Monday, April 28, 2014

Introducing Redbird Quilt Co.

Are you familiar with the blog called Karen's Quilts, Crows and Cardinals? I found her blog through some other blog I read. Can't recall which one though.  I am so glad I decided to stop by to see what kinds of things she was blogging about. Karen does beautiful wool and cotton hand applique. 
Karen has decided to start a new endeavor by designing patterns. Spring Basket is her first ever published pattern.
Isn't it sweet? You know that bird caught my eye first thing. He makes the pattern even more sweet.
I have been a pattern tester for Stephanie for quite sometime. When I saw that Karen was going to be designing patterns I asked her if she would like me to test her pattern for her. I wasn't sure what she might say but she said yes. Once I got the pattern I went through my wool to prep the pieces which you saw here. Karen recommends using #8 perle cotton thread. I didn't have the colors I needed for my quilt so I just used what I had that matched the wool.

Here is my version of the mini quilt. I finished the applique in three nights while watching TV. I didn't want to put it down. I enjoyed seeing the quilt evolve. 

Here are some of the details. The background color is more true in the photo above. I used a flash on the bird photo. Isn't he cute? As you can see from the bottom photo I did free motion quilting around the wool sections. Karen chose to do a big stitch on her quilt.
Karen has written an excellent pattern. I was a little nervous about trying to cut out the half moon shape but with her directions I had no problem whatsoever. Her pattern has other illustrations that will be very help even for a beginner. She breaks the pattern down into sections explaining exactly how she stitched the wool pieces. You can get this pattern in a pdf or your can buy the paper pattern which includes the pattern pieces already printed out on freezer paper. Now how is that for getting you started. I think that is an awesome idea.

Would you like a chance to win a pattern from Karen? She is giving away two patterns. The giveaway is open to Domestic and International winners. If you live in the US you will have your choice of a paper pattern or the pdf. If an international winner is chosen you will receive the pdf.

All you have to do is go by Karen's blog and tell her that you saw her cute pattern on my blog. Be sure that I have some way to get in touch with you if you are one of the two winners.  You can also "like" Karen on her facebook book page, find her new pattern and a free pattern on Craftsy and follow her on Pinterest  and Twitter. Pick one or all of those and that way you will never miss out on what Karen is up to next.

And by the way, Karen is having a giveaway on her blog too. You won't want to miss out!

With Passion,
Carrie P.

ps The winner of the giveaway will be announced Thursday.





46 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

Karen got a wonderful tester. Your applique skills are amazing. Best of luck to Karen with her pattern endeavor. Since I don't applique, I just enjoy looking at it, I'll let others have a chance to win.

sandy from BC said...

A match made in Heaven. Karen's pattern is amazing.Love the bird.

Jodi Connors (Mountain Gurl Quilts) said...

I absolutely love your version. She is a wonderful teacher and designer isn't she? I have had so much fun following her, she is the one who got me started with applique!

Jodi

Jacqueline said...

This is so cute. I already follow Karen and now will follow you too. I love your work.

Karen said...

I have visited the blog in the past and noted that she does beautiful wool pieces. Your choice of background highlights the wools you chose for the basket, etc very well. Has a different look than the black but I like it.

Brenda said...

Love the pattern. I already follow Karen and now will follow you. Beautiful work.

Sandi said...

Carrie, you did a lovely job on Karen's design. I love working with perle cotton it has such a lovely sheen to it.

Rebecca in AK said...

Such a pretty pattern! You did an excellent job on your version! Love the colors you chose! I really like the idea of the pattern pieces pre-printed on freezer paper.

Lynn said...

How adorable! I love working with wool appliqué. How interesting that the pattern is printed on freezer paper!

sophie said...

You two make great collaborators!

Raewyn said...

It is gorgeous Carrie - I have been admiring this on Karen's blog as well. I love the 'different ' shape this little project is.

Raewyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Raewyn said...

It is gorgeous Carrie - I have been admiring this on Karen's blog as well. I love the 'different ' shape this little project is.

Lee said...

I adore Karen's pattern!!

Robyn said...

I love the colors you chose. This is a lovely pattern but you really brought it out.

Nancy said...

What a sweet pattern. I adore the bird and especially the way you used twill to cut out the wing. Fabulous!

Karens Quilts, Crows and Cardinals said...

Carrie my hat is off to you! Your rendition of Spring Basket is just over-the-top fabulous! I love the colors, the background, the stitching and especially the beautiful quilting (which really sets the applique off). Thank you for testing the pattern and providing such a thorough review. You are amazing -- thank you, thank you! Best of luck to everyone in the giveaway. Hugs, Karen

Katherine said...

Such a pretty pattern! And love your version!

Kathy H said...

Karen found a great tester. I have always loved your work. Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for helping Karen test her new pattern! This is my first time visiting your blog, and since I like what I see, I just added you to my bloglovin queue :)

Ruth B said...

Love this design and I follow Karen on Bloglovin. Great website!

Leeanne said...

What a beauty! So much fun for you to try this lovely pattern out.

Nancy said...

Oh my gosh....what a great team you girls are. The pattern is so pretty and your wool work is done very well. You did great with your thread choices too. I really like that Karen offers her patterns already printed on freezer paper....that is so awesome!

Janie said...

You do amazing applique. How beautiful. Thanks for the chance.

Cissa K said...

Really beautiful pattern and applique. I am enjoying wool applique lately. A new skill for me.Thank you.

Jess Burns said...

It's beautiful. :)
I need to learn applique. I did post on her blog.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

WOW Carrie, your applique is very beautiful!! Great pattern, wool applique is a new skill for me...
Thank you.
Hugs,
Deborah

marina said...

such a pretty pattern and that little bird is very cute!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Your sample turned out lovely and I love Karen's blog.

Lorene Holbrook said...

carrie you did a fantastic job!!! went to Karen blog, thank you for sending me over. I now follow her too! thanks for the chance

Joan H. said...

Such a lovely pattern! Your choice of colors is perfect.

Donna W said...

Karen's pattern is wonderful and your applique is beautiful. I follow both yours and Karen's blogs.

Ann in PA said...

I love the pattern...what's not to love about applique... and thank you for the info on Karen's blog. Great tutorial and wonderful giveaways!

Dar said...

That is a very cute pattern and yours turned out so well. I love the wool used for the cute little bird. Thanks for introducing me to Karen and for a chance to win a pattern.

StitchinByTheLake said...

Carrie this is a darling pattern! I'll go over to Karen's to check it out. :) blessings, marlene

Sheila said...

I have been following Karen for a while and I love your version of her great pattern , beautiful!

Janetnstar said...

Love your version of Karen' s basket. Beautiful stitching and color choices! Thanks for a chance to win!

Deb Fox-McHugh said...

Nice job Carrie! What a beautiful pattern Karen has made!

Cathy said...

Thanks for letting me know about the giveaway. You did such a beautiful job recreating her pattern. I went over to her blog and will be a follower of her too. Hugs

NANNASWORKROOM said...

Isnt this a lovely applique, what a great job you have as pattern tester. Its beautiful.

Debbie P said...

Cute pattern!!

Teresa in Music City said...

Karen is so lucky to have you test out her pattern! You did a wonderful job, and it means a lot to know that you recommend it :)

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Great job on the pattern....lovely. I left a comment and I follow you both.

Jeanne Gwin said...

What a wonderful job you did. Isn't Karen the greatest ever, I think so! Thanks for sharing your talent with us.

Unknown said...

I really enjoy applique and I would like to work with wool applique. The pattern is beautiful and the bird is adorable.
Pauline

perry94022 at hotmail dot com