Sunday morning it was cold and as we were traveling down the highway to go eat some breakfast at the
Morning Glory Cafe, we looked toward the mountains. Take a look at what we saw. Snow! We have seen snow where we live but we haven't ever seen the high elevations of the mountains with snow on them.

Our plan after breakfast was to drive on the Blue Ridge Parkway and go to Mt. Mitchell which is off the parkway. We stopped at the Folk Art Center which is on the parkway. The Folk Art Center is a visitor center full of crafts of different artists that are for sale. There are always great quilts hanging too but you are not allowed to take pictures of the crafts. As we walked in the door my husband spotted Her first. It was
Georgia Bonesteel. I was so excited because she has had quilt shows on our Public Broadcasting TV Station. My husband was excited for me because he has seen her shows too and knew that I enjoyed watching them. I think I have seen all her shows and I guess you could call her my mentor. I really don't know how many years she had a television show but it was a lot. We got to talk to her for a couple minutes and she let us take her picture. You can read more about her at
www.georgiabonesteel.com
I made a quilt using Georgia's lap quilting technique. You can read about it
here and
here.
After we left the Folk Art Center we headed down the parkway and it was closed further down the road. The parkway had been closed where Mt. Mitchell was because of snowy weather. So we turned around and went into downtown Asheville to a craft show at the civic center. After we left the craft show we stopped to get dinner and headed back to the conference center. Even though our plans were changed a little we still had a good day.
When we would come back from our travels we would sit at the fireplace that was in the center foyer of our building. While sitting there we would meet some people and talk with them but most of the time it was just the two of us sitting at the fireplace. My husband would read and I brought some embroidery. I finished the first Sweet Nostalgia block designed by
Dorothy Baker. I reduced my block and colored it with crayons before I did the embroidery. I am very pleased with how it looks. Now I am ready to start number 2.
The next post will be the last one about our trip.
With Passion, Carrie P.
The only way to discover the limits of the possible is to go beyond them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke
30 comments:
It sure was a wonderful getaway for the both of you from the sounds of it. Enjoy your day...little cool and crisp out there!
Sounds like sheer heaven with you and Hubby sitting in front of the fireplace both working on what you like best.
I have met Georgia several times....she is just the sweetest and down to earth person you would want to meet.
Snow, fireplaces a glow and being content with some handwork - sounds like a good day to me.
Sewing up hugs and blessings is always a good thing - but next to a cozy fireplace sounds especially warm and cuddly - and relaxing.
I've been to the Folk art center a couple of times. You just never know what you will find or who you you will see there! :0)
I like how you colored your block with crayons. I have printed out the two blocks posted so far in the series but have not done anything with it. I do like the designs.
It sounds like you are having a lovely time Carrie. I love how you colored your embroidery piece, it adds so much more to it.
Crispy
All I can say is those mountains look cold. Looks like you had a great trip and I like how you colored your nostalgia block. Will you paint a medium/fixative over it to keep it from washing out?? Or will you ever be able to wash your quilt?? Questions, Questions??
I honestly think I've been to that same Folk Art Center about 10 years ago when we used to travel back and forth to Canada when we lived in Florida. I remember driving up north to pick up my parents to bring them back down to stay with us and we saw a billboard sign on I95 advertising about it. I believe it was in Marxh and there were a couple of huge pecan trees in the parking lot and we picked up literally tons of them from off the ground. Boy did we eat a lot of pecan pie after that.
Sounds like you had a great weekend, Carrie...especially the part about stitching by the fire.
Aren't you just the cleverest thing, coloring in your embrodiery (okay I can't spell that word) before you do it. Just such a great tip. I hope you don't mind me stealing it.
Breath taking beauty. I have been in those mountains a couple of times, and each time I am awe struck.
CUTE stitchery.. I LOVE the crayons!
You were in Asheville the same time we were last year. We attended the craft show at the civin center. Unfortunately we didn't do the Blue Ridge Parkway. Lovely snow capped mountains. Wow your block is so darn cute.
Carrie, your September block looks wonderful! I like the effect the crayons give.
How cool to spot a favorite celebrity on your trip! And your Sweet Nostalgia block is so pretty. I love the soft shading that the crayons give it.
Cute block...sounds like a perfect trip and to meet Georgia Bonsteel...a quilting hero...a mentor to so many of us.
Recognizing and knowing who Georgia Bonesteel is puts you in a special category - long-time quilter! So glad you know and appreciate her skills. Lucky you to meet her.
Your embroidery is impeccable! I didn't think I wanted to participate in this Sweet Nostalgia BOM, but your version is inspiring! Will you do a tute for us who might like to try your crayon technique?
CARRIE! Oh my gosh, I was thinking of using crayons on my blocks too - but only 1 color of embroidery thread. I still haven't decided but I LOVE yours.
You got to meet Georgia Bonesteel! She was the first quilter whose book I checked out from the library. Isn't she wonderful? That is so cool that you met her!
The mountains look beautiful covered with snow - and it sounds heavenly to sit by the fire stitching. So glad you had a good time!
The snow is beautiful on the mountains and that is the perfect place for it!
I like how you coloured your block before stitching. How much smaller did you make it?
What a beautiful view of the mountain but it does look cold. I love the block you stitsched, the colouring makes it look lovely.
I love what you've done with Dorothy's block, Carrie! How much smaller did you make it?
CArrie I am just loving your trip posts what wonderful antique quilts and sites to see and to see GB must have been fantastic!!
Love your SN block it is just adorable you have done a wondeful job thanks for sharing your technique is perfect for that pattern with the crayons..
The crayon idea is great Carrie!! Learning for me!
We've never been to the Morning Glory. Sounds good. Did you go to Marti's Patchwork Cottage while you were in Black Mountain? It's a nice quilt shop. The folk art center is only a short diatance from where I live. Too bad I work weekends or I could have come to meet you!!! Aren't the mountains beautiful??
Carrie, your DB block looks good. I like the color you've added.
How exciting that you got to meet Georgia Bonesteel! Thanks for sharing the pictures of the quilts. And I love your little schoolbus block. That's a good idea to color with crayons first.
Oh Carrie - I've always considered Georgia as my "mentor", too, and seen all of her shows over and over! How lucky for you to meet her in person! We visited the Folk Art Center one year and loved it! What a wonderful trip you had! Sitting by the fire sounds so idyllic.
Cheers!
We made it to Mt. Mitchell a few weeks ago and it seemed cold enough to snow but we lucked out and it was a clear day. Looks like you had a great trip even with the change of plans.
Hi Carrie,
Your embroidered piece is precious! What a lovely time you must have had sitting by the fire. :)
Your Nostalgia block is so cute - what a great idea to actually coloring it.
What a wonderful getaway Carrie. I have enjoyed reading about it and looking at your pictures.
Exciting to meet Georgia B. Her lapquilting book was one of my first quilting books.
Oh boy, now you've done it....you've inspired me to get started on my Nostalgia blocks...maybe this weekend.
I like the coloring you did on your Nostalgia block. Your embroidery is wonderful. Such a darling block. Isn't Georgia Bonsteel a sweetheart? I watched all her shows and have most of her books.
Post a Comment