Saturday, October 10, 2009

Quilt Festival

I thought I would join the Blogger's Quilt Festival this year with one of my old quilts. This is one of my favorite quilts. Here is the story behind this quilt. Shortly after I got I married which was in 1976 I was looking through a magazine and saw a picture of a log cabin quilt. When I saw that quilt I told myself I could make this quilt. Looked pretty simple. So I went and bought all the fabric and made a template because that is what the directions said to do. Well, I started cutting out the pieces with scissors and decided I had enough of that. So I gave the fabric and the pattern to my grandma who was a quilter not giving that quilt another thought. Then one Christmas maybe two years later my grandma gave me a big surprise. It was that quilt all sewn by hand. It was layered and tied with yarn. If you look at the close up you will see a block that needs repair which I really need to take care of soon. I used this quilt all the time until we got a king size bed.

This is how my grandma would finish all her quilts. She takes the back and brings it around to the front to make the binding.
With Passion,
Carrie P.

Desire to have things done quickly prevents their being done thoroughly. Confucius

37 comments:

CarolM said...

Carrie - Grandmas are the best, arne't they? I always have such wonderful thoughts when I think of mine. I did not realize her wisdom until after she was gone.

Thank you for sharing a sweet story. Great fall colors in the quilt.

Working on my siggies today.
CarolM.

Latane Barton said...

What a precious treasure.

Blogless me said...

Are the colours of this quilt also a hint? They do say autumn to me.

Zonnah said...

It is beautiful!

Cindy said...

Grandmas ARE the best. My passion for sewing came from Grandma. I'd sit by the hours watching her sew and crochet. When I was old enough to hold a needle she let start sewing. And, I crochet as well, but never as nice as grandma.

You have a memory, Carrie, cherish it.

Anonymous said...

Wish my grandma quilted so I could have a wonderful treasure such as this. How did I become the quilter of the family?! Geez...no influences in the family at all. Anyway, what I wanted to say before I was side-tracked it that one of my very first classes was learning to flip the back to the front for the binding.

Carol said...

What a treasure...full of wonderful memories.

Janet said...

What a marvelous gift from your Grandma. A well used quilt is a well loved one :0)

Purple Pam said...

How wonderful to have such a treasure in that quilt. Your story brought tears to my eyes. The only thing I have made by my grandmother is a crocheted doily that my aunt gave me on my wedding day.

Allie said...

What a treasure!! How wonderful of your grandmother to make that for you - it's wonderful!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Grandma's are so wonderful, aren't they??

Susie said...

What a special quilt!

Beth Karese said...

A story of love that went in a circle. Thanks for sharing.

Anne at Film and Thread said...

It's so nice to have a part of your grandma with you when you use this quilt.

Sherri said...

What a wonderful story to your quilt...that's what this quilt festival is all about!

Mel said...

Thanks for sharing the quilt and wonderful story!!

My grandmother helped me hand quilt my wedding quilt . . .

She also made several authentic 30's quilts.

Grandma memories are the best!

Jodi Nelson said...

Wow. What an awesome story and awesome quilt! Such a treasure! And the binding. That is how I was taught many moons ago. ;o)

Deb said...

Carrie so awesome!! what our gram's would do for us..8-)
Imagine what she was thinking as she hand pieced this for you. It is a treasure thanks so much for sharing.

MichelleB said...

What a great quilt. And all hand sewn - amazing!

Robin said...

What a fun Christmas surprise that must have been! It is beautiful. Thanks for sharing it. :)

AnnieO said...

What a great end to your start on that quilt! What a wonderful Grandma you had. My Grandma was also a quilter of sorts and I have several of her quilts, including a yo-yo quilt in feedsacks that she had for 60 years before it got tied to a backing. Thanks for sharing your quilt's story.

Unknown said...

So sweet of your grandma! And what a remeberance of her.

Kaaren said...

Now that's the true definition of a 'Memory Quilt".

Thanks for sharing, Carrie. And look at how far you've come.

Dawn said...

What a great quilt! Love the story behind it.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

What a beautiful quilt, I have bond my quilts that way also. Thanks for sharing.

marlene@ByTheSeam said...

That is so very wonderful. What a terrific Grandma you have. What a treasure the quilt is. Something of your Grandma for you forever. Thanks for coming to my blog and leaving a comment.

Crispy said...

What a wonderful thing your gramma did and it's perfect that it has been so well loved.

Crispy

Laura said...

Lovely quilt and lovely story. Greetings from Mexico

Karen said...

Wonderful quilt Carrie!

Abby and Stephanie said...

A very special quilt your grandma finished and gifted back!

ranette said...

What a special grandma to make this quilt for you. Very pretty and well loved quilt.

Jocelyn said...

Lovely quilt. I too have used your Grandma's method of binding :-)

Jocelyn
http://happycottagequilter.blogspot.com/

Wendyb said...

What a beautiful story....surely a quilt to be treasured forever.
'o) Wendy B

Rene' said...

What a great story. The quilt is beautiful. Love the colors. Thanks for sharing.

Diane said...

beautiful quilt and super special because of the story that goes with it.

Unknown said...

What a treasure! I love that you both loved the same pattern :)

Casey said...

It's beautiful. Lovely earthy colors.