Applique Addicts. That is our official name for the applique bee now. After meeting for a year we decided we needed a real name. We truly are addicts too. Applique is just something we have to do. So now you can see what some of the ladies just had to do. Just a few things this time.

These two wool applique pieces are made by Marlene. She will be making pillows out of them to donate to Habitat for Humanity. They will be for a fund raiser that goes on each spring. I love the wrens in the basket. The goose is not finished yet but it will be donated by the next time we meet.

This AMG work in progress is made by Beverly.

Jane is working on Country Sunshine. Notice the way she has her basket blocks all facing toward the center. The original design has them facing like the top basket. I like this look. She is now working on all the applique borders.

I just had to share a little story with you. I had just finished washing 5 yards of flannel for the back of a quilt. You can imagine how much lint it creates. Since it is spring I decided to put it outside for the birds to use in nests.

No sooner had I put it outside, pulled the flannel out of the dryer, and turned around, there was a female bluebird sitting on the wood. I wished I had my camera. I stood there looking out the sliding glass door not moving because I did not want to scare her. That little comma shape was where she had pulled some of the lint and flew back to the bird house to line her nest with it. After she left I got my camera and sat inside waiting for her to come back. I sat for a good 15 minutes but I guess that is all she wanted at that time. Later when I check the bird house to count eggs I will be able to see how much she really got.
With Passion,
Carrie P.
Keep your love of nature, for that is the way to understand art more and more. Vincent Van Gogh
26 comments:
What a great group! You all are doing great jobs.
I love how you have land and views. I grew up in the concrete jungle so I have to take outings to be able to see what you do everyday.
Talented ladies. I'm an applique` admirer. :o) Pretty wool.
Oh Carrie, what fun wool applique. You mean each teeny tiny piece is separate and put on by hand?
See - I'm picking your brain here.
It's neat to hear about your group that's so devoted to applique. I'm getting there. This weekend I'm off on a quilting retreat with five friends at one of the quilters' homes, and for the first time I'm not taking a sewing machine, I plan to work exclusively on hand applique. Very different for me.
I'd heard birds like threads and fabric snippets, but hadn't heard about dryer lint. Hope you catch your little bluebird on camera.
What an amazing group Carrie!
I adore that little duck way up top. I think he's my very most favorite! We get mallards here and they are absolutely stunning creatures!
Well...I'm trying to become an applique addict...I don't like having to 'learn' new things...I want to be able to just jump in there and automatically know how to do it...a favorite quote of mine is soooo true..."getting started is half the battle!" I did get some templates made yesterday...yeah!!
And yes...I'm laughing at you and your bird story...just like me....I LOVE watching my birds...I have spent/wasted soo much time standing still at the window watching them. I had not thought about putting some of my flannel lint out for them...I must do that!
I love the bird appliques..especially the goose. What a love gift for someone. How cool that the addicts are able to meet :-)
I want to be an applique addict member too....I love the projects and little duck is too darn cute!
How cozy will that nest be? :0) Lovely applique - thanks for sharing.
The basket applique quilt is a winner with me! Well done.
Sounds like y'all picked a perfect name! :) The wool applique pieces are just gorgeous. And that basket quilt... wow! Such fun eye candy. Thanks again for sharing.
It never occurred to me that birds would use lint for their nests. Such a smart way to put it to good use.
Fun group Carrie!
I too put all of my fabric lint outside for the birdies this time of year. They especially love rag quilt offerings. :0)
great pieces of wool applique, love the wrens in the basket too, very cute.
thanks for sharing their work with us
Kathie
I love the name - I'm an applique addict too, but don't do needleturn [yet?]. I love the pillow designs! And oh that quilt - I really like it with the way she has the blocks facing.
I have to remember about the lint - we've done that too, and also any thread snips that I remember to save. We do get some colorful nests around here!
Carrie,
You really have a group of very talented ladies in your quilting bee! I love that you shared your lint with the birdies -I am sure they are very appreciative. :)
Oooo love the Country Sunshine quilt, it has such a nice old time feel to it. I'm pretty sure that flannel lint is as nice and warm as flannel, she may be sorry she didn't get a bit more LOL.
Crispy
Glad you reminded me about putting my threads etc. out for the birds to have in their home building. Did it last year and just am slow getting the thought process working this year. so thanks. I am sure the birds thank you, as well.
I have spent way too much time trying to get a picture of our bluebirds. If only they would sit nice and still for a second then I could take my photo and stop bothering them.
I like the new name for your group.
Such a talented group!
Love coming by for all the inspiration on applique, your group of ladies are very talented.
The story of your donation for the little nest was great. That little momma bird didn't have to work near as hard as usual.
Beautiful work by the "Addicts", Carrie.
I hope the bluebirds come back to visit us this year. Last year was the first time I was able to see them close up and they are truly magnificent. And how's that for recycling? Good for you!
What a fun idea for using the lint that usually is just tossed away. i am going to keep that in mind. Your group sounds like so much fun.
Great appliques, Carrie! I love the wren's, too - oh, and the basket quilt is stunning!
I never thought about taking the lint outside for bird nesting! What a great idea! I wonder if it's all been taking by now!
Cheers!
Thanks for visiting me back, Carrie. Your kind comments made my day!! :)
Have a great week ahead.
I love your little bird story. Do you check the nest every year? One time I saw little birds trying to pull off the strings from my mop. They would fly down and get a piece of string and try to fly away with it. They wouldn't get very far since the string never broke away. Poor little things. They tried so hard!
What a talented group, your work is so beautiful!
Post a Comment