Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Last weekend

This past weekend my husband and I took a day trip to a town called Asheboro. Every weekend this summer we have been so busy around the house we decided to take a break. We did a little antique shopping, ate lunch, and visited two very,very small quilt shops.
This was a display window at the antique mall that we visited. I just thought it was so fun and artistic. Look close on the little table. See the plastic Kool-aid pitcher and glasses? Did you drink Kool-aid when you were a kid? I did!
Asheboro has a great zoo which we visited several times when our kids were little. This was a painted mural downtown near the antique store.
Train coming! Get off the tracks! Another mural which has sound effects. The horn blows every once in while. There are train tracks that run down the middle of town and while we were in the store a train did come by very slowly.
Don't let the giant bug bite you!
This past weekend I also decided to do the star quilt along from Temecula Quilt Co.
There we will be a new star on the blog each Friday. These are the first two. As you can see I decided to do mine with some Christmas fabric. The first star center is actually half square triangles in the pattern but I wanted to add the fussy cut ornament fabric so my center looks a little different.
With Passion,
Carrie P.

23 comments:

Shakerwood said...

What a cute little town. When I visited Mary Quilt Hollow 2 years ago, she told me about the antique mall but we didn't get to go. Did you see any white enamel coffee pots?

Printed Temecula's Sew a Long but haven't done anything with it.... as usual.

Janet said...

I love your little Christmas stars! I wasn't sure why she did hst's in the center of that star anyway. I look forward to this Friday's installment :0)

Allie said...

That looks like a very fun place to visit, Carrie, I love the murals, they are very well done. They look so realistic! Yes, I remember the Kool-Aid mustaches, lol...my mom was the Kool-Aid mom on the block.

Your blocks look great, love the fussy-cut ornament in the first one!

Darlene said...

What a wonderful getaway. Thank you so much for sharing all the fabulous pictures.

Love your Christmas blocks, Carrie.

Cyndi loves to stitch said...

Guess I'm still a kid because I still drink koolaid fairly often!! ;) What a fun trip to the antique shop and the bug on the wall is way COOL!! Cute star blocks TOO!

Brandie said...

It looks like a great place to visit.
Lovely blocks. I really like that green

Lynn said...

I didn't realize that there were any quilt shops in Asheboro. Once the weather cools down a bit, I think we need our summer time trip to the zoo!

Nanette Merrill said...

How fun. I love day trips like that.

Barb said...

Your star quilt is going to be fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Looks familiar....LOL. Was fun to have you pop in!

Melissa said...

Those murals are positively awesome. Thank you for sharing them!

Sheila said...

It is always nice to get away and see something different. We drank a lot of Kool-aid as a kid, and it was before sugar free. I think you would put a whole cup of sugar in to make two quarts. Love the Temecula blocks. I never thought of making it with Xmas fabric, what a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Candace said...

Oh how I love Asheboro, Carrie! Mr. S and I stayed in a lovely B&B, strolled the streets, went to an incredible folk art center and even drove a little ways into the Smokey Mtns! Maybe we can visit again someday with you and Bruce along!
Cheers!

Lynne said...

Asheboro looks like a fun place to visit. Love the train mural and the giant bug and the antique store looks very interesting.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

You two go on such fun little excursions Carrie! I'm going to plan one for us - but I hate to leave the lake in the summer. Love your Summer Star blocks.

marina said...

lovely murals.
Your star blocks are beautiful! a lovely fabric selection too.
Love your granny block too.
Lots of loveliness.

Lynn said...

Oh that antique store looks like my cup of tea! Yes, I drank my Kool-aid while watching Crusader Rabbit after the school bus dropped me off. Thank you for the good memories Carrie.

Cathy said...

Yep I drank to Kool Aid...lol Made many a pitche for my kids. Love your star blocks. I need to make some when I get back from vacation. Hugs

IHaveANotion ~ Kelly Jackson said...

I"ve been without a bot for a bit and I"m out catching up. I love the murals....so much fun.

A quilt a long? Where do you find the time? I want some of it :) Lovely fabric and block.

Smiles,
Kelly

Beulah said...

I only know of 1 quilt shop in Asheboro where are the shops that you visited? I live close enough for a day trip, I would love to visit them!

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Looks like a fun adventure. I'm hoping to find some cute little shops when David and I go to Chimney Rock this weekend.
xx

LesQuilts said...

Wonderful day you had with hubby!
Great idea to do the sew along with Christmas Fabric! I'm wanting to start, but didn't know what fabrics to pull from my stash, thanks for the idea!
Take care, Leslie

LesQuilts said...

Wonderful day you had with hubby!
Great idea to do the sew along with Christmas Fabric! I'm wanting to start, but didn't know what fabrics to pull from my stash, thanks for the idea!
Take care, Leslie