Sunday, January 24, 2010

Slow and Steady

I am taking things very slow and steady since my surgery. Today I feel so well that I have to remind my self that I just had surgery two weeks ago. You all have overwhelmed me with all your care and well wishes. It is really so special to know that so many of you stopped by to wish me well even though we have never met in person. Thank you all so very much. You have blessed me greatly.
I did finally get up to my sewing room and made one more string block. The other day I went over to Kaaren's blog and read about her sewing time with strings. As I was sitting there sewing I was thinking the same things that Kaaren was thinking. Sewing a string quilt is fun, easy, and stress free. As I sit there at my machine picking out fabrics from the scrap bag I also take a walk down memory lane thinking about what project that piece of fabric was used in last.

Making a string quilt is fast and easy because you don't have to cut your strips if don't want to especially if you have a bigger scrap. Just take a snip with your scissors the width you want and tear. Your string quilt can also be a leader and ender to another quilt that you might be working on at the same time. In no time you will have a block done.
Here is my last international siggie block. I have decided not to do the swap this year and will try to make a quilt with the blocks I do have. It has been fun getting so many blocks from lots of different countries.

With Passion,
Carrie P.

A kind word is like a spring day. ---Russian Proverb

28 comments:

Marie said...

Glad you are feeling better. I have thought of you often over the last few days. Friends are important after any kind of surgery.

FlourishingPalms said...

I hope you're completely yourself again soon. That string star block is wonderful! I am a fan of stringing too. Something to do without too much thinking...great for sewing time with friends, so chatter can flow freely.

Kaaren said...

I'm so happy that you're convalesence is coming along so well, Carrie. You'll be out running in no time...right?

Love your star string block. Now that's a beauty!

Jocelyn said...

Glad to hear that you are feeling better. Take care and don't overdo!

Judy C said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better, but don't rush yourself.
Take the healing process slow, and enjoy those moments when you feel well enough to sit and sew, lovely sting block you made

Allie said...

Carrie I'm SO glad to hear you're doing so well! Just make sure to keep taking it easy, ok?
Your string block is great, I still have to try that. I keep giving my scraps away though, lol.

I really love that siggie block, that's going to be a wonderful quilt!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah...a post from you today!! I've been thinking of you and am glad to see your mending and stitching!!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

I am so happy you are doing well, that is what they say, slow and steady wins the race. Love you block!!

Miriam said...

I'm glad you are feeling well enough to sew again, Carrie.
I hope your recovery continues to be smooth.
The block looks great. :)

Janet said...

It sounds like you are trying to talk everyone into making string quilts :0) I'm so glad you're feeling better. Your stings are looking great!

Fiber Babble said...

It's so nice to see you posting again - and wonderful to hear that you're recovering so well!

String quilts are beautiful and you're right, a trip down memory lane while you're putting them together. I think that makes them even more special. :-)

Janet said...

So good to hear that you are improving so well. I love the spiderweb block, just one of my favourites.

Betsy said...

Carrie I like your string quilt. I am glad you are feeling good enough to sew. Enjoy the time.

Abby and Stephanie said...

I'll be you're happy to be able to do some sewing. Glad you're feeling up to it. I think I spy a spiderweb in the making. Love it.

KaHolly said...

Continue feeling betterer and betterer! In no time at all you'll be back to your old self, and posting daily! Keeping good thoughts, karen

Cindy said...

Mending - both YOU and at the machine.

Stitching up - both YOU and at the machine.

Sewing - ah - just you at the machine....LOL

Keep stringing - I'm loving what I see.

Karen said...

I like this string block. I don't think I've every seen one with a star center. How did you do that? I haven't tried to make a string quilt yet. Although I should! I have plenty of scraps to so one! :o)

Rose Marie said...

Glad to hear that you are recovering well and pottering around in your sewing room!

I am bowing out of the siggy swap too as I think there are enough blocks received to do a good size quilt. You are so right, it sure was a lot of fun getting those blocks from around the world and meeting new people.

Judy Hartman said...

Hi Carrie,
May I say that the your blog banner is truly beautiful. What beautiful work you do!
I loved reading your take on doing string quilts. I am not much of a quilter, but may try one after reading
what you wrote. I certainly have plenty of scraps!
I sincerely hope that you are feeling better. I had that surgery years ago and the healing takes time.
Be well,
Judy

Kim D. said...

Lovely string block Carrie. I'm glad you're feeling better and getting lots of sewing done. I hope your arm is feeling better also. Take it easy and it won't be long and you'll have a string quilt top to show us.

Danielle said...

So happy to hear you are up for sewing and feeling a little better! Love your Spiderweb block, that one is on my 'to do' list of quilts.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Glad to hear you are taking it easy Carrie. A few string blocks every now and then is just right!

Marj said...

Glad that you are feeling better. I think string quilts are a good way to get back into the swing of things.

Days and colors said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better and able to sew a little. Your spider Web block looks great, that is my favorite for "no strings attached challege", but I haven't started yet.Thinking of you, take care.

Nanette Merrill said...

I'm glad you are feeling better, slowly. Don't rush recovery. I think you are so right about strings. We feel we are doing something useful with those expensive scraps. Because we paid good money for the whole yard! And it is stress free. You don't have to measure or worry about following something. Nice for a change. Get well Carrie.

mbroider said...

I see even you had a rough time. Take care, working iwth strings probably is the right thing for now!!

The top pic in this post is so good to the eye:)

Karen said...

I hope you are feeling better each day. You must be doing okay to be able to sew. It is tempting for me to play with some strings. I have strips cut but they are for a log cabin quilt.

Robin said...

That's awesome that you're already feeling well enough to hang out at the machine some! And such a beautiful block, too. I think I must be a bad quilter sometimes, because I've never been much of a scrap-keeper. But seeing all these lovely string blocks lately is kind of making me rethink my scrap position. :)