Friday, January 2, 2009

Finished Applique Block

Remember I showed you these pieces that I had prepared for an applique block? Ta Dah! Here is the block.
This is the pattern I am making.  I am really going outside my box.  Red is not really one of my favorite colors but there is something about this quilt that drew me to it.  So I decided to give myself a challenge.  There are 12 blocks to this quilt.
On the 4th Thursday of each month I will be facilitating an applique bee.  One at 10am and one at 1pm.  There are 12 ladies in each group.  There is also a night bee lead by another lady. 
This is being held at one of our quilt shops.  A lot of us are going to be working on this quilt so it will be fun to see what each one does and I will be sure to share.  I am trying to work ahead so that they can see the block  finished.
I have been preparing for another block with these pieces.  When I have to make a lot of the same pattern I like to use Templar.  On the post that I mentioned above I use the same technique that I use for circles.
After you cut out your pieces take an emery board and file the edges so that they are nice and smooth.  If you don't do this step the ridges will show up on the edges of your fabric. You will be happy that you too this extra step.

With Passion, Carrie P.

The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches but to reveal to him his own.  Benjamin Disraeli

20 comments:

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Beautifully stitched applique. I love the red background just makes it all pop!
Love the redwork, too!
Happy Trails...Ginger

Karen said...

Happy New Year Carrie!

Love the Aunt Millie's Garden block. I have the pattern on order. An emery board to file the edges, sounds like a great idea. Your Red Delicious is looking very delicious! So beautiful, once quilted.

MichelleB said...

Happy New Year! This block is wonderful. I also like your Red Delicious BOM - it's looking great.

Carrie ~ Cricketwood Prims said...

Your applique is so wonderful, I just love the red background too. Thanks for the template tip. Best wishes for your A classes, sounds inspiring.
Carrie

Cheryl said...

You do wonderful work. And your applique groups sound like so much fun. Hope you show pictures of what everyone is working on! Happy 2009 to you and your family.

Abby and Stephanie said...

My daughter saw this pattern over the summer and LOVES it. She said "but you don't applique." True, but I'd make it for her if I did. She can dream...I also love it and the red just makes everything pop. GORGEOUS! You always have such great tips too.

Purple and Paisley said...

oh my goodness! i almost flipped when your blog came up and i saw that block! it is beautiful! red isn't normally my color either...but that block? it is the most gorgeous thing i've ever seen...all rich and sumptuous jewel-y...and your applique is perfect as always! carrie, i love it!

Anne said...

Oh goodness... I love, love, love that applique block! Wish I lived closer because I'd love to join in on your applique group. Darn!

Karen said...

It is going to be a striking quilt with that red background. And thanks for the emery board tip.

Barb said...

I loovvvvveee applique...sometimes my fingers just can't seem to get the material to work the way I want...but still love it.

Thanks for entering my blog giveaway....I think I am going to add some more stuff..come by and check it out.

Robin said...

Lovely block! I can see why you were drawn to this quilt... I'm not much for red either, but that is just stunning. And thank you for the tip about using an emery board-- I can't wait to try it out.

And happy new year! :)

Browndirtcottage said...

WOW....this is so FAB Carrie...I'm all about going against the grain...the red just sets off the block design...

Sherri said...

Your block is gorgeous...the quilt is going to be amazing! I love the red background--stunning!

Nane said...

This will be fabulous!!

Darlene said...

OMG, OMG, OMG, Carrie - I grabbed this pattern when my Mom was visiting this past summer and want to work on it so badly but haven't been able to settle on a background color. I absolutely LOVE RED - it's a favorite of mine but didn't want to do what they did in the pattern but, but, but I love yours! LOL

I can't come to your applique bee in person so can you and I have one here together? :-)

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Oh my ... another one! That is amazing. Maybe when I grow up, I'll be able to quilt like that!

Smiles,
Lea

Candace said...

Carrie - how pretty a block - reminds me of spring! And I finally know why my LQS sells emory boards at the check out counter - I was always afraid to ask - LOL!
Cheers!

Eileen said...

WOW! This really opens up a whole new world.. doesn't it?.. the red background? Ok.. I have some birthday money.. so I might look for this book.. even if it's just to gaze at the pictures.. I don't know if I'd ever get around to actually making it. This is going to be so much fun watching your quilt grow!

Eileen said...

ahh.. I see after looking closer hat this is a BOM.. not a book. Well it will be fun watching you make them :-)

Deb said...

Carrie you are so right about the templar showing every point but it is so worth that little bit extra effort...I love this method of applique. thanks I have added you to my list of blogs to follow.