Saturday, November 15, 2008

Busy Days

Yesterday and today have been busy days for me. I am sitting here writing this blog as I watch the Lawarence Welk show on pbs. Does anyone else like to watch it? We don't have cable TV by choice so our channels are limited. I just love the old music. It brings back a lot of memories. And those dancers! Those are the original dancing stars. My daughter gets a kick out of the costumes and hairdos.

Back to reality. My Fridays are usually spent cleaning house and washing clothes which I did but I decided to put all my summer clothes away and get out my winter clothes. I figured it was time since it going to get pretty cold next week. I also had to get ready for a workshop our guild was holding today.

I learned how to make a fat quarter bag. The pattern is from Fat Quarter Quilts by M'Liss Rae Hawley. There was 15 of us and as usual it was great fun to see every one's fabric choices. It takes 6 fat quarters and 2 yards for the lining and handles. It was a 4 hour workshop and most of us finished. I would have finished but my needle broke a half hour before we were to leave so I finished mine at home. I was great to finish something so quickly. These are great to carry your quilt in to a guild meeting for show and tell.

Yesterday I mentioned the Perfect Circles by Karen Kay Buckley. I had the privileged of taking a class with her a couple of years ago. She is a great teacher. I have this book. She shows you how to make dimensional flowers and bugs in this book.

I highly recommend taking classes from many different applique teachers if you have the opportunity. I have taken classes from five different teachers and I always learn something new. I can say that I felt like I got my moneys worth in each of those classes.

Check out the Nov. 12 entry on the Piece O' Cake blog on tranporting your applique pieces.

Hope you are all having a great weekend.

With Passion, Carrie P.

7 comments:

Anne said...

I completely agree with you about taking classes from many teachers. My technique combines aspects from each one. What works for one person, doesn't necessarily work for everyone.

Kelli said...

Your fat quarter bag is beautiful. What a fun project!
~Kelli

Abby and Stephanie said...

When we'd go visit my grandma we watched Lawrence Welk with her and you'd better NOT talk during it. My favorites were Sissy and Bobby and Joann Castle the piano player. I've even been to Lawrence Welk Village to a dinner theatre. It's 25 minutes from where I used to live.

Good size bag.

Laurie said...

I too have taken a class from Karen Kay Buckley. I really learned new things and had fun. I use her perfect circle templates also. I am hoping to take more classes from others.

mary-myneedlethead.blogspot.com said...

Hi I received your cottage block and I just wanted to say Thank you and how adorable it is, Hugs, Mary

Sherri said...

Love the bag...and I have Lawrence Welk memories too...we used to watch it every Saturday night at my Dad's request! Funny, though, I bet my children don't even know who he is!

Candace said...

Thanks for this, Carrie. I love applique and hope to continually refine my skills and learn new tricks! We watched Lawrence Welk and Jackie Gleason every Sunday as a family when I was growing up! I remember wanting to be just like the Andrew sisters! Cheers!