Today I attended the El's Kitchen BOM at my local quilt shop. This is the block we had to have done by today.
I looked ahead to see what the next block was going to be for December. I made it sooner than I needed to because tomorrow I am having shoulder surgery on my left shoulder. I will have to wear a sling for 10-12 days if the doctor doesn't have to sew up the torn tendon. If he has to sew it up I will be in a sling for 3 weeks. We won't know until he goes in to take a look. UGH! I have been suffering with the shoulder for several years but just was not ready for surgery. Now is the time.
So what's a girl to do when she doesn't like sitting with idle hands? I will read these books. I have been collecting wool to hook a rug which I will start next year. I also have some quilting magazines that I will finish reading.
I have a lot of favorite recipes that I have wanted to copy onto recipe cards. I have been putting it off because I would rather quilt when I can. I am right handed so that is one good thing about having surgery on my left shoulder.
My house is clean, laundry done, meals in the freezer, bills paid, and house plants watered.
I decided to get my sewing room in order too. My fabric is all folded nice and neat again.I thought I would just show you this photo because my Christmas cactus is blooming. It is in my sewing room.
My sewing machine is also cleaned. I will peek in my sewing room now and then to take a look at my design wall of projects that will be waiting for me when I am all better.
I decided to treat myself to a new cutting mat. The one I had was so old that the flannel and batting I was making for the Christmas rag quilt would get stuck in the cutting lines. Plus I think it was causing my rotary cutter to get dull sooner than normal. Linda of Flourishing Palms shared this technique to revive your cutting mat. She shares how Olfa cutting mats love moisture. I guess it would work for other brands too. I might try this as time progresses.
My son found a friend who will watch my grandson for the next two months while I recover from surgery and go to physical therapy. I sure am going to miss him coming over during the weekdays.With Passion,
Carrie P.
40 comments:
I am so sorry to hear that you are having shoulder pain and need surgery. I wish you a speedy recovery and hope that you will be back working on your projects sooner than expected. Take good care of yourself.
your blocks look lovely.
sounds like you are prepared at home and mentally for your surgery. Hope all goes well and you are out of action for the shorter time.
gorgeous little pic of your grand baby.
I'll add you to my prayer list, Carrie. Fingers crossed for NO surgery and a speedy recovery either way. Thanks for the tip about the cutting mats, too. I was just starting to think it might be time to replace mine but I've never tried giving it a "Spa Day." If I can rejuvenate the old mat, I'd rather put the money toward MORE FABRIC. Mwahahaha! :-)
Rug hooking is a nice thing to do with quilting. You can hook with one hand, if you have a cutter that would make it easier too, but I assume you don't have the equipment yet. I hope your surgery goes well and you heal quickly.
Debbie
I hope your surgery goes well! Your blocks are very pretty.
Take care of yourself and don't over do it.
take care of yourself, good luck, will be thinking of you
Kathie
Here is hoping force speedy recovery. And what a cutie that little guy is, how do you get so much done while watching him????
Oh Carrie, I am so sorry you have to have surgery. I am sure there is no good time but now you will be all set for the Holiday's. Sounds as if you have everything ready. I think the hardest part will be to be without your grandbaby. Prayers are being sent.xx
Wishing you a speedy recovery -- I'd deliver meals on wheels if I lived closer. :o) Sounds like you have everything under control. I see some familiar and awesome quilts hanging in your neat sewing space. :o) Take good care. We'll be here when you get back.
Wishing you all the best for your shoulder surgery. You certainly seem to be totally organised with plenty to do in the recovery period and more sewing to look forward too. Such a cute grandson! Take care of yourself.
Hope the surgery is successful and the healing fast Carrie! I think the hardest part would be not seeing that sweet smiling face as often. I was at physical therapy today so I can continue to handle the grands, even though it is not nearly every day.
Prayers for a very successful surgery and speedy recovery! What a little doll - I know you will miss him!! Caught up on your last few posts - such lovely projects!! You are an inspiration! I've made 3 log cabin blocks, but I've been itching to make a scrappy log cabin quilt from all my scraps - You've inspired me to make it a leader/ender project for 2015!
Blessings
I hope the doctor gets you all fixed up and you're back to pain-free sewing in no time. Typical woman, you've been preparing and 'nesting' to make life easier for those around you. Good luck, and take care. Don't try to over do it when you get back home.
Wow Carrie! It sure looks like some major TLC is in order for you in the next few weeks :) I have to say, you've totally impressed me with your organization and preparations for being down a while! Your sewing room looks absolutely wonderful :)
Best wishes for the surgery, I hope all goes well. Sounds like you have a good attitude about it all.
Loved the wee tour of your sewing room!!
Sorry to hear you need surgery, hope all goes well. Beautiful sewing.
Take care of yourself and prayers for a speedy recovery.
Be kind to yourself - it seems like shoulder issues are prevalent among quilters. What impressive organization and forward thinking with your sewing room and right handed tasks you have planned.
Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery.
you take care of yourself...take it slow...don't push too hard, relax and I look forward to see how that design wall quilt comes out!
First of all, that is one exceptionally cute baby. I bet you will miss him. I bet your surgery and recovery will go be speedy and easy!
Wish you a speedy recovery post your surgery.
In a way it is good that you can now read and learn new things. Your grandson is very cute :)
Wishing you well with your surgery and recovery Carrie. It sounds like you will have plenty to do, keeping your mind ready even if you cant keep your hands busy.
I wish you a speedy recovery - good luck ♥
Take good care of yourself, dear Carrie!
(I love your sewing room)
Hugs
Deborah
Your blocks are beautiful, your sewing space divine! The envy of many quilters, I am sure. Certainly this one!! Love your design wall. Wish I had one! Maybe next year. Along with everyone else, I wish you a speedy recovery, Carrie. As these things go, soon it will be behind you. You've done such a good job getting all you ducks in a row in preparation. I will keep you in my thoughts. xo
Oh no. I'm so sorry you have to have surgery. David has his on the 18th. Not fun. Sending light, love and hugs that you recover quickly. Your sewing room and entire house looks lovely!
xx
I hope that it is the shorter sling recovery time!
your sewing room looks great -
sorry to hear about your surgery. My husband had it and had to have bone pins, and he still felt better when it was over - good luck!!
Wishing you the best outcome with your surgery. I had it two years ago and I'm so happy I did. Healing thoughts coming in your direction.
Best wishes for a successful surgery and recovery. Hope you are back in your sewing room soon!
What is it with shoulders? You are my third blogger friend who is having shoulder surgery! Take good care of yourself and I wish you a speedy recovery!
Best wishes for a successful outcome that is as painless as possible.
I'll be thinking of you....and I know you will be missing that beautiful grandbaby. Wish I could come over hand hold him for you :)
Kelly
Good luck with your surgery, Carrie! I'm sure you'll feel a million times better once you recover. I'm so impressed with your pre-surgery organization! Your room is perfect for inspiration once you're able to get back to sewing!
Cheers!
Good luck with your shoulder.
Take care Carrie - I wish a speedy recovery and hope you're back to sewing in no time!
I love your sewing room...so nice you got things all ready. When you return it will be all so nice and ready to mess up all over again. :)
Hugs,
Susie
Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Carrie! On the bright side, you definitely do not seem to lack for projects to keep you busy while you can't sew. :)
Been praying for you Carrie, I hope all went well and that you've started healing already. Your sewing room is lovely. Thank goodness it's your LEFT shoulder....and that you got as ready as you can. It makes a difference, for sure. I'm looking forward to some good updates from you, hon!!!
I'm sorry to hear of your injury!
Wishing you a successful surgery and super speedy recovery!
I hope by now this finds you recovering well from an easy surgery. Get back soon to your best loves... sewing, and that cute grandbaby!
Hi Carrie, just popping in to see how you are doing. Hope all is going well. You are missed!
Post a Comment