Tuesday, September 17, 2013

DC

I haven't really stepped foot in my sewing room lately. The last few days my "feet" have been outside working in the yard and the garden. We have had delightful weather here in North Carolina. Fall is in the air.
I thought I would share a few photos from my trip to Virginia. After the wedding Mr. P. and I went to my #1 son and daughter-in-law's home near Washington DC. It had been a very long year since we had seen them. We only had a few days together but we enjoyed every minute. My son took us to the conservatory in downtown DC. It was the holiday so the crowds were minimal. Here are some of the photos I thought as quilters you would enjoy.



The next day my son and daughter-in-law took us on a boat taxi from Old Town, yes that is the name, to Georgetown. It was a fabulous day. Here is the Washington monument. It is being repaired after an earthquake that happened a couple years ago. There is scaffolding all around it.
Once in Georgetown we strolled the streets to check out the shops. Look close at this photo. Those are all sewing machines in the window. I think this was a clothing store but I can't remember.

My son insisted that we go visit the famous Georgetown cupcake shop. He ordered a dozen cupcakes. So many flavors and so yummy.
Unfortunately our time with them was so short and it was time to head back home. We stopped at a quilt shop on the way home. This store had lots of fabric too. They put all the fabric on short bolts. You could definitely get more fabric on shelves but I didn't care for it only because I couldn't see what line of fabric was on the bolt. One plus though was the fabric was $9.50 a yard.

This shop was call the Quiltery. It is in Fairfield, Virginia. As you can see I found some fabrics.
With Passion,
Carrie P.

20 comments:

Jeanna said...

Great pictures Carrie. Old Town? As in Alexandria? If so, fabulous place!

So glad you had an enjoyable time with your son and daughter-in-law. Those are special times indeed.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

It must be hard to not see your son for such a long time. I love visiting D.C. Always something new to see.

WoolenSails said...

Beautiful photos of your trip and a trip to a quilt store is always a plus.

Debbie

Lynn said...

I grew up in Maryland so I know that DC is a fun place to visit. Plus you worked some quilting related stops ( and cupcakes), good for you!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh what a fun time with your loved ones. There never seems to be enough time to spend with those we love. When I saw the picture with the sewing machines, I thought of the show Project Runway! Thanks for sharing your trip.

KaHolly said...

Glad you had such a nice visit. Some of these pictures are incredible!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Quilt inspiration everywhere! I wasn't aware there was a water taxi. How fun. Imagine the time it takes to redo the bolts into smaller ones.

Barb said...

What a fun trip. I haven't been to DC in so long, thanks for the sharing the photos.
the cupcakes and quilt shop look wonderful!

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Thank you for sharing the pictures. Out of all my travels I have never been to Washington, DC. I keep trying to convince DH we need a get a way soon.

Anna said...

I NEED to put this on my travel list...looks like a wonderful trip, especially the quilt store, lol

Sherrill said...

I saw a shop just like that in LA with all the sewing machines in the windows..must be their 'MO' as I've seen once someplace else also. So many machines just sitting, unused and unloved! LOL

Cathy said...

Sounds like a great trip. My stepson and his wife live just outside of DC. Now I know a quilt shop to go visit. Hugs

Candace said...

How wonderful that you got to see DC, Carrie! I have always wanted to go! I wonder if all those sewing machines used to be in an old sewing factory?! Love the "quilting" scenery! Why on earth would you put fabric on short bolts?! I'd love to know why they did that.
Cheers!

Allie said...

What fun places you go Carrie, and you always see the most interesting things! Love that store with the sewing machines!

Melissa said...

Looks like you had a wonderful visit. DC is such a beautiful place to visit.

Raewyn said...

Sounds like a wonderful visit but when visiting family, never long enough. Interesting photos - is the second one a painting? - it looks so much like an applique quilt. Good to see you fitted in a little shopping time too.

Ivory Spring said...

Great pictures, Carrie. I never get tired of visiting DC. :o)

Judy said...

That looks like a great trip! Thanks for sharing the photos with us. So many sewing machines in one window, it makes you wonder about the people who used them and what they were creating. Nice quilt shop :-)

Robin said...

Sounds like a wonderful visit! I've never been to D.C.-- it is on my bucket list, for sure. :)

hasnain raza said...
This comment has been removed by the author.