Sunday, September 15, 2013

Before and After

The guild that I am a member of puts out a newsletter each month. One of the members sent in a request to be published. She knew someone that had an applique pillow that needed repair.  I emailed the member and told her I was interested. We met at one of local quilt shops and this is the pillow she gave me.
 The original request from the owner of the pillow was just to repair the background fabric. Well, I didn't see any way of doing that without taking the whole thing apart. So I carefully un-sewed the rooster making sure to keep it all together as much as possible. I did not want to lose any of those pieces. Then I un-sewed the background fabric from that blue border fabric. This pillow had been used a lot and the fabrics were very faded. If you look close on the main body of the rooster you can see some yellow embroidery. All but those two lines were missing. A lot of the brown embroidery on his chest was broken threads. If you look to the right you can see where there is top stitching done on the brown that was an attempt to repair the piece.
 Here is Mr. Rooster in all his glory again.
 I appliqued him to the new background and did all the embroidery over again. I replaced the purple part with a color that was similar to the faded piece which was torn too. I added the yellow embroidery that I could see on the original piece.
 Then I hand quilted around the rooster like the original piece. The lady who owns this pillow must love it very much for some reason to want it repaired. I hope she will be happy with my repairs.
With Passion,
Carrie P.

23 comments:

Abby and Stephanie said...

Oh gosh that's a lots of work and you did a fantastic job...more than repair I'd say. I can imagine the owner of the pillow is thrilled.

Jeanna said...

I don't know why but this brought a tear to my eye. I can only imagine the love the owner must have for this pillow to want it restored. And then all the work you put into it... great job Carrie!

MamaT said...

She should be VERY happy! You did a great job!

WoolenSails said...

You did a beautiful job on redoing the background and keeping it with the look of the original, nicely done.

Debbie

Astrid said...

You did a fantastic job! It looks great and I'm quite sure the owner of the pillow will be very, very happy!

Lynette said...

Hey, Carrie - what a terrific job! He looks marvelous again. :)

Melissa said...

Wow! You did so much work! It is lovely all over again! Congratulations!

Angie in SoCal said...

Fabulous job, Carrie! She is sure to be thrilled with your repair job. And thanks for walking us through the process - worthy of bookmarking.

Rosie said...

Excellent job Carrie! She will be very happy with the result.

Lynne said...

Oh, Carrie, how good of you to volunteer and what a wonderful job you've done.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Wonderful job I am sure that pillow had a significant meaning to her that she wanted it repaired. Hopefully she gets many more years of enjoyment out of it. You did lovely work.

Janet said...

You fixed it beautifully!! It is ready for lots more loving now :0)

Aunt 'Reen said...

You put a lot of detailed and totally awesome work into restoring Mr. Rooster! I love all the embroidery you added. What a treasure this pillow has once again become. I love your skills and passion for handwork! You are always such an inspiration - thank you for sharing!

Judy said...

She's going to love your work! You did a great job restoring it and thanks for sharing all of the photos with us.
Enjoy your week,
Judy

Brandie said...

Carrie, you did a fabulous job! You went the full mile with the repairs, I know they'll be happy with their new beloved pillow.

Katherine said...

Lovely repair job, Carrie! He looks better than ever and I bet the owner is delighted with your craftsmanship and attention to detail.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

What a great save... I would have been at a loss as to how to salvage it!

Candace said...

It looks better than new, Carrie! She will be so thrilled with what you've done!
Cheers!

Sheila said...

She will be thrilled it looks wonderful, your repair job is fantastic , better than new !

Robin said...

That is one well-loved rooster. :) I'm sure that all of your efforts to repair it will be greatly appreciated. Beautiful work, Carrie!

marina said...

you have done a great job, as good as new and ready for many more years of enjoyment.

Raewyn said...

Yes, she must have really loved this cushion and you have done a wonderful job of restoring it for her.

~Kris~ said...

You really did an amazing job, Carrie. I don't think I would have known where to start.