Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Applique and Houses




Yesterday I received a comment from Nanette suggesting more closeups of the applique quilt I showed you yesterday. So that is what you are seeing. Just a few more.
I know many of you out there are participating in the Christmas Cottage Exchange and I have been thinking about how I am going set my blocks. Have you all been thinking about that? I was watching Lap Quilting with Georgia Bonesteel on our pbs channel yesterday. She had a group of friends that had exchanged house blocks and each setting was so different. One had snow on the roofs and the ground. Some had sidewalks coming from doors. Lots of them had pieced or appliqued trees. Hmmm! One even had the houses sort of floating. Sort of like my flower quilt. No borders just the same back ground fabric. The houses reminded me of ones out in the country, far and few between, instead of in a row like a neighborhood. I hope you can picture that one in your head. It was so fascinating to see all the versions. I hope all of you that are participating will show your finished tops.

I was visiting some other blogs yesterday and came across this one: http://scrapsandstrings.blogspot.com/ Check out Oct. 27 and 21 entries. She has some house blocks that she is making into a quilt top.

With Passion, Carrie P.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so glad you showed some closeups. Really shows your nice handwork.
Teresa

Purple and Paisley said...

can you believe i've never appliqued? your gorgeous pics make me want to try! it will be interesting to see what everyone does with their christmas cottage blocks...=)

Abby and Stephanie said...

Your applique is just perfect. :o) Thanks for the link to scraps and strings. I have my cottage project on the back burner for now but I have thought of ways to set the blocks. I'm a visual person so I need to see them all together.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Those blocks are stunning! I like the idea of your houses (floating)out in the country instead of city houses all lined up, row by row. I did one like that, many years ago and had the houses separated by pieced evergreen trees. I'll dig that one out, I think I know where it is, and show it to you.

Sherri said...

Your applique' is so lovely...I'm glad you showed some more pictures. And I've been trying to decide how to set my Christmas cottage blocks as well...thanks for the ideas!

Nanette Merrill said...

I love the close-ups of your applique. It is so good! Really nice work. I have been thinking about my blocks, too, and how I want to do them. For my fall quilt I made them all in rows. I'm not so sure that is how I want to do my Christmas quilt. I was thinking how fun it would be to have some Christmas trees in between some of them. That would especially be great since different people are making the blocks they may be all different sizes, at least slightly. I will probably want to know how others are doing their before I make a decision. So I'm glad you put this out there. The floating houses is an interesting idea.

Browndirtcottage said...

you do such lovely applique carrie....i have done a small amount and i kinda like it.

Cheryl said...

I was just thinking about how to set them!!!! Love your applique. You do great work!

LuAnn said...

I love those applique blocks. I enjoy seeing your handwork.

Eileen said...

I'm glad you took Nanette's hint and showed more closeups of your lovely work. Beautiful!

Yes.. I've been thinking about the house blocks too. I'm going to end up with more than 12, so I'll have to see them all here before I decide what to do. It is going to be so much fun seeing what everyone comes up with.