there and saw the plants in the middle had been eaten by a
rabbit. I had the row cover over them but there was an opening where he found his way in. Needless to say I was a little upset.
The bed in the back is full of really yummy lettuce and carrots which the rabbit ate some of the tops of those too. I did have a bunch of peas along the back of that bed which were growing on a fence. If you look at the far right top corner you see just a few plants left because the rabbit ate all the other pea plants. I did manage to save those plants and got a bowl full of snap peas which were so good. We ate them raw in a salad.
Here is the bed with two kinds of beets. New to me.More potatoes and onions. Look, Candace, the bed on the right are the ones you sent me and they are doing well.
This bed has tomatoes and tomatillos. More onions too.
Here is some lavender I have growing down by the house.
Look close and you can see a tiny pea growing. It has some of the white flower on the tip.
Check out this moth I found on some plants in my front yard. Pretty cool!
We finally got our deer fence put up this past weekend. I don't think the rabbit can get through those holes now that it is bigger. I pulled some fabric out of my scrap bag and tied ribbons all along the fence.This is so the deer will hopefully see the fence and not run into it.
Some of my harvest. Lettuce, beets, and carrots. I pulled up these carrots because the orange part was showing and they were a little crowded with some other carrots. Not much to them yet.
We planted corn this past weekend. We also have melon seedlings coming up. Still waiting on sweet potatoes to come in the mail.
23 comments:
What a wonderful garden, Carrie! I'm so glad the onions are doing well! I sure wish we were at harvest stage on some of ours, but still too soon in this neck of the woods! Yours and Bruce's hard work is really paying off! I like to just saute the scapes in butter or olive oil and eat them that way - they're very mild. The moth almost looks like a plant! Glad you're healing up well and able to get out into the garden a bit!
Cheers!
Awesome Garden! I just have tiny sprouts! Good for you...nothing better than growing your own garden goodies...
That garden makes me a little envious, I used to have a garden (much smaller though!) and now I live on a third floor apartment!
Lovely, hope that knee heals up quickly so you get to play in the garden!
That garden makes me a little envious, I used to have a garden (much smaller though!) and now I live on a third floor apartment!
Lovely, hope that knee heals up quickly so you get to play in the garden!
I am glad we moved to a house with no stairs. Though, I loved the house we lived in that was two stories high. With the knee replacement surgeries, would have been miserable.
I keep thinking I should have started on the Harrington blocks. Just too many other projects in the works.
I'm hungry. If you seen a blonde rabbit eating those baby carrots, don't shoot, it's just me.
A wonderful garden...there is something about growing your own produce that makes fresh taste even better! I am glad you are working at your therapy.
Wow! What a huge garden. My father-in-law always had a nice garden. He had trouble with deer, but more trouble with gophers! What beautiful bounty.
I had never heard of garlic scrapes until we got our farm baskets last year. So yummy in scrambled eggs. Your garden is going to be bountiful.
Love your H&H block! Carrie your garden looks so amazing, I had no idea about the garlic...my friend Shirley is growing some, we're learning about it together, I'll tell her this. I can't believe the asparagus won't be ready for three years, wow that's patience, lol! Your harvest looks wonderful. I hope the deer and the bunnies stay away!
I wonder if that's a luna moth, it is beautiful.
I really enjoyed your garden tour Carrie!. It is going to provide so many delicious meals!
wow, that's a garden....reminds me of growing up, we always had a huge garden and spent my summers canning and freezing......I love to can, and am so glad that's something my mom taught me to do.
Your garden reminds me of what my Grandmother used to do. I only wished I had the space, this city living is for the birds. Glad your getting to do some work on your projects but it stinks the reason why (your knee). Hope you continue to have a speedy recovery.
Thank you for sharing your garden with us! You've done an amazing job with it! Wishing you an AWESOME harvest this year!
I've been reading along and meaning to come by and leave you a comment. First, I sure hope your physical therapy is going well.
I'm in love with your garden...I need to come and learn from you...I see you have many great beds..I'd like to expand our garden too.
Smiles,
Kelly
Sometimes, slow is a good thing. Especially when tasty eats from the garden are involved! :) Hope you are doing well.
Glad to hear the recuperation is progressing nicely. Enjoy the quiet times while they last.
Love your H and H block!
Beets? Oh how yummy! I don't even know how to cook beets. You are truly amazing Carrie. I love all the home grown goodness. Truly I wish I was your neighbor. I would trade you wool and floss for these yummy veggies. Oh and some cooking lessons. :)
Oh my goodness Carrie - how many beds do you have? My sister is the gardener in our family - got that gene from Daddy - but she switched his in-ground garden to raised beds and raves about them. Me, I planted 3 Romaine lettuces, 3 cabbages, 3 cantaloupes (2 are dead already), 3 watermelon and some onions. I also have a small herb garden that usually does well. But this year it's already so dry that I doubt anything makes. We water but it's just too hot, too early I'm afraid. blessings, marlene
You will be able to harvest something from your garden for the next few months, how wonderful! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
Wow! I love your garden, some day when I grow up I am going to have a garden like that. At least that is the goal when my hubs gets home from deployment :)
glad to hear you are on the mend. I love the photos of your veggie patch!
I'm super impressed with the garden. We are letting ours "rest" this year. We have too much property. Anyway take care of yourself.
Post a Comment