Monday, August 29, 2011

Deviled Eggs?

Nope! just the beginnings of some flowers for my Hop To It block. Did you ever wonder how Deviled Eggs got the name? I did.
In the 18th century, "to devil" was a verb that meant to cook with hot spices like Dijon mustard, hot sauce, or cayenne pepper. Foods cooked in this manner, with a kick, were referred to as "deviled". I love deviled eggs. It seems that every covered dish I attend someone has made some.

Do like deviled eggs? What do you call them in other countries? Just curious if you call them the same thing.

Here is a web site dedicated to Deviled Eggs.

With Passion,
Carrie P.

27 comments:

Shakerwood said...

I have to admit it. I don't like Deviled Eggs - never have. My kids and my hubby do so I will make them once in a while. I usually just tell them to wait for the next covered dish supper at church. In fact, unless there is a lot of "stuff" in them (like omelets), I don't really like eggs at all. Must have been some bad experience as a child that I don't remember.

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

OK!! You had me fooled for a minute!!! I love deviled eggs and you are right, someone always makes them!

Brandie said...

I like flower centers MUCH better than deviled eggs.
I also had a bad experience with eggs, side effects of having a few in the back yard!

Cathy said...

Deviled Flower sounds interesting lol. Can't wait to see what you do with pieces. Hugs

Sharon said...

I love eggs any way they can be made, but deviled eggs are one of our favorites.

Janet said...

nice eggs :0) I haven't seen deviled eggs in ages. I've only made them myself once. Maybe I need to go boil some and try it again.

ranette said...

When my girls where little we decided not to give the devil any credit and so we called them "angel eggs" for the longest time...lol

We make them all of the time around here...in fact I may go whip up some for supper tonight.

Salem Stitcher said...

My mom always makes the deviled eggs for Thanksgiving at my aunts house. They hardly ever make it to the table. Everyone steals them as they wander through the kitchen. I could eat them until I pass out.

Sandy said...

I love deviled eggs. I don't spice them up though, just salt, pepper and miracle whip....yum! They sure look like deviled eggs though!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

I'm interested in seeing what those deviled egg pieces turn into.
Yes, I love deviled eggs and rarely make them.

Yvette said...

You got me too! I thought, who has blue egg yolks? LOL!

Lynette said...

LOL!! Yep, I thought you must be working on a picnic quilt or something. ;D

And: Huh! I never knew that about "deviled." Sounds like today's typical deviled eggs aren't really deviled, eh? I've never had one that was actually spicy.

Allie said...

LOL, I had to look twice! I love deviled eggs. One time, I was hungry for them, so I boiled 12 eggs and made some. I sat down with a really good book and started eating - in no time, my hand was bumping into the empty plate. Oh my was I sick after that - but I still love them!

marina said...

We call them Devilled eggs too. Reminds me of a 70's dinner party lol.
I think they are yum.

Crispy said...

Ha, they do look like deviled eggs. I have to watch Bob carefully at pot luck dinners or he would eat a whole plate of those LOL.

Crispy

Janet said...

They are called devilled eggs in New Zealand and Australia, there always used to be a plate of them when social events were on. I've just seen the movie "The Help" and there were plates of them in different scenes.

MamaT said...

I HATE eggs! But I like them deviled. We have them 4 times a year at my house: Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter and July 4th. And they're always fought over. I make lots of them and they're still fought over. I'd make them more often, but that would take the "specialness" away.

Barb said...

I think Deviled eggs is one of the first items I learned to make as a young girl...just love them but they sure stink!

Nanette Merrill said...

cute! I thought they were almost real at first.

Robin said...

LOL! I do love me some deviled eggs. Lately, I've been using the Jessica Seinfeld "Deceptively Delicious" version with carrot puree. Yum! :)

Valspierssews said...

They look just like eggs! We usually make them at Christmas time. I like to pipe the yolk mix in so it swirls with a point on top. I love all your applique and I really like the Avian Architecture book you won. I have a grey shrike-thrush that has a beautiful piping call that visits my garden a lot. I saw it for the first time this year yesterday. It is spring here tomorrow.
Cheers,
Val

Linda said...

Soooo looks like deviled eggs!! LOL!! But those pieces look very familiar to me!!

Patty Nordahl said...

Are your "deviled eggs" wool or cotton? They look thicker that cotton so I thought they might be felted wool but you usually don't see wool with the delicate patterns you are using. I like primitive and folk art style but don't like the texture of wool. So I have been doing my applique in cotton.

M and M plus 3 said...

Love deviled eggs even though we don't make them that often. Lol, cute post!

Karen said...

They do look like deviled eggs! Yummy!!!

Tina Craig said...

Aha! Like Italian spicy foods are "fra diavolo." It all makes sense now!

Simone de Klerk said...

I thought I had seen these before ...