Monday, November 28, 2011

Country Girl

Yes, there is no place like home but it is fun to visit other places. This country girl went to the big city. My oldest son and his wife live in the DC area. They both work in retail so they did not get much of a holiday vacation. They invited my husband and me to come visit them this Thanksgiving. This first photo is the highway as we got into the area. On the left hand side there were three accidents. Our side of the road was good but people slowed down to see what was going on over on the other side of median which slowed traffic way down.
We went straight to where my son works and got the key to his apartment. Before we went to the apartment we went into a Barnes and Noble bookstore. This is the view from the second story.
This is a window of the store that my DIL decorated which is next door to the bookstore.

My son had Friday off so he took us down to the waterfront of Old Town. It was very crowded with shoppers. Some of the storefronts had some really pretty decorations outside of their shops. The sidewalks were all made of bricks.
On Saturday my husband and I went to Annapolis, Maryland. I can now say that I have visited that state. We walked the Main Street which was also packed with shoppers. It was a warm sunny day.
I did find a quilt shop in Annapolis called Cottonseed Glory. As you can see they had a ton of fabric.
I didn't buy much fabric. I did but these fat quarters from a line called New London by Faye Burgos for Marcus Brothers. I took some handwork with me to work on. I got a little bit more appliqued on my Hop To It block.
Today was spent washing clothes, getting some groceries, and running other errands. I also went to check out my veggies. They are looking good. I will be picking all the kale in the left hand picture for dinner tomorrow. I am so excited to see how everything is growing. We are going to get some cold weather this week so those veggies are going to be nice and cozy in their little hoop houses.
This country girl is glad to be "home sweet home" from the city. I have nothing scheduled on my calendar this week so I am planning to get some sewing done. I will share later.
Now it is time to start the Christmas planning. I might pull out some decorations tomorrow too.

With Passion,
Carrie P.

19 comments:

Karen said...

A lovely trip, but you are right, there is no place like home!

Sharon said...

It sounds like you had a great time visiting with your son and DIL. I haven't been to DC, but my husband has and he told me the traffic is always bad there. He said it is worse than Atlanta and THAT's hard to imagine. LOL! When you go on a trip, it sure makes you appreciate home even more. :)

Browndirtcottage said...

Yes...what a wonderful trip. I too like to 'GO SEE' and travel but I LOVE home best and most of all!!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful to have a little getaway for the holiday. Yes..back to the reality of laundry and grocery shopping..always fun too! NOT!

Lynn said...

Sounds like a fun trip, I heard the traffic coming back from MD./DC was bad. Glad I moved from that area 25 years ago! I love Annapolis, its a fun place to visit.

Jocelyn said...

What a very nice trip. And it looks like the weather cooperated too. My children are decorating the house, so it's Christmas here we come :-)

Pat said...

Oh that traffic...growing up in DC/Northern Virginia I never thought twice about driving...couldn't handle it now though! And that is why we live in the Northwoods of Wisconsin...but I sure do miss all the wonderful little unique shops and walking on brick. So much history.

Spending time with family is good no matter where.

Allie said...

I drive in traffic like that every day! Yuck. Looks like a really fun trip - love to see those brick sidewalks! The quilt shop looks great, love the fabric you got.

Your veggies look so happy! We have pouring rain right now, with flood warnings, and by Wednesday we'll be getting the first measurable snow of the season. No veggies here!

Abby and Stephanie said...

DC is scary crowded! More so now than when I lived close by nearly 30 years ago. I'm a small town girl and that's the way I like it. Your veggies are like little presents.

Kaaren said...

Isn't the driving in DC something else? No matter what time of day or night there are always traffic jams and of course accidents!

Love your little hoop houses. There's nothing like fresh veggies.

Shakerwood said...

Remember, the big city used to be the country at one time! LOL

I've been to Annapolis many times and never tire of it. You need to go back in the summer when it is just as crowded but all the sailboats are out and the first year plebes at the Naval Academy are getting "adjusted" to their new lives.

Doris said...

Wow, you saw some very pretty parts of D.C.! Been there many times with friends that live in the burbs. Also, been to Annapolis to see the Naval Academy and harbor area... wouldn't want to live there, but it is always fun to visit!

Rita said...

I'm glad you got to visit Cottonseed Glory, as it's a cute shop. I live about 2 1/2 hours from D.C. We love to visit but there is always so much traffic.

Candace said...

What a nice trip, Carrie - but I'm with you - country girl at heart and happy to be here! I just can't believe how well your hoop houses are doing - wait, yes I can! Having fresh picked veggies this time of year is such a treat!
Cheers!

M and M plus 3 said...

I so know what you mean. We were out for TG'ing as well, it's always good to come back home though. Looks like a nice place to visit.

Nane said...

I'm with you...love to visit the big city but would rather live in the country.

Ivory Spring said...

Carrie,

Looks like your daughter-in-law is very artistic too!

I love Old Town. We love to go walking there. :)

I have been to Annapolis, but that was more than 15 years ago. It's on our list for next year.

Glad you made it back safely. Should have visited your blog before writing that email. :)

Michele said...

Sounds like you had a nice trip! I have been to Annapolis many times, but not lately. I didn't know there was a quilt store!

Robin said...

It can sure be nice to get away sometimes-- just a little change of scenery. Looks like you had a nice trip! :)