Sunday, September 28, 2014

X marks the spot

 I have finally decided that I had better get busy with this rag quilt that I am making my daughter in law for Christmas. I made these little quiltlets.
 All done. Now to lay them out and sew them together.
 Several years ago I saw someone had used this kind of rotary cutter to cut out the squares for her rag quilt. I thought I would try it too. The only thing I can't remember is how well it unravels once the quilt is washed.  I guess I will find out.
If you want to make a rag quilt you can find lots of tutorials on Youtube.

With Passion,
Carrie P.

16 comments:

WoolenSails said...

That is going to be a beautiful quilt. I have plans on making some and hopefully I can try one this week. I got a go die to try them with, hope it cuts nicely, will make it easier and faster for me.

Debbie

Teresa in Music City said...

Everyone loves rag quilts!!! I could make one for everyone in my family and they would be thrilled :) I'll be interested in seeing how the pinking rotary cutter looks when you are done. Are those the Woolies flannels from Bonnie Sullivan? Yum!!!

Robin said...

Flannel rag quilts are just so cozy! I'm also curious how the pinked edge works out... how much easier that approach is over clipping for miles on end!

Unknown said...

Are those flannels, Carrie? WOW - that is going to be a great rag quilt, for sure!!!
Warm hugs
Deborah

Leeanne said...

Hi Carrie, these are fun quick quilts to make. I have made a few as well as teaching kids to make them, they love them!

KaHolly said...

Can't wait to see it finished. I love rag quilts.

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

Perhaps you can test one in the washer and dryer before you put them all together....or am I too late with this idea? LOL

Smiles,
Kelly

Karen said...

I am waiting to see the process on making this quilt. I have not made one. I did the Bull's Eye style where you sew circles onto a background and do not turn under the edges of the circle.

Dar said...

Your rag quilt will be super soft and warm, that's for sure. I have made several with leftover jeans and flannels back to back and they are used a lot. Will be interested to see how the pinking blade works.

Hazel said...

Is the fabric mens suiting or upholstery or what? I like the idea that it is quilted first and then sewed together!

Jeanna said...

I love rag quilts but have never made one. I have a pattern for a Christmas tree...its so cute!

Can't wait to see yours when it is finished.

Rebecca in AK said...

It looks like it will be very warm and cuddly! A great gift! I am sure she will love it!

Candace said...

How pretty and snuggly it will be, Carrie!
Cheers!

februarybaby54 said...

When you are ready to wash and dry - you might want to take it to a laundry. there's a LOT of lint.

Allie said...

That will be lovely - I hope it ravels well for you Carrie! I made one years ago and forgot to cut the fringe before washing, oh what a mess THAT was.

Angie in SoCal said...

Hate to put in a negative note but I was taught you pink edges so that the seams wouldn't unravel. Hope I'm wrong. Love the flannels you're using, Carrie.