Saturday, August 3, 2013

Day Trip

Mr. P. and I decided that we needed to take a day trip since we have been so busy this summer. Before I share I wanted to let you know that those of you who are participating in Nothing But UFOs be sure to scroll down to see what you could win if you meet one of your goals.

Back to our trip. The weather was supposed to be drier and cooler in the mountains so we decided to take a trip to Boone and Blowing Rock, North Carolina. 
 On our way up to the mountains we stopped at this relatively new rest stop. Look at the quilt that
 was hanging in the visitor center. I love theses kinds of quilts but I know I will never make one so I will just admire those that do.
 We did a little internet searching for a restaurant in the town of Boone. We decided to stop at this one because they serve some fresh local foods.
 We listened to the waiter tell us the specials and the soups for the day. I decided on the tomato basil soup and Mr. P. got a stew. My soup was so good and so was the cornbread they served with it.
 I ordered a sandwich made of homemade sharp cheddar pimento cheese on grilled sourdough. Mr. P. order the special which was a Mackerel fish sandwich. They served homemade potato chips and homemade bread and butter pickled tomatoes. It was all delicious. We brought a small ice chest which was full of water bottles because we planned to go hiking. I was glad we brought it because I could only eat half of the sandwich. We ended up sharing the rest of my lunch later at a park.
 We drove up to the Blue Ridge Parkway so that we could hike around the trail that surrounds Julian Price lake. The temperature was 71* but still pretty humid.
 As we hiked around the 2.3 mile trail I spotted these butterflies.
 Here was an open spot which viewed a mountain called Grandfather mountain.

 Since we have had so much rain in our state the trail was really muddy most of the hike. Very few places were in the sun so the trail did not dry out. Because the trail was so muddy it took us a lot longer to get around the lake. One hour and thirty-five minutes to hike 2.3 miles. At one spot we had to take our shoes off to cross where a stream came into the lake. I was glad to have my hiking boots and a walking stick to help me through the tough places. We were determined to make it around the lake.
 Here is another stream that is getting close to where we started.
 After we finished our hike we were pretty hot so we drove back to Julian Price park. We shared the rest of my lunch while we sat in the shade of the trees. We had brought chairs because we hoped to be able to just sit and enjoy the great outdoors. And we did.
 After some time resting we decided to drive back into a town called Blowing Rock to get some ice
cream. As the day progressed the humidity dropped and the weather was delightful. I am so looking forward to Autumn. Here is a view from one of the lookouts on the Blue Ridge Parkway on our way home. Oh! do we have to go home?

 Now for the giveaway for those of you working on UFOs this month. I have a yard of Simplicity by Three Sisters, a book called Alphabet Garden by Nancy Halvorson and
a white tea towel that you might want to decorate with your initial, some rickrack, ruffles, or some other trim. Good luck with your goals for August and don't forget to link up on the previous post.
With Passion,
Carrie P.

28 comments:

Allie said...

Carrie, that looks like a fabulous trip. I LOVE driving the Blue Ridge Parkway, the scenery is so gorgeous! What a great idea to take your chairs.

KaHolly said...

What a delicious day and a great way to beat the heat!! Loved the views and the beaver wood, and that yummy lunch has made me very hungry all of a sudden.

WoolenSails said...

That is a beautiful place to visit and gorgeous views in the mountains. No entry, just popping in to say hi.

Debbie

gpc said...

What a beautiful way to spend the day, and always better with someone you love. :)

Carla said...

Aren't day trips just the best? What a lovely spot and I don't think I will be making one of those quilts either : )

sunny said...

THanks for the scenic tour. We've been to the top of Grandfather Mountain, and I've had ice cream in Blowing Rock. We'll have to try out the trail around the lake next time.

Darlene said...

A wonderful day trip. I'm glad you shared with us. I'd enjoy doing something similar.

Sheila said...

Really sounds like a perfect day and the scenery is sure gorgeous . Thanks for taking us along :-)

Candace said...

What a wonderful day, Carrie! Exactly what Mr. Squash and I would have done. We've been to Boone and a few miles up the Blue Ridge Parkway while staying in the area quite a few years back. I go there again in a heartbeat!
Cheers!

Teresa in Music City said...

What a fun day trip! I lived in NC most of my adult life, and my son and his wife both graduated from Appalachian, so I visited the Boone area often. The Blue Ridge Parkway is simply one of my favorite places in the world!!!

That NYB quilt is amazing! I hope to make one of those one of these days :*)

marina said...

what a lovely day out and about.
good luck with your finishes. It will be lovely to see your baskets finished and your tree blocks coming together too.
happy sewing

StitchinByTheLake said...

Carrie I'm so envious of your day trip - we just said this week that it had beenso busy this summer we'd not been on a "just us" trip. Maybe a day trip is the answer! blessings, marlene

karen k said...

Looks like you & hubby had a lovely day. Love that area of the country. Good luck on completing all your projects. It's exciting to start a new one...oh, and complete one, too!

Astrid said...

Homemade food tastes the best. It looks so yummy. It really sounds like a perfect day out. Love the landscape, very beautiful!

Jo said...

Your photos are wonderful, thanks for taking us along! I enjoyed the Blue Ridge Parkway close to Asheville, it's a gorgeous trail. The NYB in the visitors center is beautiful. Perfect getaway!

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great day out!

Angie in SoCal said...

So enjoyed your trip!

Unknown said...

While reading about your trip, I felt as though I was right there with you. Your words and pictures reminded me of the North Carolina I so miss.Although I live now in my home state of Florida I have many warm memories of living in NC and seeing those very sights. Glad you enjoyed your day.

Lynn said...

OOOOH lucky you! I haven't been up there in a few years, after seeing your post, I need to go back. When it gets so hot here in the summer, I often am tempted. That lunch looks delicious. Kilwins for ice cream I bet!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Beautiful pictures. I have had the yen to wander lately. Alas with the schedules it is out of the question. Thanks for sharing the wonderful pictures though.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

That looks like a wonderful day... thanks for sharing it!

Dar said...

I would love to have been there hiking with you two. What lovely vistas you encountered. It's always a fun time when you can eat at a local restaurant and the food is homemade and delicious. Wish I lived closer to that area. It sounds heavenly. Thanks for sharing

Abby and Stephanie said...

I absolutely heart the mountains. I can't wait to live near them again. NC has some beauties. Mr. Creations and I hiked Chimney Rock. I felt like a mountain goat. Beautiful photos.

Jeanna said...

Oh Carrie, this is just the post I needed at the end of a long MONDAY! I'm behind on my reading...

Anyway, thank you for sharing, your pics are wonderful.

MamaT said...

Wow! That sounds like a great day! Tim and I drove up the parkway 2years ago and SO enjoyed it! I want to go again! Maybe next year.

Lynette said...

I love the Blueridge Parkway! We had the nicest time once driving all the way to Virginia from Georgia on it. The girls still remember the hundreds of deer they counted on that trip. :)

Judy said...

What a nice trip! Thanks for sharing the photos with us, it looks like a beautiful area. How neat is that to find a quilt hanging in the rest stop??
Enjoy your day,
Judy

Lynne said...

Sounds like a perfect day out to me!