Monday was the last day of our day in the mountains. We went and ate breakfast at the Morning Glory Cafe again. They serve a great breakfast, much better than a fast food place. After we ate breakfast we arrived at the
Asheville Cotton Co. just as they opened. I bought some fabric and three Homespun Magazines. They had a ton of fabric. Here are a few pictures of the inside of their store. Lots of pretty fabrics to choose.



We left Asheville and headed north to the town of Burnsville. We were going to see one particular quilt shop and found this one. So I went in and checked it out. I just bought a stencil that had 3 different size birds on it.

Check out this mural that was next door to this quilt shop. Almost looks like you could drive down the road.

Mitchell County and Yancey County have a quilt block trail. Burnsville is located in Yancey County. Different buildings have different blocks on them. I took pictures of a few of them.


This pretty block called Silver Threads and Golden Needles was on the front porch of the quilt shop called
Needle Me This. This was the shop I was looking for. Their shop was featured in the Better Homes and Gardens Quilt Sampler magazine. That is how I found out about them.

Here are some pictures of their shop. Very pretty.



Here is the Pineapple Friendship Star on the Yancy County Chamber of Commerce Building.


While we were in Burnsville we also went into the Town Hall building and saw a 24 feet wide quilt hanging on the wall done by Barbara Webster. You can read about it and see it
here. There are 1,310 photos of Yancey county and it shows the four season. It really is a neat quilt to see. I took pictures but I didn't want to put pictures up because of copyrights.

After we left Burnsville we got on the Blue Ridge Parkway. This is a picture of the viaduct. We drove on to Blowing Rock, ate dinner and headed on home. We really had a great time. But it was good to be home too.

Here are all the goodies I got on my travels. Some are from the quilt shops and some are from antique stores that we stopped to visit too.
With Passion,
Carrie P.
Why not go out on a limb? That's where the fruit is. Will Rogers
27 comments:
I just finished posting about my trip this past weekend to Boone. We didn't do a quilt shop tour this time. Forgot there was a App State home game so it was a little crowded in town! I will have to check those shops out. I went to the first one a few years ago before they moved. I'm ready to go again!
Carrie you got some great things! What are you going to do with the wooden spools? I have a couple and I love them but I'm not sure exactly what to do with them. blessings, marlene
You certainly were a busy girl! I love going to the Blue Ridge Mountains! Boy, that mural is very striking! It really looks like you can drive right into it!!
Delightful trip with your Sweetie - thank you for sharing!
Sounds like it was a wonderful trip the scenery of the Blue Ridge Mountains combined with quilt shops. Could it get any better? Were the Homespuns new or back copies - I'm looking for a place here that sells Homespun.
Love the wall mural. It does look real.
I like to see the quilt blocks on buildings. We are seeing it more and more when we travel.
What a fun trip! That mural is something else! Very realistic and lovely. It's so nice to be able to get away from it all for a weekend. :)
What a terrific day. Great shops...that's how I like to plan my "vacations." :o) We have quilt barns in Ohio and I hope to visit many of them.
I spy some fantastic spools in your purchases. :-) I absolutely love those!
Thanks for sharing...I'm close enough to add this to one of our weekend getaways down the road.
Oh Carrie, looks like you had such fun. I just love stopping into new stores.
I get to go to the Des Moines Quilt Expo in a couple of days. I'm looking forword to doing some shop hopping myself.
Here's sending good wishes for your safe journey back home.
What wonderful shops! Sounds like a perfect trip!
Nice shopping..loved every one of the fabrics ( and the beautiful stitcheries) and the christmas stocking pattern was just wonderful... I loved it... :o)
And thanks for showing a lot of interior pictures from the shops.. I clicked every one and looked closer and wished I was there!!!! ;o)
It looks like you had a wonderful trip. The area looks beautiful and I love the quilt squares painted in their shops. We don't have things like that here in the west. Thanks for sharing!
I'm drooling, Carrie. I want ALL the vintage and antique treasures that you bought. I just love the two embroidered bluebirds. It reminds me of the things my grandma used to stitch. And the vintage apron and the wooden spools of thread and the list goes on.
It sure sounds and looks like you had a lot of fun. Wish I could have joined you.
What a lovely trip Carrie. So fun.
Carrie it sounds like a great trip and it is always nice to come home with goodies.
Would you believe that I did not know how to quilt while I lived in North Carolina. I really missed out on the great shops.
Sounds like heaven...lucky you.
Wow, that first shop was fabric Heaven, and it looks like you got some Heavenly goodies!!
Obviously I'm traveling with the wrong people - I think I need to come with you! Wow!
What an awesome trip. I would love to do that. You have some great finds!
Looks like you had a great trip. Thanks for sharing it with us.
What a fabulous place, I must come and visit sometime!
What a fabulous day out, I bet you were tired at the end of it. I think you found some lovely shops and some great goodies. I clicked on the link to see the quilt, it's astounding. Thanks for sharing.
Wonderful places, great quilt shops! I wish I could visit them, too.
I thoroughly enjoyed all your photos, Carrie. And the mural just needs "the yellowbrick road" in it to fully look like the movie.
And the goodies, well, they're just "good".
Looks like your little trip was well worth it.
Thanks for the fun shop reviews! I love visiting shops virtually and in person!1
What a wonderful post. The Quilt Trail blocks are fabulous. I do love the story behind those. And the shops!! I can just imagine walking through them.. your photos were wonderful. Thank you for the virtual tour Carrie!
Post a Comment