Sunday, October 3, 2010

Block Books

On my last post I had shown some blocks that I had made for the exchange that I am participating in this year. I just thought I would share some of the books that I used to get my ideas from.
I have two of these books written by Judy which I really like because as you can see from the inside page you can make the block in different sizes. All the measurements are in the book along with a diagram of how to put the block together.

Here is another book that I like to use when I need nine inch blocks.
This block is pretty good with directions for different size blocks also.

These books have come in very handy when I have participated in block exchanges. Do you have a favorite book that gives instructions for different size blocks you like to use? If so share it in your comment so others can see what you like.

With Passion,
Carrie P.

Delicious Autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the Earth seeking the successive Autumns. George Eliot

22 comments:

Jocelyn said...

I have the Block Party book, which I really like.

Anonymous said...

I have the first book and love it for block exchanges!!

Vivian said...

I have both of the Judy Hopkins books and have used them for exchanges. They're a great source no matter what size blocks I need.

My favorite place online for blocks is Marcia Hohn's site for free blocks, www.quilterscache.com. She has the blocks sorted by sizes, pieced or paperpieced or appliqued. I can spend hours wandering around that site.

Abby and Stephanie said...

My Around the Block book has been used so much I should get the spiral binding because the pages are about to fall out. Those are all great books to have in a quilter's library.

StitchinByTheLake said...

I have both of those first two books Carrie - great ones. blessings, marlene

Jeanette said...

I have all 3 of Judy Hopkins books & they are great. So handy when you need different sizes & it's all there in front of you.

FlourishingPalms said...

Those "Around the Block" books by Judy Hopkins are the best! I have both of them too, and find they're a great resource when swapping, or needing something special - by block name - for someone else. Good stuff.

Jo said...

I have both of the first two books...love them. They will be in my "library" forever.

Allie said...

Well I was just thinking today that I should email you, to see if you're ok - and here you are posting. I used to have some block books, but I never tried anything in them so I gave them away. Didn't have any of those, though.
When I'm looking up a pattern, I go to www.quilterscache.com. She has tons and tons of free patterns.
How are you feeling, Carrie?

Simone de Klerk said...

Now those are the right books, showing blocks with different size instructions!
The book I have only shows one size.
What a beautiful quote!

Janet said...

I have the first two books which are excellent and then I got Blockbase which is the first place I look.

Crispy said...

It's great when books will give you more than one size for the blocks. I have Electric Quilt so I can print off any size block I want, thus I have no block books at all.

Crispy

Kim Brackett said...

Those are all wonderful books and such great resources. Thanks so much for sharing.

LollyChops said...

I am gonna have to tell my mom about these books! I think she would really love them!

HUGS Carrie!!!!!

Kim D. said...

I love those block books by Judy Hopkins and have used them a lot over the years. I think that was the first book I bought.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Hmmm, I had to think about this question. I do not use books, I get my ideas from other quilts or blocks I see. I also use Marcia Hohn's site for free blocks, www.quilterscache.com I love to paper piece so I seach on-line and etsy for patterns. Fun question!

KaHolly said...

Three great books!

Shakerwood said...

I always considered these books to be a must in each quilter's library. Very good choices to have!

One of my favorite books is by Cheri Payne called 301 Country Christmas Quilt Blocks. While they aren't traditional blocks, it is a must for everyone that likes primitive quilts! I wouldn't do without that one.

Karen said...

I have the Block Party book, it's a good one!

Pat said...

I also have all 3 of the Around the Block books and they are well used. You can get 1 big book now that combines the earlier 3.
Just came back from Alaska where I took a workshop with Marsha McCloskey & we did 3 blocks out of her Block Party Book for the class...her methods and accuracy are right on the button!
Can't imagine being without any of these publications!

Cindy said...

Thank you Carrie. I am actually writing down the titles and authors to these block books to keep in my purse to find them..probably on Amazon. I'd like to "widen" my quilt making into "my own creations" rather than always following someone's em pattern for a quilt.

Blessings.

Robin said...

That's really neat that those books include instructions for various sizes. What great resources. Thanks for sharing!