I am working on an Aunt Millie's Garden block. I thought I would show you this picture of how I place pieces onto the fabric. When I am using a background fabric that is hard to see through even with the use a light box I resort to putting pieces on this way. I buy thin vinyl by the yard at Joanns. Instead of tracing the whole block which is symmetrical I just trace half of it on the vinyl. The block has been fingered pressed so that I know where the center is. You can see a small X in the center of the vinyl, that will placed on top of the center of the fabric. I then take two flat head pins and pin the vinyl to the fabric and start laying my pieces down in order under the vinyl that will be appliqued. On this block I am using freezer paper on the bottom of the petals and leaves. The stems are being done using needle turn.

With Passion,
Carrie P.
What I do with today is very important because I will be exchanging a day of my life for it.
Anonymous
16 comments:
I can see how this would work well when you are placing all of the pieces down at once for basting.
Now that is VERY clever. I've never done really intricate applique, so usually just eyeball it, but I will keep this method in mind!
Great idea! I'm going to try that. I've got to lay out the borders on a black quilt and that soulnd like the perfect way to do it. They are supposed to mirror one another and I've been nervous about getting it just right.
Thanks!!
Thanks so much...I actually just bought some vinyl but silly me never thought about pinning the vinyl to my block. This solves the problem I was having!
Super idea, Carrie. This makes complete sense and is certainly a technique that I will try in the future.
Thanks for sharing.
Oooo pretty Carrie!! Why do you use needle turn for one part of the block and freezer paper under on another part....inquiring minds would love to know LOL.
Crispy
Carrie thank you for sharing that great idea!
Thanks, Carrie - this has always been a puzzle to me - not anymore thanks to you!
Cheers!
WOW!! I am always, always so impressed by how you do your applique! I dibble and dabble, but you do such excellent work. Very precise. I love seeing the techniques you use. Maybe someday.....
Carrie, I have Miss Millie's Garden pattern also and it is on my "list". Such a beautiful pattern. Your techniques are fantastic , thanks for sharing.
Always terrific tips! The one time I did applique our teacher had us use the vinyl layover and it was so helpful. I just can't wait to see your Aunt Millie quilt complete.
No wonder your blocks come out so perfect!
Carrie, your block is gorgeous! Love the red background.
Mandy
Thanks for this great tip, Carrie! Your work looks beautiful!
Lightbulb! You pin the vinyl? So smart. I'm definitely going to try that next time.
So, so pretty! You do such beautiful work, Carrie. I can't wait to see the completed block!
I'm sure this is going to be a beautiful block.
Post a Comment