
Last Wednesday I went to my applique group. Here you can see we have been working on the very sweet bunny block. Check out the little bees on the top two blocks. I am going to add some bees to my blocks eventually.

I wanted to share some information about a product I am using for some of my applique pieces. When the piece is a light colored fabric sometimes the background will show through which it did on the bunny fabric. So what I did was use a product called "Form Flex." It comes on a bolt just like regular fabrics and you buy it by the yard. I got mine at my local quilt shop. It is a loose weave white fabric with an iron-on-adhesive on the back. As you can see I cut out the same shape in reverse and ironed it onto my applique fabric. Then I flip it over and hand applique it to the background fabric. I have also used this on some of the yellow fabrics. You could also cut the background fabric out from behind the bunny but I decided to use this product instead.
Edit: there have been a few comments about adding weight to the applique piece. Yes it is a little thicker but the form flex is very light weight so I don't think it adds to0 much weight. I have used batting which is really so much thicker. The form flex is so much easier to work with than batting.
22 comments:
Could I use the flex form for all my hand-turn applique? Does it add a lot of weight to each piece? Let us know how you like it!
Very cute bunnies. It's certainly bunny season at my house--the live kind. You always share such great information.
Thanks for the great tip. Your bunny block is so sweet!
It reminds me a bit of way back when we used to use dryer sheets to back our applique. ;)
I'd also like to know how much weight it adds to each piece. It does look like an interesting alternative to cutting the background away.
Thanks for sharing the info with us Carrie. I love bunnies and yours are adorable. I keep seeing all these beautiful projects on blogs and want to make them all.
I wish! :^)
Very sweet...very lovely. Your work is always beautiful.
LOVE the white bunny!
Cute ! Cute ! Cute!!!! This is the block I fell in love with.... I can't wait till I make it...
Carrie I'm so glad you told us about this product - I've had that problem on more than one occasion and it's so disappointing to be half way through a project and have that happen. I'll definitely be looking for it at my next visit to the quilt shop. blessings, marlene
So I'm assuming that you cut the formflex stuff a little smaller than your applique piece? Sounds very interesting and your block, once again, is just so beautiful!
That's my favorite block!!
Thank you for sharing this tip!
Such cute blocks, I love your fussy cut circles :0) Ok, you know I was going to ask, how would this product be for hand quilting through?
Crispy
Oh my gosh I just love the bunnies! Sweet!
xx, shell
Good thing to know. Thanks for the info.
Thanks Carrie for the new information, I've not heard of this. I had to line the back of my yellow on the block I just posted today. I love options. I'll look for this product.
Thank you for the bunny show!
Since I am more than a beginner in appliqué, do you put the side of the Form Flex the the background and then appliqué? Interesting and does seem to make it easier. Can you use this technique with any figure you want to appliqué?
You can guess this my favorite block - LOL Very sweet indeed.
Carrie,
I think your block is the prettiest! Thanks for the mention of form flex, wouldn't have known about it. So, does this work like freezer paper except it stays in the applique?
Love this block.
Adorable bunnies!
I'll definitely keep an eye out for the form flex, to give it the touch test and be able to fix in my mind it's future usefulness!
Happy bunnies! I love the little added bees. I may have to add some to my blocks too. Thanks for the tip about the Form Flex-- I've had some struggles with light fabrics and have not yet found a successful way to deal with show-through. I'm definitely going to give this product a try!
Post a Comment