Friday, October 26, 2012

Bonus Free Motion Quilting Challenge

SewCalGal had a bonus free motion tutorial in August by Susan Brubaker Knapp. Susan lives in North Carolina. She visited our guild several years ago. She is very talented and has written many books and patterns. The quilt with the pink border in my header is one of her patterns.

Let me tell you about this challenge. Susan wrote, " Go outside or inside your house and shoot everything you see with a strong obvious texture or pattern. Try to disengage your brain, don't think about what would be pretty or interesting. Don't overthink. Just shoot, shoot, shoot."

Here are some of the photos I took outside my house. It was fun just going around the yard taking photos of whatever caught my eye.
I picked one of the photos, traced the printed photo on tracing paper, then traced it onto my fabric. I quilted this in variegated thread and did lots and lots of circles. Here is my finished project.
 Here is the photo I decided to use. This is a circle of iron that once used to be the base of a glass table. It was my son's table and the glass got broke in a move. He was going to throw the iron part away and we told him we would take it. We now use it as the circle of our outdoor fire pit.
It was a fun challenge and I would like to try more of this type of quilting.
Here is another fun fall photo. Love those Carolina skies.

With Passion,
Carrie P.

14 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

Interesting challenge. Love how you're using the old iron as part of your fire pit. Great quilting subject.

Unknown said...

That's neat:)

Heather said...

What a great use of a used item. That photo caught my eye and the quilting looks great.

Brandie said...

There is just no stopping you! You've created another work of art.

Robin said...

Looking at your collage, that was the picture that caught my eye the most-- it is cool to see it in quilted form! And I'm impressed at how you repurposed that table base... ingenious!

Candace said...

Since you began the challenge, Carrie, I've noticed your eye is really getting "trained" for this! Your circles are rounder and you've really come to have an incredible sense of design! I think you're well on your way to a whole new world of quilting!
Cheers!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Love the rusted iron design and how you turned it into quilted texture! Great work.

Lynne said...

Fabulous work! What a great concept!

Barb Neiwert said...

That's wonderful! I really like it. Makes us look at the world around us in a whole different light, eh?

Loris said...

What a great idea to spark creativity. Your piece is awesome! You have really engaged this skill.

Paige said...

What a great challenge! Your quilting looks great! www.paperstarfish.prettyposies.com

Raewyn said...

Love it!! I haven't started thinking about this tutorial yet, but I am inspired after seeing yours.

Simone de Klerk said...

Okay, Carrie, that quilting worked our perfectly. Really love the picture you chose for it. Great insight view!

Quilting Babcia said...

Great photo and super design idea. Well done Carrie!