Monday, September 20, 2010

GO Cutter

I finally had to time to try out my new GO! Cutter from AccuQuilt. Before I tried it myself I watched many of the videos on their site and took into account what other bloggers had said about using the cutter. I can say that the videos were very helpful to me. If you own a cutter you should check them out. One of the things that AccuQuilt recommends is outlining the pattern on the cutter which I did. The circles were pretty hard to see so outlining them did help.
Next I grabbed some fabric. I had read that you should put the fabric in along the length wise grain which I did. I am not sure it matters with making circles.

This is what the mat looked like after the first cut. AccuQuilt recommends rotating the mat to get more wear out of it.
Here are my perfect circles.
Next I layered four charm squares on the biggest circle. The outline really helped in this circumstance so that I could get the charms placed just right.
Here they are. Perfect circles.
I have an extra small, small, and large yo yo makers by Clover. The two circles cut from the GO! fit the two little ones perfectly. Clover makes an extra large maker so it would probably work perfectly for the large circle.
Instead I just trimmed the extra fabric off the large circle. I do like these yo yo makers a lot just because I have problems with turning the fabric over as I am making the running stitch. With the Clover yo yo makers, no worries.
Cute little yo yos. I can say that I am very pleased with the AccuQuilt GO cutter. I think that when it comes to cutting odd shapes this is the way to GO. I have the hexagon mat and the 2 1/2" strip cutter which I look forward to also trying out. Thanks AccuQuilt!

With Passion,
Carrie P.

25 comments:

Kim D. said...

Good review Carrie! Thanks for sharing, your yo yo's are so cute.

Teresa Rawson said...

Pretty slick! Thanks for the demo! I'm such an old dog when it comes to "new tricks" so it is good to see what all the hub bub is all about. It looks very useful for circles, as I'm sure it would be for hexies...both of which are labor intensive when cutting out. Hmmm...food for thought...

After volunteering at the elementary school and using the Ellison machine on construction paper, I'm curious how the mat holds up and how long the dies stay sharp. Every now and then, I would have a situation where things weren't working very well...not sure if that was due to the age/condition of the mat, the die, or both.

Still curious (and hopeful!),
Teresa :o)

Kaaren said...

You GO! girl!

Great and thorough post, Carrie.

Abby and Stephanie said...

Great circles for yo yos! I love those clover yo yo makers.

Shakerwood said...

What a great idea.....still waiting on this end.....

Darlene said...

Wonderful review, Carrie. I can see many benefits to having a GO! to cut template type pieces - circles, apple core, dresden, etc.

Have fun!

Yvette said...

Look at you GO. Very cute!!

grammie g said...

Hi Carrie..Wow it looks like your having a good time with your new toy. : }
That looks like it could make it alot easier!!
I have made yoyo's before and it is a little tricky to get to come out well!!
Have fun!!

Lynn said...

perfect circles!! Must resist urge to buy go (well at least until birthday or christmas)

KaHolly said...

Glad you are having fun with your GO! I must look into purchasing some of those yo-yo makers.

Toni said...

OOO NOW I want one!! I would use it for yo-yos and hexagons...do they have a die for that? Mmmm...I really now am considering this.

Anonymous said...

Love seeing your GO tutorial!!

Linda said...

hi carrie, great job, well done. if you work with wool, i can see a cute pennie rug in the making.

Judy Hartman said...

Great tools - I'm sure you'll create some wonderful pieces with them!!

Crispy said...

It sounds like you are having a wonderful time with you new toy :0)

Crispy

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Circles are so hard to cut, with the "go" they look like a snap. Love the yo yo's!! have fun!

Cindy said...

I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed making circles....LOL..not that's not something you hear everyday....LOL

You do sound happy, seriously. And I'm happy for you too.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Wow - perfect circles! Go Carrie!

Thearica said...

The odd shapes is what I would purchase one of these for...I hate cutting circles and this makes it easy peasy.

Congrats on your win! Enjoy!

onlymehere said...

The more I learn about the GO! it seems the more it's really only good for applique and things like these yo yos. It seems people don't like it for cutting strips and squares. If you try those sometime be sure and let us know. The cost still keeps me from getting one as the biggest issue.

Miriam said...

Great review Carrie. I can't wait to hear how you GO! with the hexagon and strip cutter.

Cute yoyos!

StitchinByTheLake said...

I went to a LQS Saturday and was hoping to see a demonstration but the owner hadn't used it enough to feel comfortable doing that. She had just gotten them in a few days before. That's a big investment so before I consider buying one I want to really know that I can use it. blessings, marlene

Stina Blomgren said...

Ahhh... splendid... to use the Go to make Yoyo ´s... perfect...O))

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Great review, Carrie! I don't know how often I would use one but for circles and curves and such I can definitely see the value in having a tool like this, it has it's place.

Robin said...

Pretty snazzy! It sure looks like it makes cutting circles a far simpler task than the usual ways. Congrats on your nifty new toy! :)