Monday, August 22, 2011

Makeovers

The makeovers in the kitchen and bathroom are finished. I thought I would share a few photos since some of you had asked to see the finished product.
The last thing I did was to make two new valances for my kitchen. The other one is over the kitchen sink. The other valances were store bought white with blue and yellow embroidered ribbon flowers on the edge. It got the pattern for the new valances from August 2009 issue of McCalls Quilting magazine. The pattern calls for fat quarters but I just bought yardage and used two fabrics. I really like how they look.
So as you can see from the before picture I used to have a yellow and blue kitchen but now it is done in greens and browns. The "before" photo shows blue lines I painted by hand. I had blue buttons glued to thumbtacks stuck in the wall at the intersections. I had gotten the idea from a magazine. I had already taken the buttons off when I took the photo. There is also spackle on the wall too. Now a totally new look. The paint I used for the kitchen is Behr "Cafe' Cream." I bought the paint with the primer in it. The painters still had to put three coats on that section of the wall. I won't waste my money on that paint again. I like Behr paint but I thought it would do a better job covering the lines.
This little corner used to have a small book case here but I moved it. I brought this stool and some of my brown and green quilts to fill in this corner.
I really like my oak cabinets but decided to up date the handles. The brass and the wood on the old ones was looking pretty bad especially the ones near the kitchen sink.
Here is the kid's bathroom. We have been in this house 14 years. When we moved here the kids were teenagers. I did the stenciling around the perimeter of the bathroom to match the shower curtain. Since the painters had to put three coats on in the kitchen they decided to put primer on the stenciling first. They did not want to have to put three coats in there too. When I was taking the "after" photos it was hard to get the lighting right so the bathroom stills looks a little yellow but the paint is Behr Creamy White.
New lights added. New towel rods were added too.
I made this small picture to hang on the wall by the sink. I got this pattern from the Moda Bake Shop.
New faucet, bathroom accessories, and guest towels add the finishing touches.
A Finish!

With Passion,
Carrie P.

29 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

Nothing works better to the change the look than a fresh coat of paint, or in your case THREE! Very pretty.

Unknown said...

looks great, love your makeover work

Simone de Klerk said...

An AMAZING makeover, Carrie! Wow, you must feel as though you are living in a new home. Love it all!

Char said...

Great job. I had those valances in my kitchen before we painted last year. I got lots of complements on them.

Susan said...

The new hardware on the kitchen cabinets looks great! I love those details. Everythings looks so nice, it's always a good feeling.

Annette said...

It's all so beautiful Carrie!

Sharon said...

Carrie, it all looks fabulous! Thank you for sharing pics with us!

FlourishingPalms said...

Isn't it remarkable what a difference a not-too-expensive update can do to a home? We did the same a few years ago, and I like it so much. Behr brand paint is my all-time favorite paint. I won't ever use anything else. In fact, I just learned today that Behr brand paint purchased at Home Depot over Labor Day weekend, will be rebated at the rate of $5 a gallon. A good deal... if you need more painting done. It looks like you have a finish though. And a very nice one at that.

Brandie said...

You've been busy! It looks great! Love the new colors.

Ivory Spring said...

Beautiful! You certainly are talented. I love that you made so many of your decorative accents!

LuAnn said...

It looks so fresh and updated. I love how you have added your homemade touches and your quilts. Those are the things that make a house a home.

Yvette said...

Great work! I need to do the same thing,

Cathy said...

Love it all. You want to come and do my house now? lol

Hugs

marina said...

Great Job, those rooms look lovely.

StitchinByTheLake said...

I just love redecorating - wasn't that just so much fun? Everything looks great! You're the second person I've heard say that the paint with primer wasn't working well. :( blessings, marlene

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Oh Carrie, What a fun post! I love to see before and after pictures. You did an amazing job! What a happy feeling in your home.

Allie said...

Wow great transformation - love all the before and after pics, your home is beautiful Carrie!

Crispy said...

Ooooo beautiful changes!! I bet you smile everytime you walk into the "new" rooms :0)

Crispy

Anonymous said...

Isn't it wonderful what a fresh coat of paint can do for inspiration and updating? It looks inviting Carrie...absolutely wonderful so fresh and clean.

MamaT said...

Very nice! Love your updates. Thanks for the tip on the paint with the primer already added. We'll be helping our oldest paint and move into a different house in a couple of weeks.

~Kris~ said...

Congratulations. It all turned out so nice. Love the valance.

Loralynn said...

Very nice!

Robin said...

It looks like all the hard work paid off-- the transformations are awesome! The new hardware on the cabinets is beautiful, and I love that creamy color. And the bathroom looks all grown-up and gorgeous. Great job!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Well done. Do you make house calls?

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Beautiful! All of them!
xx, shell

M and M plus 3 said...

Isn't it great how a little paint and a change can make you feel so different?! I love to paint and repaint. It's like changing clothes for me. Totally changes the mood.

Shakerwood said...

It looks wonderful! I can't wait to see it in person when I come visit next August!!

Catherine B said...

Great post - wonderful makeovers!!!
Very inspiring - lots of little changes make such a difference.
Love it!!
xo Catherine

Nanette Merrill said...

Great stuff at your house. You've been busy.