Last week I was able to finish my free motion quilting challenge. Before I actually started the feathers I went to Leah Day's post about stippling. I did some practice with it first. I really like her suggestion to stipple in rows. I always went in a circle and then I would get stuck. Working in rows really worked for me.
I had this variegated machine quilting thread in my stash so I used it. It worked well. I like the look it creates for the feathers. I also used a #14 top stitch needle this time.I seem to remember last month's quilter, Frances Moore suggesting it. Don't quote me on that.

Diane Guadynski was the guest quilter on the SewCalGal blog for February. I enjoyed learning how to make the feathers the way she did. I liked it because it meant not going over some of the same lines which looks so messy when I do it. I have a hard time going over a line that I have already quilted.
As you can see here my feathers have a squared look to them. I tried very hard to get a rounded look and some of them do look round.
I tried going back down the spine and look a the way the feathers end up. So for me I will have to begin at the bottom of the spine and go up if my feathers are going to look some what like feathers.
I really enjoyed doing the echoing on the feathers even though it is not as smooth as I would like. I definitely need to work on getting my echos much closer together like Diane's.
I took this picture of a ZZ plant that I own. My feathers reminded me of this plant more than feathers.
Here is my final piece. It looks pretty good standing 15 feet from it. I did wash the piece. I thought about making a pillow out of the piece but I think I will just wait and see what other ideas I can come up with.
With Passion,
Carrie P.
23 comments:
WOW!! Awesome job. I didn't practice as much as I would have liked this month. I am loving this challenge. I definitely have more confidence. I have learned alot on Leah's site as well. this is my Year of FMQ
I am so impressed Carrie - mine would look like a bird's nest! These are great!
I think you are doing a wonderful job! Looks great! I think the row thing is much easier. I started doing that as well and mine has much improved. Don't you just love being able to stipple! Look forward to seeing more of your work.
Wow girl, your feathers look GREAT!!
Looking good. Wow, your practice is really paying off. It takes tremendous eye/hand coordination and I usually lose track of where I came from and where I need to go next!
That is a great idea to use darker thread so you can see your work, good practice idea. I haven't tried a feather yet, but I enjoyed watching the free patsy thompson videos, she makes it look so easy, lol.
Debbie
Fabulous!! Feathers are new to me too so I can relate completely to all that you say!! I'm off now to do a bit more so I can do a post too!
Those feathers are looking mighty good. I like the fill in that is between the feathers. I guess it would be best described as echo quilting.
You are doing great! The feathers look good and you will find some clever way to showcase them. Free motion feathers still intimidate me. :-0
I think your FMQ work is great, the final photograph at the bottom looks wonderful... don't be too hard on yourself!
Wow Carrie! Your last photo is gorgeous! I think you've done an excellent job! So very pretty!!!
You definitely have talent! Congratulations!
Wow! Great work.
You did a great job!! WOw!
Love the feathers. I need tons of practice. Still I do better than when I first started.
You're doing it! Yay for you, now it's all uphill. Love the feathers.
I have got to learn how to do this. Your feathers look great!
Oh wow! I haven't ever free motioned anything but meander. I need to practice! Looking fabulous!
Carrie, you blow me away!! What skill you are developing. I'm kind of jealous......when I get back to my own machine, I'm going to give it another try. I'll need to find the proper foot while I'm in the states. Great job!
Your quilting and feathers looks awesome!!! Wow!! You are getting good, girl!
Wow! Gorgeous feathers, Carrie! Your practice is really paying off. I'm off to check out SewCalGal now and see what I can learn! :)
Holy Moly girl, look at you go! Your practice pieces are awesome!
I think your feather quilting looks really good.
BTW, I'm finally connected to a new ISP and have faster internet - yay! Right now I am reading all your blog posts from 29 February forward; I probably won't comment on them all!
Post a Comment