Wednesday, October 23, 2013

My first October Finish and some old quilts

I finally have a finish! It seems like forever since I have done any sewing. I finished the table runner that is going to be a Christmas gift. This pattern was from a summer sew along on Aunt Reen's Place. If you look close you might notice a little addition.
 I added a Cardinal which is one of the recipient's favorite birds. The bird and leaves are part of a BOM offered by Erin Russek at One Piece at a Time.
 While I was in Illinois visiting my in-laws Mr. P. and I slept under some old quilts. This one was made by my mother-in-law's aunt.
 This one was made by Mr. P's grandma.
 She made a lot of quilts. We own several she made. All of them are made from double knit fabric.
 Here are some of the blocks.
 Grandma tied a lot of her quilts with yarn.
 One thing about double knit quilts. They will keep you very warm and they will last forever!
 Do you own any double knit quilts?
With Passion,
Carrie P.

23 comments:

Lynn said...

I love the table runner and the cardinal on it is adorable.
What terrific quilts, I really like the first one, I bet it's all hand pieced? They are bot really interesting patterns.

gpc said...

Beautiful! I do love that cardinal. I've never heard of using double knit for a quilt but it makes sense -- we use what we have, right? They are lovely. :)

Jeanna said...

I can't say that I have or have ever had double knits in my stash. However, I think it is quite appropriate for the times. You and Mr. P are lucky to have those treasures :)

I love the runner too...cardinal really makes is special for the recipient.

Preeti said...

Very good finish on the table runner!! It looks lovely. I am amazed to see so many quilts made at home :) they are all so beautiful!!

marina said...

love your hexie table runner and the cardinal looks gorgeous, such a pretty bird.
what beautiful quilts made by hubs relatives.
lovely photos in your previous post too. the apple core quilt is amazing.

KaHolly said...

Beautiful finish!! The addition of the cardinal is perfect. I have some double knit quilts made by my great-aunt stashed away somewhere from forever ago! Haven't thought about them in years.

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Yes, my Mother made several double knit quilts--I don't think they will ever wear out

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Love the cardinal. Um yeah when I was a kid trying to make a Dresden plate quilt I was handed Double knit scraps to use.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Lovely runner and the cardinal makes it come alive! I had no idea double knit came in so many colors... those were the days.

Rosa said...

Beautiful runner and the cardinal is pretty nice!

Unknown said...

Love the little bird!

Judy said...

What a neat quilt! How nice to be able to have family quilts to enjoy. It's interesting to see the double knit quilts. I wonder how that fabric was to work with?

Sheila said...

Love the runner and those quilts are beautiful. Yes I did own a double knit quilt , Bill bought it years ago from an elderly lady who was a client of his and we had it at our cottage but when we sold the cottage I left it there .It was very warm and also very tough !

Dar said...

Your table runner with the cardinal is sure pretty. I tried to make a small quilt with double knits when I first started but it wasn't nearly as pretty as your relative's is. They do last like iron.

Candace said...

It's adorable, Carrie! Funny when I first read the quilts were from double knits I thought they must be really warm! Grandma really knew what she was doing ;>)
Cheers!

Angie in SoCal said...

What a lovely hexie table runner - love the cardinal you added. I hope you share this great eye candy tomorrow on Hexie Friday - others would to see how cute it is.

Purple Pam said...

Your addition to the table runner is darling. Be prepared - double knit quilts never wear our I am told.

Cathy said...

I adore your table runner. It is wonderful to see so many family quilts. Hugs

Rebecca Grace said...

Ooh, adding the Jingle cardinal to your table runner was just a stroke of genius! I love it!

Abby and Stephanie said...

I do think Mr. Creations has a quilt made by his mother with some double knit in it. I love the scrappiness of that quilt. Congrats on your finish for October. I haven't touched my sewing machine in over 2 weeks! Withdrawals are starting to set in.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Just lovely. Cardinals are my favorite.

Karens Quilts, Crows and Cardinals said...

Carrie the cardinal is my favorite songbird and has special meaning to me. I just love the one you included in the table runner. He is sweet! Thanks for stopping by the blog today -- I think we have lots in common ;)

Take good care!
Karen

Robin said...

I remember sleeping under a double knit quilt when I was little when we visited my father's parents in Illinois. Gah! That was a long time ago! :)

The tablerunner is lovely-- I adore the addition o the applique. Truly, a perfect touch! Beautiful work, Carrie!