Thursday, December 11, 2008

Number 2 UFO

Here is my number 2UFO from the list. This was a row robin that was done in 2007. I had be collecting patriotic fabric for a while and when the guild decided to do a row robin that is the theme I decided to use. I made the second row which is the flags. As you can see it needs a border.
My plan for the border is to use this fabric with stars. (it's blurry, no, your eyes are not bad) I am going to sew these stars around the border. The stars will be raw edge applique. I am planning to have it machine quilted. The good news is that we two months to get this one done.
I just had to share this picture of this pine cone. It is 1/2"-3/4" long. We planted this Hemlock tree when we moved into this house. We have been here 12 years now. The tree was only 3 feet tall when we first planted it. Now it is 25 feet tall. Last year was the first year it had these little pine cones and now this year we see some more. It doesn't have very many but I just think it is so neat for such a big tree to have such little pine cones. (a picture of the tree is on the 11/21 entry)

One more Christmas decoration. I got this at a craft show in the late 90's. It is a old wooden box with a sliding lid. I really like the pine cones and the way it frames the Snowman family.
With Passion, Carrie P.

11 comments:

Anne Sutton said...

Hi Carrie! That is one mighty pine cone. If that tree ever decides to drop them you need to collect them. In about 5 years you'll have enough to add to your Christmas decorations. And speaking of decorations, you have some darling ones! I LOVE the needlepunch pillow in the last post. Come teach me how to do needlepunch.

Sherri said...

The little pine cone is so sweet! Also, I'm so impressed that you are still working on UFO's at Christmas! I'm going to start using your plan...in January!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Very pretty patriotic quilt. Will you be hand quilting it? Such a cute little pinecone!

Salem Stitcher said...

That little cone is so sweet! I love pine cones and acorns and leaves...

I remember working on your patriotic quilt but I can't remember which row I did!

Browndirtcottage said...

aauuhhhh....sigh....cute pinecone...love the patriotic quilt

Nane said...

My Mom also loved the teeny tiny pine cone of the great big redwoods out in California. Bet you get #2 done!

Candace said...

Carrie, I have never heard of a "row" robin - what a great idea and your quilt is magnificent! Love the idea for the stars!
You share my love for pine cones! One year we were in Sister's Oregon staying at the Black Butte Ranch. All the pine trees were dropping their cones, so I insisted he help me find some plastic bags to gather as many as we could - I use them all over the house for decorations!
Cheers!

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Hi Carrie,
Your quilt is gorgeous, I love the rows of different patterns. I had a lady from Austrailia do a class at the shop with different rows, it was a lot of fun.
The quilt guild is a group of talented ladies. I need to join ours again.
Merry Christmas,
Bonnie

Mel said...

I love your baby pinecone! Stay strong little one!!

I love Americana quilts!! Yours turned out real nice!!

Eileen said...

Aren't those little teensy pinecones fun? I always think there should be someone who wants them. We have a huge tree with thousands of them every year. The chic-a-dees live to eat the seeds in the cones when they open. :-)

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

You're well on your way with #2 UFO; I see a great finish on this one in your not-too-distant future! Red, white and blue is my all time favorite color combination... our 1975 wedding was even that! :)