I got to work on my UFO on Sunday. I have some pictures to show some of the process. Before I go through those I thought I would just share some information about this technique that I have learned.
First, it is a great way to use up those strips of batting that you have left over from quilts that were not big enough to use all the batting.
Second, this technique is great for straight stitching with the walking foot. I did a lot of stopping and starting on the blocks. I felt like the blocks needed that kind of quilting as compared to free motion quilting.
Third, I had read but forgot as I was quilting that you do not want to quilt at least a half inch of the edge of the rows or blocks because that is where you will be sewing them together. I had to rip out some quilting. So once I get the quilt put together then I will go back and finish the quilting.
Overall I like this technique when I want to do the quilting myself.
This first picture is showing the batting trimmed to the edge of the row and the backing trimmed half an inch from the edge of the row.
This picture show the rows pinned together with one side of the batting. The batting is from the top side is pinned to the rows. When I sew the rows together I put the batting down on the feed dogs.
After the rows are sewn together the batting that was not sewn down is now trimmed so that the edges meet. After that, the I fold one side of the fabric down and then the other side on top of that. Fold under the edge of the fabric and hand stitch it closed. Then I will finish the quilting. I had a picture of the sides folded and pinned but you really could not see the fold because of the fabric pattern. So now I am sewing the backside rows together and then I will be ready for the binding. Yippee!! I will show it when is done. I have to have it done by next Monday night when my guild meets.
It has taken up a lot of my applique time but I have finished two of these blocks for my tree skirt. Now I need to make two more of these in reverse. This is wool applique so it goes pretty fast. It is just a matter of sitting down to stitch. ( I forgot the bird legs, oops. I'll show a picture later with legs)
Check out this web site for a free applique pattern. It is a very pretty quilt. http://www.rjrfabrics.com/patterns/download_pattern.cfm?psID=374
Check out this Halloween Baltimore style quilt. I just love the border idea. It is genius. http://www.honeybeefabrics.com/store/products/details/?product=BalHalBOM
Here is another very cute house quilt. Anne Sutton has the cutest patterns. I have several of her patterns. My brain is swirling with ideas for the cottage quilt. http://www.shabbyfabrics.com/store/products/details/?product=autumn+house+bom
With Passion, Carrie P.
9 comments:
You can't hide these gorgeous blocks under presents!!! You'll have the most beautiful tree skirt in NC. Thanks for the links of new places to visit.
I really like the colours in your quilt, very cheery. That Halloween Blatimore is great! Such a neat idea.
Beautiful applique block! Thanks for the links-I downloaded the RJR pattern-I love vintage and vintage-look patterns.
Oh, I wish you hadn't shown me that Halloween Baltimore Album!
Your tree skirt is going to be beautiful.
I saw that Halloween Baltimore Album on another site and thought it was really cute - I'm not a real fan of Halloween but it sure is tempting. LOL
And, it goes without saying that I adore Bunny Hill's new Autumn House. Sigh! I need to get super busy.
This is coming along so interestingly. I love watching someone make their quilts, especially if it is in a non-conventional way. Fun! And you are showing great pictures!
I think that is going to be the most gorgeous Christmas tree skirt ever made! Thanks for the links...the Halloween Baltimore quilt is amazing!
Thank you for sharing your quilting project, it would make the quilting process easier than handling a larger piece. I love the wool applique blocks, you do very nice work.
I looked at your links and wish I had more time and worked twice as fast. Autumn House is definitely calling my name....
You are one busy bee. I echo Salem Stircher's comment on the Halloween BA-- it's great; thanks for the link.
Post a Comment