Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers, but to be fearless in facing them. Let me not beg for the stilling of my pain but for the heart to conquer it. Rabindranath Tagore
Friday, January 16, 2009
Applique Points Tutorial
My first tutorial by request. I am going to show you how to do points on needle turn applique and tomorrow I will show you how to do them using freezer paper. My daughter took the photos, so give her a hand.
Here I am approaching a point.
When you get to the point I take two stitches right at the very point to hold it in place.
Now I have this little bit of excess fabric. This little bit of fabric can make it hard to get a good point. So...
I will take my small sharp pointed scissors and snip that little bit of fabric away.

Here is where a toothpick comes in handy. This is one of my favorite tools. It works great turning the fabric and when you are having trouble turning the fabric with the needle, try using a toothpick. Take the toothpick and fold the tip under so you have a straight horizontal edge, then...
continue to use the toothpick to turn under the fabric. Once you get a little fabric turned under use your other thumb and finger press it down and you are ready to sew again.
Take one stitch at the very tip of the point and continue stitching down the side.
And here you go, pretty decent points if I say so myself.
With Passion, Carrie P.
Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers, but to be fearless in facing them. Let me not beg for the stilling of my pain but for the heart to conquer it. Rabindranath Tagore
Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers, but to be fearless in facing them. Let me not beg for the stilling of my pain but for the heart to conquer it. Rabindranath Tagore
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
33 comments:
I'd say those points are perfect, Carrie! Thanks for a terrific tutorial - one which I will print and keep - and thanks to your daughter for fantastic photos!
Cheers!
Carrie,
Thats how I do mine too.It finally dawned on me to get rid of some fabric......Alot easier now.Tell your daughter thanks for the photos.
Wow, that is fantastic! Good to know, but I don't know if I will ever have the patience to do it. :~) Beautiful work!
Oh yeah, you make that look soooo easy! I'm never brave enough to snip that bit of fabric off. It gives my points a certain 3-D look to them. :)
Thank you! This is great. Points are hard, but you make it look easy.
Perfect points...thank you! This will come in handy when I do the star points on Anne's basket block of the month!
Pretty fabric you're working on. :o) Great tutorial...lots of up close pictures are so helpful. Your daughter did a great job. Perfect points. No wonder I had some bulk at my points...I never got rid of the excess fabric.
I think I can do this...someday...Thanks for posting this...I know where the expert advice is now. Your instructions are very clear and photos (dear daughter) are informative as well. Have a great day:)
Hi Carrie....thank you so much! I wish I had known this little technique when I was working on my first applique...which was stars Hey, your daughter 'dun' good too!
One additional thing I've found very helpful is to keep the tooth pick in my mouth until needed LOL! Little threads and cloth seem to cling and turn under better when the tooth pick is damp. Does look a little wierd to look around my Tangled Threads group and see at least half of us with tooth picks dangling from our mouthes!
the pics your daughter took are wonderful...i will try a little applique project soon! i just love the look of it....
Thank you for the tutorial! I've been struggling with pointy-points for awhile now. Seeing how you go about it (with those great photos!) has given me new hope. :)
Your daughter did a great job photographing...thanks for the tutorial! Perfect points I say too!!
Wow, that's an awesome tutorial. You make it look so easy. :-) I'm anxious to see your freezer paper tutorial. I appreciate your time and effort - thank you bunches!
Applause, applause, applause for your daughter and the awesome photography job. WTG!
Thanks for the tutorial! I will pratice, pratice, practice.
Thanks for the great tutorial!
Wonderful tutorial. That is exactly how I do it. Toothpick and all. In fact, I never use the needle to turn under the fabric. I always use the toothpick.
Thanks for "getting to the point" Carrie.. my question is how do you do the inner point.. I can do the outer.. it is the inner that I would like a better solution for... thanks to your wonderful daughter and yourself by taking the time to post a great tutorial
Good tutorial, you and your daughter did well. I do my points the same and use a damp toothpick. If I'm out without a toothpick, I resort to the points of scissors.
when I do needleturn applique that toothpick is always in my mouth!
I love using it to push the edges i smooth it out as well as turning it under as you showed
great tutorial
thanks..
Kathie ..
Carrie, that tutorial was wonderful! I'm going to add it to my blog list. I did each photo in close up and I was completely amazed ... i can't even FIND your stitches??? I have a lot of practice to do before I ever get that good.
Your dear daughter did a wonderful job on those photos too. They are book worthy for certain!
Thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Lea
Carrie, this really is a great tutorial. I am adding it to my sidebar.. Thanks!
Great photos and instructions on your tutorial, Carrie. You do know how to get perfect points. They look absolutely PERFECT.
Thank you so much for sharing your technique.
Very helpful Carrie. Thanks. My applique lacks good points and good inside turns. I love your tutorial. I'm going to reference it to my classes next month. Thanks.
Thanks for a great lesson!
Thank you so much, I've been trying to do an applique BOM but the points really got me. Its my first try at hand applique, I think I'll give it another go now.
I'm reviewing all your tutorials. This is such a good reference and your photos and description is perfectly clear. Good job Carrie. I need to remember to put a toothpick in my case.
I am starting to teach myself to needleturn appliqué and I thought you would have a good tutorial. And here you go! Great idea, using the tooth pick. That should make my points look better. I'm practicing all kinds of shapes two or three times. I should see result LOL
If you wet the toothpick (in your mouth will do)the wood fibers will expand and help grab the fabric.
Perfect finishing choice! Great use of art.
Obrigado, muito útil!!!
Obrigado, muito útil!!!
Post a Comment