Monday, June 1, 2009

Hankies

Look at all these lovely little hankies I found in an antique store several weeks ago. They were all pinned together for a lovely little price.
Last week I went to one of our local quilt shops to pick up this pattern I had ordered. It is a cover for a ten inch bucket that you can use for you quilt stuff. 

While I was in the store I decided to look at their other patterns and look what I found. Another pattern that uses handkerchiefs. I had been thinking it would be really neat to use the handkerchiefs in a quilt, but how? 

Here's how. The blocks have different tea pots that are embroidered and the tea pot sits on the table where the handkerchief would be used.

On Memorial Day my husband and I discovered an antique store in our town. While I was looking around I discovered this slightly soft package. I untied the little ribbon and...

opened the four flaps and ...
inside were all these handkerchiefs. Sixteen, in fact. I took it to the applique bee and was told that they might be from Moda. They didn't seem to be very old so I was wondering if you recognize these as being a Moda product, let me know. I like them even if they aren't vintage.

I found a couple free applique designs you can check out when you have time.
The Rabbit Factory has a free BOM which just started in May.
Here is a free Hibiscus flower pattern.
Go here and here and you can get some applique patterns from Robyn Pandolph.

With Passion, Carrie P.

The best thing about the future is that it only comes one day at a time. Abraham Lincoln




24 comments:

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Hi Carrie, No I did not get your eamils, lets work through our blogs and then we can just delete them when we are done. I hope you want to join!!

Nanette Merrill said...

Carrie, these are so cute. I love hankies. Such a sweet idea.

Abby and Stephanie said...

LOVE the teapot pattern using hankies. I was wondering if you'd use them in a quilt then scrolled further. I did a teacup mini wallhanging using doilies under the teacups.

Annette said...

the hankies are a sweet find! I love the idea of the little teapot quilt. Cute.

Crispy said...

Very cute patterns you found, love the bucket one. The hankies are so sweet!! I look forward to seeing what you end up making with them.

Crispy

Robin said...

Talk about serendipity! What a perfect pattern for those hankies... and teapots to boot! I love it. :)

Darlene said...

Oh Carrie the hankies you found pinned together are delightful.

I can solve your mystery your hankie package - it's a Moda product. I have something very similar - also full of hankies. You have some wonderful hankies in that package, as well.

The Crabtree stitchery design has been on my to do list for a very long time so I'll be anxious to watch your progress.

Just don't over do!

(hugs)

Candace said...

What fabulous finds, Carrie! I've seen several quilts made from hankies - such a great way to recycle! And I'm so happy Darlene solved the mystery!
Cheers!

Janet said...

What a find, the hankies are so lovely and you found a great pattern to use them in. I love the bucket pattern too.

Anonymous said...

I'll keep my eyes open for you now that I know you look for hankies. I find pretty ones from time to time. :-)
I've been gone a week and see I've missed all sorts of post here! Time to catch up!

Sherri said...

So many wonderful things today...the hankies are so cute...and I love that Crabapple Hill bucket...might have to go looking for that pattern...I'm off to check out the free patterns!

Jenny of Elefantz said...

What a feast for the eyes, Carrie!! I love vintage hankerchiefs too, I am drolling at yours. :-) That bucket is wonderful - I may have to look into purchasing that pattern. Thank you for the link to the Robyn Pandolph patterns, I will definitely be putting them on my to-do list!
Hugs,
Jenny

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Love the hankie ideas! I have some hankies that my grandmother has crocheted around that i would love to incorporate into a project. Thanks for the hankie ideas :)

Purple and Paisley said...

oh, carrie! your handkerchief finds are fabulous! swoon! i have several old hankies that belonged to my grandma...they are treasures! ☺

Rumi said...

Hankies are so hard to find anymore. You really lucked out! Looking forward to seeing how your hankie quilt turns out.

Salem Stitcher said...

I saw a quilt at Symposium this weekend that used hankies to make basket blocks. It was very sweet. I've been looking for hankies too. One day, I'm making a quilt out of them for my mom...one day.

Phyllis said...

Those old hankies are such a treasure! I have a few from my childhood (even one from when I was a Brownie!!!) and wish I had more of them.

I love that teapot pattern and it's a perfect way to use those treasures.

Kaaren said...

I love vintage hankies. I think they'd be awesome used in a quilt with 'things' embroidered on them.

Great patterns and thanks for the links as well.

Take it easy with your elbow. I know you're just itching to get at it but get well first.

M and M plus 3 said...

Carrie, I have the "Remember Me" blocks finished. I'm waiting to find just the right fabric to put these blocks together differently than what the pattern calls for. I really enjoyed doing the embroidery.

Eileen said...

Oh what pretty hankies Carrie :-) Both finds! I have seen some pretty neat hanky quilts.. in one they were folded in different ways to look like butterflies. I love the one with the teapots too.. so clever!
Hope your elbow starts feeling better soon.

Karen said...

That's a nice way to use the handkerchiefs. In one of my quilting books is a photo of an antique quilt that used hankies to make butterflies. Very pretty.

Karen said...

Thanks for sharing sew many wonderful sites to visit!
I was recently rummaging (cleaning) in my underware drawer and found a pile of hankies that I had forgotten about. They were given to me as a young girl, from my Grandmother. I have kept them all these years. Thinking they were way too pretty to blow your nose on! :0) I don't know that I could even cut them apart to put in a quilt, now that they represent memories for me. Although, I may have to take a closer look at the pattern you found. Very sweet! Perhaps if I use the ones that are somewhat already damaged....Hmmm.

Cheryl said...

Lucky you all those wonderful hankies and I really like the pattern you found. Yep, those are definitely from Moda. When I worked at the quilt shop I bought some that were Moda that were very similiar. I have that bucket pattern from a while back and have never found the right size bucket. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Wendy said...

Great find on the hankies. They'll be wonderful done with the teacups.
I wanted to make that bucket pattern and never got around to it...I look forward to seeing yours.