Friday, December 4, 2009

Christmas Giveaway Winner!

I know you all want to know who the winner is of the giveaway so... Lynn of Diary of a Mad Quilter has won. Congratulations Lynn.

When we went to get our Christmas tree we stopped at an antique store and look at this crochet tree pot holder I found. I have seen lots of different patterns of pot holders in the stores but I just never bought one until now. I love trees and this one is just perfect for Christmas but it will probably stay up all year.
I also found these two great jars to store my vintage buttons in.
Remember I told you I was working on some binding? Here is the quilt all done. I know you think this might be funny but I washed it. This is the first time I have done this. I would read on other blogs how you all do this when you finish a quilt so I did it. It is all ready for my daughter to wrap up in it. It is the Yellow Brick Road Pattern. The story behind this quilt is that my daughter made the top last spring and it has been sitting in one of her fabric boxes. Yes, she is a quilter too. So for Christmas I thought I would make the back, get it quilted and bind it for her. I know she won't mind because the backing and binding are not her favorite parts of quilting. So she will be surprised when she opens this present for sure.
This past summer I participated in a Christmas in July swap. Finally I get to pull out the things that Deb made for me. You might remember them from when I showed them in the summer but just in case you don't, here is the little table topper Deb made for me. Look at all the fine embroidery she did.
Deb also made this bag which was filled with all kinds of goodies and I wanted to display it somehow so I filled it polyfil and made a pillow out of it. Thanks again Deb.
You can also see a wall hanging Deb made for me which hangs in my sewing room on this post.

Thanks for all the comments about the lights. It really is about even between white and colored lights. Some of you use both. What ever you use make it a Jolly Christmas!

With Passion,
Carrie P.

What do we live for, if not to make life less difficult for each other. George Eliot

22 comments:

Rae Ann said...

Congratulations to Lynn!
I love your great finds from the antique store. That is my kind of day!
Beautiful quilt! And tell me...where do I find a Deb? Those are great items~

Loralynn said...

What a thoughtful thing to do for your Daughter! Last year, I talked my Mom into taking a quilt as you go table runner class with me, mind you, she sew's well, but doesn't really like to. Well I knew that she wouldn't do the binding and it would sit in a box. So for her birthday last year, I gave her a coupon to finish the top for her. She was thrilled and I got it done before Christmas so she could use it! One of the best gifts I gave her! I'm sure your Daughter will be over the moon!

Cindy said...

I'm sure you will be receiving a giant hug from your daughter when she opens the thoughtful quilt you finished for her.

Ooh, I love the crocheted potholder. Yes, I agree, Carrie - you could keep this up year-round. It's truly a special potholder, one I don't think I could find myself using (except for decoration). And, I do admit - I LOVE those jars - I have one vintage canning jar that MIL gave me years ago that I store Christmas buttons in to display. Love them.

And don't want to forget to send congrats to Lynn.

AnyoneCanQuilt said...

I love a good antique/thrift store find don't you? Love your Christmas goodies Deb made for you. They are so pretty! I love seeing everyone's Christmas decorations. x

LollyChops said...

I need me a Deb too!

Congrats to the winner!

HUGS Carrie!

Unknown said...

I'd LOVE if someone took one of my flimsies and finished it up for me. Too bad I'm the only quilter in the family, though it also means everyone is always amazed at my quilts, not matter how bad the bindings or something is.

Kaaren said...

Your daughter is going to be both thrilled and surprised, Carrie. It turned out beautifully!

Congratulations to Lynn.

I love your antiquing finds. They're right up my alley!

Crispy said...

What a wonderful way to surprise your girl!! She's gonna love it!!

Oooo milk glass, I love that stuff.

Crispy

Susan said...

Congratulations to Lynn.

Carrie, this is a great present and your daughter is going to be surprised and thrilled, I'm sure. My daughter does not quilt and I have promised her one so I better get going (oh, not for Christmas, like when can I fit that in, hahaha).
Nice to see how you are using your gifts from Christmas in July.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Yippee for Lynn! Your daughter is going to be thrilled I'm sure. Oh what a cute tree potholder. Never seen one like it. Terrific jars too. I'm off to browse the antique mall tomorrow.

Betsy said...

Carrie you lucked out on your Christmas in July swap. Your items are adorable.

Robin said...

Your site is very nice . I love the pot holder. I have never seen that pattern before.
I have many old jars with old wooden sewing thread spools in them

Karen said...

I've never washed a quilt after making it either. So, would you do it again?

Karen said...

The Christmas tree pot holder is a good find. I have never seen one in that pattern.
Your new Christmas embroideries from your exchange are just perfect for display over the holiday season. That was a good exchange.

Millie said...

Congrats to Lynn!
The quilt you made for your daughter is beautiful and it looks so soft. Love your Christmas embroideries too.

MamaT said...

I love that little table topper. Let me know when there is another exchange like that. I'd love to participate. Also like the bright colors in the yellow brick road.

Deb said...

Hi Carrie, I wash my quilts when I have finished them, I love the feel and look that they have afterwards. Of course they always need a jolly good press!!
So lovely to see how you have used the Christmas in July goodies, it was an absolute pleasure to do them for you. I must admit I had put out all of our decorations and thought I was finished and then I found where I had put my swap items and now the lounge area looks really christmasy, its great.
big hugs
Deb

Browndirtcottage said...

Antique-ing and thrift store
shopping..ooooo...it's the thrill
of the hunt!!! That is a GREAT
little potholder too!!
What a great surprise for your
daughter....I just love a good
surprise!!

Robin said...

You always make such great finds. That little pot holder is so cute, and I love the jars.

The quilt is so bright and lovely! A finished project is definitely a wonderful gift. She is going to love it!

Allie said...

Congrats to Lynn!!!! Oh Carrie I love the potholder with trees - I have a few from antique stores and my grandmother, who used to crochet these, but never seen one like that!
Your jars are great - I can picture them filled with buttons!
Your daughter's quilt is lovely - how nice of you to quilt and bind it for her! Washing it after it's done is my favorite part, it means it's completely snuggle-ready.
The things Deb made are so pretty - love that topper especially. She does really nice work!

Nanette Merrill said...

Lynn is such a deserving gal. Good for her! I'm so happy for her.

Beth Karese said...

What a great gift for your daughter! Your stitcheries from Deb are beautiful... all that satin stitching, oh my! (That stitch intimidates me.) I had to take a look at the other item you got from Deb (and I wonder why it takes me so long to read blogs, lol). Another beauty. I, too, love watching birds. We put up feeders a couple years ago and it's been neat to watch them.