I thought today I would show you a few photos of my garden that I have been working in. This is what I grew over the winter in my hoop houses.
Here are some Brussel sprouts which are finally taking off. I have never seen the real plant before so this will be fun to watch the little sprouts grow.Here is some cabbage. Since this photo we have eaten one of them for dinner. We have also eaten all the lettuce and spinach.
Here is another bed with Cilantro which is now getting ready to bolt because of warm weather. There is also Kale which we have been eating through the winter. Way in the back is just weeds. I will not let that happen again because they have a zillion roots and they were holding onto all my good soil as I pulled them out. Now that spot is ready to plant something good in it.
Here are five more beds which I have planted some seeds in and some are coming up. I will show them later.
Because we get our water from a well which is very precious I bought this rain barrel a few years ago to water the plants. It has come in pretty handy when the rain has been scarce and things are looking dry. It seems to rain just in time too when the rain barrel is getting low. I purchased this rain barrel from Whole Foods.
This is our newest rain barrel we bought from Lowes Hardware. It is made by Fiskars. It came with a diverter kit. It is the black stuff attached to the gutter and rain barrel on the right. When the rain barrel is full the rain will go back down the gutter. The black barrel has the hose at top which lets out the excess water. I place the hose in different parts of the yard so the plants will get more of the excess water.
The only thing I don't like about this barrel is that it holds too much water below the spigot which won't get used unless I take the lid off and use a bucket. I will do this if I really need some water for my garden. You can see the spigot is much lower on the black barrel. The diverter kit is perfect for this area because there are no plants on this side of the garage.It is good exercise carrying two watering cans up to the garden a couple times. Hopefully I won't have to do it too often. lol
With Passion,
Carrie P.
12 comments:
I just had a neighbor disc up a big patch for a newly expanded garden this year. I know I will have to fight the grass for a few years, but looking forwarding to fresh vegetables this summer! The rain barrels are a great idea!
Looks like a lot of work and lots of good recipes!
Great, using those rain barrels!
I'm impressed by your garden. Fresh Brussel sprouts, my favorite! My husband put together a rain barrel, not very pretty, put it does the trick.
We've had so much rain the past week.
Is your part of the state getting some too?
This is helpful. I have a rain barrel, but needed to raise it up so the H 2O flow can be gravity fed. I was sure if cinder blocks would work... I noted one of yours is sitting on blocks. I think I'll try to get mine set up this weekend. Thanks for insoiration! Good luck with your garden! It looks great! Lettuce is one of my favorite crops... So beautiful in lovely colors!
Wow, you are a serious gardener. I miss my garden (we live in a 3rd floor condo, currently).
BTW, I don't know that I ever mentioned how much I love your blog header and design... lovely!
I love your beds bordered with the felled tree trunks, Carrie - rustic and beautiful! You'll be surprised at how much less time you'll spend in the grocery store soon! Happy Growing!
Cheers!
Like handmade things are best. Homegrown is tastier.
Great ideas!! Home grown tastes so good.
Big water tanks that harvest rainwater from the roof are really common in Australia. Local water authorities were even encouraging city dwellers to install tanks and offering cash rebates during the worst of our droughts 2 years ago. A small pump installed in the tank will fix the low pressure of gravity feed, but elevating the tank so you can get a bucket under the tap helps the back out too.
There's nothing as good as harvesting your own crops. I love the hoop gardens, that would keep the pests out.
Why in the world didn't they put the spigot lower? Oh well, exercise never hurts, does it?
So glad to see someone using rain barrels!! I used to know an old man in Maine who kept cow manure in the bottom of his rain barrel. When he would use the water, it was already fertilized!!
I'm so jealous of your fabulous winter produce! Sigh... why did we choose a house with no yard?
Post a Comment