Tuesday, August 7, 2012

One girl's trash...

is another girl's treasure. I am a member of a Modern quilt guild. We had a zip lock bag scrap fabric exchange. You fill up a gallon bag with all the scraps you can. When I got home I opened up my bag to all kinds of fabric treasures. One of the things that was in it was a bunch of nine patch blocks already made. I made more 9 patch blocks with some of the matching scraps in the bag. Then I cut each nine patch block down the center horizontally and vertically to get the disappearing nine patch blocks. I sewed them in rows along with some cute yellow bubble fabric in between those rows to get this baby quilt.
There was also these squares cut out which I put together to make another baby quilt.
I made these to donate for preemie babies in our hospital. The other guild I am in does this as their charity project. The guild donates the batting to those who make the quilts. This coming Monday I will get some batting, layer them and practice my free motion quilting. I even have the binding made.
The guild also makes nap blankets to donate to school children. They are just made using two yards of fabric, front and back. So I made four of those so that four little children will have something to lay on when they take their nap.
I was thrilled when I saw those scraps that would make some cute preemie quilts.
You just never know what you will find in someone else scrap bag!

23 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

Perfect. Lucky little ones too.

Lynette said...

I really love what you did with the 9-patches. Neat effect.

Lucky Duck Dreams said...

They look awesome Carrie! I should do that with my scraps!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

What fun scraps! I love what you turned them into and so will the little ones.

The Quilted Finish said...

Love it! So much fun to make something pretty out of someone elses scraps!

Mommarock said...

I've been in my quilt/sewing room all day cleaning and organizing fabric. Now some of it I had to wonder.. "What was I thinking when I bought this!" But then again, I thought that at one time I thought it was beautiful and fabulous, and somehow if I put it with the right other fabric, perhaps it could become a beautiful quilt. It could be a wonderful challenge.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Those are some great projects Carrie and you did an awesome job making them cute too!

Lynn said...

So much fun making quilts for little people, to donate. Yours turned out super cute!!

marina said...

what great makes with your scrap bag!
Love your collage of summer foods in your previous post. Yum!

sewyouquilt2 said...

great job taking something that was not loved anymore and turning it into great quilts for lucky little ones. You are like the scrap fairy working magic on those forgotten blocks!

SewWhatsNew said...

Your treasures are so beautiful. I love to make quilts for children too. Enjoy seeing yours and getting more ideas. thanks.

Brandie said...

You sure did make that trash look good!

Gisele Bourdon said...

J'ai fondé une guilde ici, nous sommes 5 et nous avons fait et nous en avons d'autres a faire pour une maison ici de femmes battus.
Qui sont à cette maison avec leur bébé.
Bravo elles sont très jolies!!! vos courtepointes.
Gisèle du Québec

Nane said...

Way to go Carrie......these will be treasured by some little ones I know.

~Kris~ said...

Love the bicycle fabric. Very cute. What a feel good experience.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Swaps like that would be fun! I love getting someone else's scraps to play with.

Melissa said...

I love the quilts - they are going to be treasured for a very long time!!!

Candace said...

Isn't it great when a scrap bag holds such treasures! There are some very lucky babies out there!
Cheers!

Michele said...

Scraps are always good! You did a beautiful job with them :-)

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful work Carrie! Sometimes it is fun to have the challenge of working with different blocks/fabrics and making them into something else!

Purple Pam said...

I love scrap swaps! It is fun to see what surprises you receive. It looks like your bag was a winner for sure.

Ivory Spring said...

Those definitely look like treasures to me, not scraps. :)

Lynne said...

Well done you! A great result from someone else's "trash"!